Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 01:13 PM

1,313 posts, read 873,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Yeah, that's my bet, too.

Interesting that I haven't heard much if any "but he's Muslim" aimed at Oz, even in the primary, and even of the positive "he would be the first" variety. Someone on this forum accused Oz of being pro-Erdogan, which he is not, and someone else accused him of having divided loyalties because of his dual citizenship, but that's about it.
Dual citizenship is an issue and would be for anyone regardless of the second country. While it's an issue/red flag, you have to look at the person and determine whether the dual citizenship is actually creating a conflict of interest to act in the best interest of the US as a US Senator. I don't consider it a big deal for Oz. I have much more serious concerns with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 01:22 PM

1,168 posts, read 574,974 times
I posted a lot about his dual citizenship so I won't do that again, but its enough of an "issue" that he has said he would renounce it if elected. The "if" part is interesting, why not just do it now? Seems to me he is hedging his bets in case he loses, and he already has a credibility problem when it comes to a commitment to representing PA. If you were interviewing for a job and could meet one of the requirements, you'd just do it, not say "well, I do that but only if you hire me first". Its not that I think is an inherently dishonest person but I struggle to find a reason to take that statement at face value.

Old 10-25-2022, 01:53 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,911,428 times
Oz was born as a dual citizen of the United States and Turkey, just as many first generation Americans are born as dual citizens of the U.S. and their parents’ native countries. There’s no reason for Oz to renounce his Turkish citizenship unless and until he becomes elected to national office (which is seen as customary), the same way that Ted Cruz (whom I loathe for numerous reasons but not because I think he’s some kind of foreign subversive) renounced his Canadian citizenship upon being elected to the Senate.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:09 PM

1,168 posts, read 574,974 times
Maybe agree to disagree but the two people are very different. With Ted Cruz, it was a paperwork issue mostly. He didn't own land, wasn't active in Canadian politics, and didn't even vote in Canada at any point. Heck, its not even clear Ted Cruz has any connection to Canada since leaving when he was a young child. I am more concerned about his loyalty to Cancun than Canada.

Old 10-26-2022, 12:03 AM

24,348 posts, read 22,903,146 times
If Josh Shapiro advocates forcing children to get the Covid vaxx then he is a monster or a hopeless idiot.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:42 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,418,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
If Josh Shapiro advocates forcing children to get the Covid vaxx then he is a monster or a hopeless idiot.
Uhmm, is this based in any sort of reality, or are you just grasping at straws, as they say?

Old 10-26-2022, 06:33 AM

7,249 posts, read 10,499,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Neither candidate has indicated that they will impose a K-12 COVID vaccine mandate:

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/po...a/69578603007/

It helps to do your own research instead of intimating falsehoods without even checking.

Old 10-26-2022, 11:24 AM

3,704 posts, read 2,636,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Uhmm, is this based in any sort of reality, or are you just grasping at straws, as they say?
The vaccines have injured and killed too many already. Mandating them would be death sentences for many. CDC statistics.

Old 10-28-2022, 12:54 AM

13,961 posts, read 8,825,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
We have a member on this forum who is openly anti-Semitic and keeps posting borderline (or overt) anti-Semitic things as a reason to not vote for Shapiro.

In terms of not voting for Shapiro I may not agree with (but I can certainly still respect) the vantage point of not voting for him because he, like Gov. Wolf, was "pro-lockdown" at the onset of the pandemic.

If I was a betting man Shapiro and Oz are going to win. PA has a habit of being so moderate/purple that we often vote for a GOP Senator and Democratic governor or vice-versa.
Actually, in the last 60-odd years — ever since the Pennsylvania state Constitution was amended in 1966 to allow governors to succeed themselves — Pennsylvania had two rock-solid political traditions:

The sitting Governor won election to a second term. And at the end of that second term, the governorship changed parties.

The first tradition was broken in 2014 when Gov. Tom Corbett (R), arguably the most conservative governor in the state's modern history, failed to win re-election. The second will be broken Nov. 8 if, as appears likely, Josh Shapiro wins the election to determine who will succeed Corbett's successor, Tom Wolf (D).

If Oz wins, it will be because he has tacked to the center for the general in finest Pennsylvania tradition. I noticed that during the debate, he tried to put some daylight between himself and the MAGA crowd while not rejecting Trump outright (how could he? He was The Donald's handpicked candidate), and he has said the Biden won the 2020 election fair and square.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:43 AM

1,313 posts, read 873,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Actually, in the last 60-odd years — ever since the Pennsylvania state Constitution was amended in 1966 to allow governors to succeed themselves — Pennsylvania had two rock-solid political traditions:

The sitting Governor won election to a second term. And at the end of that second term, the governorship changed parties.

The first tradition was broken in 2014 when Gov. Tom Corbett (R), arguably the most conservative governor in the state's modern history, failed to win re-election. The second will be broken Nov. 8 if, as appears likely, Josh Shapiro wins the election to determine who will succeed Corbett's successor, Tom Wolf (D).

If Oz wins, it will be because he has tacked to the center for the general in finest Pennsylvania tradition. I noticed that during the debate, he tried to put some daylight between himself and the MAGA crowd while not rejecting Trump outright (how could he? He was The Donald's handpicked candidate), and he has said the Biden won the 2020 election fair and square.
Election denialism and/or support of the Jan 6 insurrection should be automatically disqualifying for a candidate. That's clearly a full stop hard no for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania