U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:40 AM

15 posts, read 47,014 times

Advertisements

Seems to be a pretty good area. Anyone familiar with it?

Info, thoughts?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 01:22 PM

414 posts, read 1,693,681 times
Dallas is fine...generally upscale, bedroom community to many who once lived in Wilkes-Barre, Kingston and so forth....close to recreation, close to Scranton & Wilkes-Barre, easy drive to the malls, but next door to rural areas---Lehman Township (horses), Penn State campus within the glorious former mansion and farm of the Kirbys (FM Kirby stores) and farmlands, beautiful Harvey's Lake (largest natural lake in eastern PA); then Huntsville and Huntsville dam to the east; Moon Lake County park and so forth.....
Dallas, Trucksville and Shavertownare seeing much development these days, so prepare for more houses, people and sometimes traffic congestion on the main drag back into Wyoming Valley.

Overall, it's an excellent area....check out nearby Lehman Township and Sweet Valley for more rural situation with easy proximity to the urbanized areas...

Old 01-06-2007, 02:07 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,386,172 times
My BIL graduated from Lake Lehman. They had a Dallas address but actually lived in Lehman Township. It's a very nice area. They were right up Idetown Road from the old horseshow grounds (not there any more) on Route 118. They were also very close to Harvey's Lake, which is a beautiful area. They were also close to WB proper and all that it offers, such as the Wyoming Valley Mall and the Wachovia Arena, which has some great events.

There's just so much to do in that area, yet you can still find a quiet neighborhood if that's where you desire to live (rather than living right in the town or city area).

As a "retcop" (another of my BILs is one also) you might notice more "bad" things than other people do, but it's generally a very safe area and a great place to live.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:35 PM

31,776 posts, read 72,963,226 times
Dallas is part of a large, suburbanized area of 30,000 residents known collectively as the "Back Mountain." Here are two photo tours I took of parts of the Back Mountain, one from along Sutton Road in Jackson Township, and another from along Demunds Road in Dallas Township:

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...part-four.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...part-five.html

In general, the Back Mountain is very comparable in demographics to the Clarks Summit/Abington area, which you inquired about several months ago. The majority of the residents are upper-middle-class, possess college degrees, and tend to be Conservative. While most residents of Clarks Summit are formerly from Scranton, most residents of the Back Mountain are formerly from Wilkes-Barre.

There has been tremendous residential growth as of late in the Back Mountain, so keep that in mind (If you purchase a home or building lot, inquire about the zoning status of ALL adjacent undeveloped property, or else you could end up with undesirable neighbors in the future). Route 309, known as the North Cross-Valley Expressway, turns into the "Memorial Highway" as it enters the Back Mountain. This four-lane highway is often-congested, and the unsynchronized lights through Shavertown and Dallas can often back up traffic considerably outbound during the morning rush and inbound during the evening rush. This is the main commuter feeder into the Wilkes-Barre area. Crime in the Back Mountain is very low, and taxes are in-line with the rest of the region. Housing prices here can generally run you around $175,000 for a three-bedroom, 1.5 bath split-level home built in the 1960s in an older development such as Elmcrest or Old Goss Manor, all the way up to the mid-six-figures for many of the newer developments such as Saddle Ridge, Goodleigh Manor, Marine Pointe, Woodridge II, Heritage Hill Estates, etc. There are some pricier properties in the Sutton Road/Bulford Road area especially that can fetch around $1,000,000.

On a national scale, the Back Mountain is comparable to Fairfield County, CT with its narrow, shady roads and hidden mansions. The Back Mountain consists of the following communities:

Dallas (compact, established town)
Dallas Township (many newer developments, commuter area)
Franklin Township (rural area)
Harvey's Lake (growing clash between cottages and McMansions)
Jackson Township (many newer developments, commuter area)
Kingston Township (many newer developments, commuter area)
Lake Township (rural area)
Lehman Township (rural area)

Zip Codes in the area include 18612 (Dallas/Huntsville/Pikes Creek), 18618 (Harvey's Lake), 18621 (Lake Silkworth), 18708 (Shavertown/Trucksville), 18644 (Carverton)

Hope this helps a bit!

Old 01-06-2007, 06:20 PM

15 posts, read 47,014 times
Default Thanks all for your input regarding Dallas.

Very much appreciated and extremely helpful.

Yes SWB- still looking around. If we are going to stay put for the rest of our lives it has to be just right. It will be a bit of a culture shock coming from a busy Long Island burb but we believe it will turn out very nicely.

We decided aginst the south especially Fla. I never evacuated a home during a snowstorm and the prospect of sitting in a shelter riding out a hurricane with a zillion screaming kids around and going back to a home with no roof really doesn't thrill us.

And besides. It's too far from family.

Thanks again for each of your comments and I am sure I will have more areas to inquire about in the near future.

Jim

Old 01-07-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
On a national scale, the Back Mountain is comparable to Fairfield County, CT with its narrow, shady roads and hidden mansions.
er....maybe a smallish Glen Cove LI sort of place in a more rural setting, I'd opine....

Old 01-07-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
er....maybe a smallish Glen Cove LI sort of place in a more rural setting, I'd opine....
I'm not very familiar with Long Island, so I'll have to take your word for it. Our family has driven through many parts of interior Fairfield County in Southwestern CT many times and was impressed by all of the windy, two-lane country roads with plenty of trees and impressive homes, as is the case on Sutton Road, Demunds Road, Bulford Road, etc. In any event, it's still a nice area.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:27 PM

^^^It's one of the wealthiest counties in the USA if not the wealthiest, with Greenwich as its core......like so much of CT, it is full of winding twisty roadways and very old hamlets, very leafy...not unlike much of semi-rural PA, but comparing Fairfiled to Back Mountain beyond topography is stretching it a bit......Back Mountain might have some of the Sordonis and what remains of the terrific Conynghams, etc. but Fairfield is in another realm regarding money and mansions.....Muttontown LI is another such place.....pretty, winding, understated and stinkin' rich....

Old 01-08-2007, 02:04 PM

396 posts, read 1,615,407 times
I used to live in Mountaintop several years ago. if I was to move back to the valley I would definately move to Dallas area. As I remember their school district is one of the better ones. The area back there is very pretty and being near Harvey's lake would be nice.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower53072 View Post
I used to live in Mountaintop several years ago. if I was to move back to the valley I would definately move to Dallas area. As I remember their school district is one of the better ones. The area back there is very pretty and being near Harvey's lake would be nice.
Indeed, it is a nice place to call home. My only true gripes with the Back Mountain are:

1.) Traffic congestion is worsening on Route 309.
2.) The Back Mountain is "fleecing" Wilkes-Barre of middle-class families.
3.) The drive to Scranton is a long haul.
4.) Housing prices have been escalating in recent years.
5.) Water runoff issues are becoming more and more of a concern.

If you're looking for a good school district and a nice setting, why not consider the Wyoming Area School District, which has a wide range of neighborhoods, is nearly equidistant to Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, and still has low taxes? From tree-lined streets and Victorian homes in the "Garden Village" of West Pittston to hidden family compounds on vast acreage in Harding to newer subdivisions in Exeter, this school district has quite a bit to offer new residents in the way of variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>