Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 03:30 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
well I tell ya what, your first sentence was spot on promising what your post would be, and it did not lie.

talk about stating an objective and then hitting it.

Just in case you post WAS serious, yanno, you ARE allowed to read and think for yourself before speaking. Ya prolly shoulda done that.

OBVIOUSLY I know what DHS is. did I or did I not state I had a relationship with the PA state admin whose head was picked to run it? And yes, DHS and the agencies that make it up are currently the personal police services of the current admin, or have you been elsewhere or in a coma last year and a half? Do you really want me to whip google out of my back pocket an inundate you with um facts and things? (cuz god knows you would not do any research before you post - you tell us that almost daily.)

Didnt say Rendell introduced US to corruption. I said he introduced ME to PAs never ending corruption. I even used those words. Reading, IS, fundamental. Stop blogging and start reading and WRITING.

and try READING about fetterman. for gods sake you lefties, support this guy - even ones who dont live here - like you - but refuse to do the LEAST amount of research. In those 5 years he was mayor he simply made the lords and gangs in braddock PARTNERS. so sayeth the PSP and US DOJ and is a major topic in the semester allegheny corruption course they teach in PA state universities I described earlier.

Seriously, stop blogging. READ. RESEARCH. WRITE. Its an honorable profession I am told.

(I asked once before and you said no, but I am gonna ask again so you can remind everyone: have you ever BEEN to braddock? and I also asked and you said no: do you know where braddock IS? so based on your answers, stop trying to re-define reality for those of us HERE)

so to go back on topic, re: fettermans latest ad: if we are to hire him for the job based on his one and only failed performance in braddock pa, as if this was something to be proud of, why would OZ not last 5 minutes there? Building places that average people would not last 5 minutes in is the GOAL???? Like I said, irony and reasoning are going to fall beyond your skill set.

for the record, my wife is from baltimore. She endured growing up what EVERY ONE OF YOU never has and considers nightmare material. she considers the mon valley towns around pitt one of the worst she has ever seen. but what would she know right?
Fine, you did say "has become" and "my introduction to..."

And I need to correct something I said: The murders didn't stop the year after he became mayor, but during his two terms in office, the borough did reach the point where it went five years without a murder.

I did go searching for what you said about Fetterman "making the gangs partners" and found nothing along those lines. I did find this Washington Free Beacon story about how Fetterman had a Braddock cop dig up a report on his opponent, who had been charged with domestic abuse but got the charges dropped after taking a domestic abuse class (Pennsylvania law forbids non-criminal justice agencies from disclosing information used to investigate an alleged crime; as the document Fetterman asked for was investigative, and no convictions resulted from the crime, Braddock Borough would have been liable for damages against Fetterman's opponent had a suit been brought).

And I found a report by WHYY's Katie Meyer, republished on the website of Pittsburgh's public radio station, WESA, that shows that Fetterman has his share of critics in Braddock, where he had sour relations with a majority of the borough council; Meyer found no shortage of people who criticized Braddock for (along the lines of a certain other politician) making everything about him once he became mayor.

I also found this Politico story by my former Phillymag colleague Holly Otterbein that examined why so many of Fetterman's fellow Democrats opposed him in the runup to this year's Democratic primary. (While at Phillymag, Otterbein went back to her native York County (where Fetterman grew up) before the 2016 election to learn what led people there to back Trump; I think it was an exceptionally perceptive report that also did its subjects the favor of taking them seriously.) I already knew a number of Democrats here who said that Fetterman was engaging in what I called "blue-collar cosplay," and there's plenty of material to back up that allegation. Some of it appears in the two stories I link here.

But nothing suggesting that Fetterman made gangs his allies while mayor. So it's your turn to provide links on that allegation now. From everything I can tell, his chief sins as mayor of Braddock were a thin skin (i.e., he didn't take criticism well), relying on what I might call the "Stuff White People Like" approach to reviving Braddock's faded downtown, and an indifference to the nuts and bolts of his role as (part-time) mayor. (It seems the reason his father was his means of support during his years as mayor is because the job paid only $150 per year.) And even with all this, some in Braddock, including his successor as mayor up to a point, will still stick up for him and his work.

And once again: I'm not a "blogger". I'm a journalist, though one who writes about real estate rather than politics. I've been called arrogant myself in the past, so I know the affliction when I see it. You definitely outdo me on that score.

Old 09-19-2022, 05:13 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Misinformation and misinterpretation, all combined in one convenient package and tied up in a bow.

The department whose first head was Tom Ridge, Homeland Security, was a creation of the George W. Bush administration, and Bush plucked him from the governorship to run it. It may have powers many of us do not like, but it's not a "secret police" for any one political party.

Corruption in Harrisburg is a bipartisan affair — Rendell didn't introduce it. Ditto patronage: the reason it took so long for the state to fix its broken system of transportation funding is because the Legislature didn't want to give up control of the Turnpike Commission, a favorite patronage parking lot for legislators. Rendell had originally proposed following Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels' (R) lead and leasing the Turnpike system to a concessionaire, something the City of Chicago also did with its toll road and parking meters. Speaking of the latter, the Philadelphia Parking Authority will similarly never be leased because it's a bone the city Democrats toss to the city GOP as a place where it can park hacks.

Fetterman wasn't celebrating those murders that took place the year he took office by tattooing them on his right forearm; he was reminding himself of what he had been elected to stop. And stop it he did: Braddock went for five years without a single murder after his first year in office. Braddock remains a rough town, but it's less rough than it was before he took office — its current mayor, a Black woman, has done an ad for him both reinforcing that and slamming the GOP for running ads blasting him for that unfortunate incident in his first term where he chased an unarmed black kid with a gun. (Funny, this is something Republicans usually knock Democrats for harping on when they criticize the cops. Their sudden concern for that Black kid rings hollow, and the party showed its cynicism by using this incident to attack Fetterman.)
Thanks for a well-written and intelligent post!

Old 09-21-2022, 06:37 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Just saw this ad on a cable channel. The implication of the ad is that Mastriano is tied in with the perpetrator of the attack on the "Tree of Life" synagogue in Pittsburgh. Many voters will believe what the ad implies is true. It was cleverly designed to do just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...ature=youtu.be
For the good of the thread, please stay on topic and don't insult each other.There's nothing wrong with disagreeing but you cannot call other posters morons, etc.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:18 AM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
"Pro police" Mastriano complains that his buddy was arrested for assaulting an elderly man.

https://news.yahoo.com/kintersville-...221151395.html

I look forward to all the city data simps explaining how "Alpha Doug" as one creep called him, is pro law enforcement. You aren't that clever, the right hates being held accountable.

Yep, Mastriano is pro beating up old people so long as they disagree with them. That is fascism 101.

Old 09-26-2022, 10:21 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
"Pro police" Mastriano complains that his buddy was arrested for assaulting an elderly man.

https://news.yahoo.com/kintersville-...221151395.html

I look forward to all the city data simps explaining how "Alpha Doug" as one creep called him, is pro law enforcement. You aren't that clever, the right hates being held accountable.

Yep, Mastriano is pro beating up old people so long as they disagree with them. That is fascism 101.
The party of "law and order"--except when it's unflattering to their politics. Then they're the "victim of liberal persecution."

Par for the course, I suppose. The far right is full self-righteous hypocritical blowhards.

Old 09-27-2022, 06:17 PM

836 posts, read 850,658 times
While Mastriano is the confederate and the white supremacist, I'm not impressed by Shapiro at all. He's the attorney general, which means that he enforces the law throughout PA. Philadelphia is a mess and Pittsburgh isn't far behind. Sit back and watch as these two fight and bash their heads to see who's going to be the next governor: a confederate or a cheater enabler!!!

Old 09-27-2022, 09:18 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
While Mastriano is the confederate and the white supremacist, I'm not impressed by Shapiro at all. He's the attorney general, which means that he enforces the law throughout PA. Philadelphia is a mess and Pittsburgh isn't far behind. Sit back and watch as these two fight and bash their heads to see who's going to be the next governor: a confederate or a cheater enabler!!!
Do you know what the Attorney General's job is?

My guess is no, most of your posts read like a D- result on an 8th grade civics test. Though I would like you to continue to explain how Olivia Newton John's death means the GOP will maintain the MD governor mansion (yes, thats a thing he said).

Last edited by Tweb66; 09-27-2022 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: added MD commentary

Old 09-28-2022, 07:21 AM

1,385 posts, read 909,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Based on Mastriano's view on the governor's power to decertify elections, I'd venture to say that the confederate is the cheater enabler. LOL.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:23 AM

1,385 posts, read 909,333 times
Quote:

My guess is no, most of your posts read like a D- result on an 8th grade civics test. Though I would like you to continue to explain how Olivia Newton John's death means the GOP will maintain the MD governor mansion (yes, thats a thing he said).
The state AG's job is obviously to arrest and prosecute criminals for violations of local laws in every city. Duh. LOL.

Old 09-28-2022, 10:59 AM

836 posts, read 850,658 times
Quote:

I used ONJ's death as a way to sho that Boomers are practically dying off as an influential group. It's best and RIP to ONJ but it's best that Gen-X and Millenials take it from here.

Either way, Shapiro hasn't been doing his job as AG simply because Philadelphia had the second highest rate of murder only behind Chicago and I guess that's something to chuckle about in your world: allowing a guy who gives slaps on the wrists to criminals only for the same criminals to commit the same amount of crimes.

I don't like what Krasner has done to the city and I damned sure don't like what Shapiro has done as AG, but in your world, he's fit to be PA Governor simply because he didn't wear a Confederate uniform. If Shapiro's elected, Philadelphia will practically be more violent than Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore and New Orleans!

And let's not forget 2020! Since Shapiro is the PA AG, I guess he didn't really enforce election laws and was able to squeak his way into another AG term, but he's supposed to be the "top cop" of PA. At least Mastriano was a general who retired honorably, and I say this as an enlisted veteran in case you don't know. I don't think Shapiro has the balls to lead a military unit into battle unlike Mastriano.

And at least as a Democrat candidate, I'd prefer Fetterman over Shapiro but I'm still not sure if I'd vote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania