Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2022, 05:44 PM

449 posts, read 251,738 times

Advertisements

Since my days at Kutztown State College/Kutztown University in the first half of the 1980's, three boroughs of Berks County have been absorbed out of existence:

Temple (absorbed by Muhlenberg Township)
West Lawn (absorbed by Spring Township)
and
Wyomissing Hills (absorbed by Wyomissing borough)

OTOH since my KU days, the borough of New Morgan has been carved out of Caernarvon and Robeson Townships.

What's the backstory of these banished boroughs and the relatively new borough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 07:32 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Every place probably has a different reason for changing their designation, but it's based off of population, and when your area hits a certain population, they can apply for a different status or the reverse.

Explainer: Cities, boroughs, and townships, oh my! Pa. municipalities clarified

Old 02-05-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Every place probably has a different reason for changing their designation, but it's based off of population, and when your area hits a certain population, they can apply for a different status or the reverse.

Explainer: Cities, boroughs, and townships, oh my! Pa. municipalities clarified
That doesn't really answer my question, though I appreciate the article and its conciseness.

What I'm looking for is... was there pushback? Surely there must be a Berks Countian on C-D who remembers when these consolidations were being debated? How much ink did the Reading Eagle (and the Reading Times before that newspaoer was absorbed into the Eagle) give these processes? How much community input was granted (hearings, etc.)? Were there any Wyomissing Hillers, West Lawners, or Templeites protesting, "Don't take away our borough!" ?

Old 02-05-2022, 10:57 AM

1,398 posts, read 915,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothwynman View Post
Since my days at Kutztown State College/Kutztown University in the first half of the 1980's, three boroughs of Berks County have been absorbed out of existence:

Temple (absorbed by Muhlenberg Township)
West Lawn (absorbed by Spring Township)
and
Wyomissing Hills (absorbed by Wyomissing borough)

OTOH since my KU days, the borough of New Morgan has been carved out of Caernarvon and Robeson Townships.

What's the backstory of these banished boroughs and the relatively new borough?
I grew up in Wyomissing Hills. I didn't know the borough officially merged with Wyomissing, but I'm not surprised. There really wasn't much of a difference in demographics or culture or identity between Wyo and the Hills. West Reading has a much stronger unique identity vs Wyomissing than the Hills did. If I were still there, I would not have fought to keep Wyo Hills as a separate place.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
I grew up in Wyomissing Hills. I didn't know the borough officially merged with Wyomissing, but I'm not surprised. There really wasn't much of a difference in demographics or culture or identity between Wyo and the Hills. West Reading has a much stronger unique identity vs Wyomissing than the Hills did. If I were still there, I would not have fought to keep Wyo Hills as a separate place.
If your take on the Wyos is typical, then it appears there was next to no pushback re the redrawing of the Berks County municipality map. My question appears to have been answered. Thank you.

Old 02-18-2022, 06:13 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
I just noticed your username, Boothwynman. We lived in Garnet Valley when it was also called Boothwyn and we were forever explaining where we lived by saying, "Not the town of Boothwyn. We live in Garnet Valley School District." Changing names for some areas is very welcomed by residents.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-26-2022, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I just noticed your username, Boothwynman. We lived in Garnet Valley when it was also called Boothwyn and we were forever explaining where we lived by saying, "Not the town of Boothwyn. We live in Garnet Valley School District." Changing names for some areas is very welcomed by residents.
IIRC Garnet Valley has its own ZIP code now.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:30 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothwynman View Post
IIRC Garnet Valley has its own ZIP code now.
I know. That happened soon after we moved and they put the sewer through and replaced all the fields and woods with developments.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania