Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 09:08 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,033 times

Advertisements

hey retcop, I am a nyc corrections officer retiring in oct 07,my wife and i purchased a home in clarks summit and very happy with it and the area. Like
you did massive amounts of research and took our time,years, to find the right place. I live in staten island the trip is approx. 2 hrs. got the house ahead of time because it is a culture shock, but for the better. If there is any info i could help you with feel free to write, good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 12:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower53072 View Post
I used to live in Mountaintop several years ago. if I was to move back to the valley I would definately move to Dallas area. As I remember their school district is one of the better ones. The area back there is very pretty and being near Harvey's lake would be nice.
Also, just a word of advice: There was a big dispute not too long ago as to whether or not your hometown should have been called "Mountaintop" or "Mountain Top", and the TWO-WORD form won. If you do happen to move back to Luzerne County at some point in the future, bear in mind that the one-word people are now in the minority. LOL! I just didn't want you to stick out like a sore thumb. The U.S. Census Bureau now recognizes "Mountain Top" as being an official place, with a population of around 17,000. It is defined as being the five townships of Wright, Rice, Fairview, Dorrance, and Dennison.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:27 PM

396 posts, read 1,698,793 times
LOL. Thanks for the info. When I was there it was one word. I received a Christmas card from an old friend who informed of the December tornado. It went right up my old street of Rockledge drive and tore the roof off a house that was a couple doors down from me. I have some fond memories of living there. The Welcome Wagon has great play groups for families with small children.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:41 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower53072 View Post
LOL. Thanks for the info. When I was there it was one word. I received a Christmas card from an old friend who informed of the December tornado. It went right up my old street of Rockledge drive and tore the roof off a house that was a couple doors down from me. I have some fond memories of living there. The Welcome Wagon has great play groups for families with small children.

That tornado was truly frightening. The windows in the Mr. Z's Supermarket on Route 309 blew in, injuring several employees and customers with shattered glass. I was working outdoors at the time just up the road a few miles at the Lowe's store, and as I looked down over Mountain Top, it looked to be as dark as night---it was truly an eerie sight to behold! Then, the horizontal rain, hail, and gusty winds came out of nowhere! I ran left and right to try to catch carts that were blowing around the parking lot like Matchbox cars before they hit vehicles, and I watched as signs all over the places started to shake violently. A particularly strong gust of wind nearly knocked me over and forced our sliding glass entry doors open, allowing the rain to pour in! As I struggled to maintain order in the lot, my manager came out and told me to get inside because we were under a tornado warning! Still, believe it or not, I had some dumba$$ contractor who wanted me to go back outside in that torrent to help him load something into his vehicle instead of waiting for the storm to ebb. Actually, when you see the path of the tornado's destruction, it appears to have gone back up in the air and then briefly touched down again near Bear Creek, as property owners there reported twisted trees and other damage consistent with a tornado. As such, we in Wilkes-Barre Township were just lucky that we were spared the brunt of this at a time when thousands of shoppers, employees, and commuters were in harm's way! I hate to say this, but I'm happy Mountain Top got whacked and not us, as they had basements!

Old 02-14-2008, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,579 times
We are interested in new developments (1 acre or more) in Exeter or surrounding area. We checked out Saddle Ridge in Dallas, but we are a bit concerned about commuting back to Scranton. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by looking4lots; 02-14-2008 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania