Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 07:44 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
That is the entire problem here; they don't want to reduce crime in Philadelphia, they wallow in it.
In a Democracy, only the voters in Philadelphia can reduce crime there, no matter who posts what on the internet. Good luck and God speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 09:37 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,450,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Sorry
It's okay. I forgive you. I think most people make the mistake of getting too heated during disagreements, especially when committed to proving the worthiness of one's point.

Quote:
I hurt your feelings by stating a fact about Democracy. I hope you realize that I started this thread precisely because an elderly man was murdered for kicks by children on the streets of his own neighborhood at 2:30 in the morning. It was shocking and horrifying. Since then, something shocking and horrifying seems to happen in Philadelphia every day.
My feelings weren't hurt, but I do appreciate your attention to such matters. I hope and will believe you hereon out that you are sincerely concerned for the victims of crime. Just remember, I am but one person in a city of over 1.5 million. Obviously, I can't change things alone. No one person has the answer to solving this spike in Philadelphia and beyond. It will take collaboration and de-politicization of a highly politicized topic. Just remember, saying unkind things about people will not change crime spikes. That's a fact, regardless of how you feel about it.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
It's okay. I forgive you. I think most people make the mistake of getting too heated during disagreements, especially when committed to proving the worthiness of one's point.

My feelings weren't hurt, but I do appreciate your attention to such matters. I hope and will believe you hereon out that you are sincerely concerned for the victims of crime. Just remember, I am but one person in a city of over 1.5 million. Obviously, I can't change things alone. No one person has the answer to solving this spike in Philadelphia and beyond. It will take collaboration and de-politicization of a highly politicized topic. Just remember, saying unkind things about people will not change crime spikes. That's a fact, regardless of how you feel about it.
I'm not sure if you're sincere about any of this or if you just want to play word games.

Stating a fact about Democracy is not unkind. Voters are adults by definition and I'm not about to feel sorry for them for re-electing a guy they already knew. Krasner won re-election with 72% of the vote in 2021 and if the legislature hadn't imposed term limits on him this past April, I'll bet he'd win landslide re-elections until he went toes-up. Ultimately, simply getting rid of Krasner addresses the symptom but not the cause. If voters want another Krasner, they'll get one.

My original question "Can the governor fire Larry Krasner?" was a visceral reaction to a heinous crime. In retrospect that would be a paternalistic, short-term solution and so would impeachment by the legislature without the support of local Philadelphia lawmakers.

Good luck in 2025 with whoever becomes DA next. It may be someone better than Krasner, or it could be someone the same or worse, depending on whom the voters choose.

Old 10-14-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if you're sincere about any of this or if you just want to play word games.

Stating a fact about Democracy is not unkind. Voters are adults by definition and I'm not about to feel sorry for them for re-electing a guy they already knew. Krasner won re-election with 72% of the vote in 2021 and if the legislature hadn't imposed term limits on him this past April, I'll bet he'd win landslide re-elections until he went toes-up. Ultimately, simply getting rid of Krasner addresses the symptom but not the cause. If voters want another Krasner, they'll get one.

My original question "Can the governor fire Larry Krasner?" was a visceral reaction to a heinous crime. In retrospect that would be a paternalistic, short-term solution and so would impeachment by the legislature without the support of local Philadelphia lawmakers.

Good luck in 2025 with whoever becomes DA next. It may be someone better than Krasner, or it could be someone the same or worse, depending on whom the voters choose.
I'm not sure if you're truly feeling ambivalent, or if you just wanted to accuse me of playing word games.

You are mischaracterizing our conversation. Stating that the "voters got the DA that they deserve" in such a way is not a "fact," it's a feeling. And in the context of discussing horrifying crimes in Philadelphia, it is a feeling obviously meant to stir vitriol. So, you're not just peddling in facts. I know, many right-leaning people love trying to emanate a person who peddles solely in fact-based conclusions, but really, you're peddling in feelings.

A more palatable feeling would be, "I am so disappointed people are misguided. I hope that people change their vote in the future, because I care about the victims of crime." And remember, for all of Krasner's problems, he ain't even close to the #1 issue in Philadelphia causing crime. There has been bad crime in Philadelphia for ages, and there is a crime spike nationwide. So as much as I see the issues with Krasner's approach, it is silly to pretend he is the main factor in these circumstances.

Yes, let's hope our democracy remains in tact, so it will be the voters who decide, not elitist politicians.

Old 10-14-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I'm not sure if you're truly feeling ambivalent, or if you just wanted to accuse me of playing word games.
Sorry (not sorry) you feel unfairly accused of playing word games.

Quote:

You are mischaracterizing our conversation. Stating that the "voters got the DA that they deserve" in such a way is not a "fact," it's a feeling...
I went back and looked up my post that you're so hung up on. Here's what I said regarding the hypothetical impeachment of the Philadelphia DA, and I stand by it:

Quote:
Impeachment is always a political choice, and describing the grounds for impeachment is a marketing job. If the Legislature had something to gain by impeaching Krasner, they would do it. A cynic might say that leaving Krasner in place is better for Republicans than impeaching him. A cynic might also say that 72% of Philadelphia voters got the District Attorney they deserve.

As for 13 year old Jeremiah Wilcox, he will never get a chance to vote.
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-lane/3387633/
Again, I stand by the statement and if you want to call me "unkind" one last time, go for it.

Old 10-14-2022, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Sorry (not sorry) you feel unfairly accused of playing word games.

I went back and looked up my post that you're so hung up on. Here's what I said regarding the hypothetical impeachment of the Philadelphia DA, and I stand by it:

Again, I stand by the statement and if you want to call me "unkind" one last time, go for it.
Jtab, seriously, I forgive you and understand how heated things can get in disagreements. I’m as guilty as any other. It is true that the political landscape these days is incredibly cynical. Floating cynical, vitriolic/mindsets feelings does nothing to further the cause of reducing violent crime. I can’t wait until this whole “being unkind is cool” thing goes out of fashion. It’s way outworn its stay.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:28 AM

A 15 year old girl from the Poconos was shot in North Philly over the weekend. One young man was killed, and another is/was in a coma. The girl was "only" shot in the leg but hopefully will be OK. Why shoot a 15 year old girl?

I've heard that the state legislature is moving ahead with plans to impeach Krasner, but that's like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound. The next DA will be a Larry Krasner clone.

https://6abc.com/north-philadelphia-...shot/12559767/

Old 12-14-2022, 12:57 PM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Krasner's an incompetent douche like Mayor Kenny, so is Governor Wolf and so is Josh Shapiro. Pa is better off without any of hem.

Old 12-14-2022, 03:33 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Krasner's an incompetent douche like Mayor Kenny, so is Governor Wolf and so is Josh Shapiro. Pa is better off without any of hem.
Well, the last of those just got elected Governor, so you're going to have to live with him for the next four years or move to another state.

Old 12-14-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Well, the last of those just got elected Governor, so you're going to have to live with him for the next four years or move to another state.
I've heard psychedelic therapy is really on the up and up. It could be a great strategy to alter one's reality without having to physically move into alternative realities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania