Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2022, 10:03 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,444 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move from Austin, Texas to PA by the end of the year. We are keeping a small residence in Texas in order to go back to visit grandchildren but want our larger home will be in PA. Our daughter and son-in-law will be moving to Rochester, NY for his residency. in June so being a little closer will be nice. We are driving them back there and want to spend some time exploring possible places to live in PA. Austin has been nice these 10 years but we don't want to put down permanent roots here.

It has always been a dream of mine to live somewhat close to NYC, so we thought we would give it a go. We would like to live close (within a couple of hours) to Manhattan but try to be as close as we can to Rochester, meaning nothing too far south. As long as we can get to Rochester for weekend visits that would be perfect.

We have looked at some places in Bucks County/New Hope/Doylestown but I am also interested in new builds. We are in our fifties and not looking to renovate an old home. My husband has family in NJ, we love visiting, but we don't really want to live there.

Our price range for a turn-key home would be up to 900k. A neighborhood with some land would be great. We don't want to be on top of other homes but my husband travels so I want to feel safe when he is gone which is why a neighborhood would be nice. I also want to be within 20 minutes of some shopping --- nothing fancy just Target, Homegoods, some restaurants, etc.

If anyone has any suggestions of places to look I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 08:08 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,176,126 times
You can be close to NYC/NJ or Rochester but not both. I suggest looking into Hemlock Farms in Pike County, which is about a 2 hour drive to NYC. This is a gated community with a wide variety of houses and amenities. For half of your housing budget, you can buy a very nice property there.

For closeness to Rochester, I suggest looking into either Wellsboro, Mansfield, Towanda or Coudersport in PA's northern tier. Wellsboro is especially nice and the people are friendly. New build homes are hard to find as those areas are not growing but there are estate type homes on acreage, which fall well within your budget.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:15 AM

543 posts, read 1,900,444 times
Thank you so much. This is exactly the type of info. I’m looking for! I appreciate it

Old 05-08-2022, 03:03 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,486 times
Wellsboro
Scranton
Elmira, NY

Old 05-08-2022, 06:27 AM

30,512 posts, read 16,209,926 times
I think Corning would be preferable to Elmira if you're going into NY. Maybe Binghamton. Haven't been there in years but it used to be a nice city. There's SUNY Binghamton actually in Vestal.

Both Corning and Binghamton have lots of creativity floating around. Elmira not so much although still a decent city.

Coudersport is gathering momentum in its uphill climb from what it was. Still a ways to go but for that amount of money you probably buy about half the county. ok, slight exaggeration.

Wellsboro and Mansfield, about 12 miles apart connected by rte 6, are both very musical. Actually most of Tioga PA county really. (There's a Tioga county in NYS too).

Lots of quilters around too. Also Tioga County PA has lots of hiking trails, kayaking, fishing, hunting, all kinds of outdoor stuff.

Caveat: if you look anywhere in the northern tier of PA, check out where the fracking has occurred. And especially the water quality unless you move to a place that has community water.

Old 07-13-2022, 09:01 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,137,694 times
In this era it baffles me why anyone would want to be close to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania