Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 06:31 AM

29 posts, read 113,398 times

Advertisements

Hello!
First time poster here. I've lurked before and found this forum to be very helpful for others, so I thought I'd post here too!

I will be married in October, and my fiance and I are considering a relocation to the State College area. We have visited the area once, and spent some time in Bellefonte. But, one visit doesn't seem to give the fullest impression. We did see some nice things ... the Victorian charm, the park, and some of the local restaurants. But, I'm hoping for more information.

Can someone tell me more about the town (its pros and cons; the good and bad areas?), the schools, family-friendliness, etc?

We're both in our twenties, getting married soon as I said above, and are looking for somewhere that is walkable (how nice it would be to walk to Church, a farmer's market, a park, etc...), family-friendly (we hope we'll have kids someday!), safe, and all-around enjoyable.

Any insight regarding Bellefonte would be so very appreciated Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 01:38 PM

189 posts, read 704,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmo2283 View Post
Hello!
First time poster here. I've lurked before and found this forum to be very helpful for others, so I thought I'd post here too!

I will be married in October, and my fiance and I are considering a relocation to the State College area. We have visited the area once, and spent some time in Bellefonte. But, one visit doesn't seem to give the fullest impression. We did see some nice things ... the Victorian charm, the park, and some of the local restaurants. But, I'm hoping for more information.

Can someone tell me more about the town (its pros and cons; the good and bad areas?), the schools, family-friendliness, etc?

We're both in our twenties, getting married soon as I said above, and are looking for somewhere that is walkable (how nice it would be to walk to Church, a farmer's market, a park, etc...), family-friendly (we hope we'll have kids someday!), safe, and all-around enjoyable.

Any insight regarding Bellefonte would be so very appreciated Thank you!
Good for you! I will be happy to inform you of a town very close to my heart, Bellefonte, Pa. Bellefonte is a beautiful victorian town, with as you probably all ready know, great architecture. The town is very friendly, with helpful people. Bellefonte has great schools. The schools consist of 4 elementary's: Bellefonte Elem. in the boro, Pleaseant Gap in Spring township, Benner in Benner Township, and Marion-Walker in Walker Township. Plus, the middle school and high school. The High School was just remodeled. Since you want to be able to walk places, I would think you would live in town. (are you thinking of buying or renting?) If you are buying, Curtin and Linn streets are the most desirable, with big houses filled with history and tree lined streets. However, they are pretty expensive. Parkview Heights is a great neighborhood of houses built in anywhere from the '60's to today. However, they rarely go on the market. There truly is no "bad" part of Bellefonte, there is little to no crime. Another idea is Pleasant Gap. It has affordable homes, Bellefonte schools, and is closer to State College. It's a small village, about 5 min. from Bellefonte. Here are some sights to help you:
State College and Centre County Homes, Real Estate in Central PA > Home
Victorian Bellefonte (http://bellefonte.com/index.shtml - broken link)
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
bellefonte.net - Home (http://bellefonte.net/joomla/ - broken link)
Bellefonte Area School District, 318 North Allegheny Street, Bellefonte, PA 16823

Here is a map: (does not include whole boro.)

I sure hope I helped!

Old 06-02-2008, 10:23 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,434 times
I went to PSU and a friend of mine grew up in Bellefonte. It is a very pleasant place- especially during the holiday times. The above posted gave you a very good description of the area. The only con I would say is that it is a small town, and if you are used to bigger areas and cities, it might not be the place for you. Penn State can offer a lot of activities and events (guest speakers, concerts, sporting events) and the State College area has a mall, movie theater and lots of restaurants and bars. Still, it is obviously not at the same level of busyness and size as a city like Philly or Pittsburgh. Still, as the above poster said, everyone is VERY friendly and it is a very safe area- sort of like living a few decades away (or it seems that way, I wasn't born yet....)

Anyways best of luck!

Old 06-03-2008, 04:59 AM

Lion and Mar, thank you both very much for your replies!
Lion, you say Bellefonte is dear to you. Did you/do you live there?

I have indeed been on Curtin St. - We walked down that street and saw all the beautiful homes! Its so different than the southern side of the town, on the other side of the courthouse. Some of those homes look like they need a bit of help... Is that going to happen in any town, where one side is nicer than the other?

We have walked through Talleyrand park, which is very cute. We saw a movie at the one room theater, which was so nice. We hear there is a farmer's market in front of the courthouse sometimes. When we visited, it was in early May, so only a few people were out. Does the summer time and fall bring more people to the market?

We also went to Mass at St. John, and noticed at least a few children and younger families. Probably not as many as in State College, but a small walkable town is what we want :-)

The town is definitely cute, especially Curtin St. as you said. I suppose its hard to get a true feeling from one visit, but your posts are reassuring.

... now about the job search!!! haha.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:39 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,132 times
While I can't give specifics, I've been to Bellefonte numerous times, and in fact live in the next county. I think you are making an excellent choice in moving there to start your married life. It is indeed a wonderful little town. Best of luck!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
While I can't give specifics, I've been to Bellefonte numerous times, and in fact live in the next county. I think you are making an excellent choice in moving there to start your married life. It is indeed a wonderful little town. Best of luck!
Thank you I gather by that comment that you would consider Bellefonte to be good for young/growing families?

What seems to remain is my job search. We're 4 months out from marrying and I still have so much job searching to do. (Shameless plug - if anyone out there is in any field which utilizes GIS, I'm here! haha)

Old 06-03-2008, 04:16 PM

189 posts, read 704,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmo2283 View Post
Lion and Mar, thank you both very much for your replies!
Lion, you say Bellefonte is dear to you. Did you/do you live there?

I have indeed been on Curtin St. - We walked down that street and saw all the beautiful homes! Its so different than the southern side of the town, on the other side of the courthouse. Some of those homes look like they need a bit of help... Is that going to happen in any town, where one side is nicer than the other?

We have walked through Talleyrand park, which is very cute. We saw a movie at the one room theater, which was so nice. We hear there is a farmer's market in front of the courthouse sometimes. When we visited, it was in early May, so only a few people were out. Does the summer time and fall bring more people to the market?

We also went to Mass at St. John, and noticed at least a few children and younger families. Probably not as many as in State College, but a small walkable town is what we want :-)

The town is definitely cute, especially Curtin St. as you said. I suppose its hard to get a true feeling from one visit, but your posts are reassuring.

... now about the job search!!! haha.
I say that Bellefonte is dear to me because I have family that live in Bellefonte. I love visiting. The shops downtown have great stuff, like the toy store. It has the kind of toys that you won't find in Wal-Mart. The best restaurants are there too. The Gamble Mill is an awsome place to go for more upscale dining. Jim's Italian Cuisine has great pasta (It's tucked away in an alley, Cherry Ln. maybe?) The farmer's market is great! Always a lot of farmers there selling. I'm glad you liked Talleyrand, great place to take kids on a summer afternoon! They are even expanding it in the future. I do agree with you that the other side of town isn't as nice as Curtin and Linn Streets, but I think you will find that anywhere. Although, believe me the people in any part of town are always friendly. I'm glad you liked the Garman! It's a beautiful theater. They are also have a few plays there, Annie comes this summer and The Wizard of Oz was there this past Spring. Another great thing to do in a small town! For your job search, you might want to check PSU out, they're always hiring.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion11 View Post
I say that Bellefonte is dear to me because I have family that live in Bellefonte. I love visiting. The shops downtown have great stuff, like the toy store. It has the kind of toys that you won't find in Wal-Mart. The best restaurants are there too. The Gamble Mill is an awsome place to go for more upscale dining. Jim's Italian Cuisine has great pasta (It's tucked away in an alley, Cherry Ln. maybe?) The farmer's market is great! Always a lot of farmers there selling. I'm glad you liked Talleyrand, great place to take kids on a summer afternoon! They are even expanding it in the future. I do agree with you that the other side of town isn't as nice as Curtin and Linn Streets, but I think you will find that anywhere. Although, believe me the people in any part of town are always friendly. I'm glad you liked the Garman! It's a beautiful theater. They are also have a few plays there, Annie comes this summer and The Wizard of Oz was there this past Spring. Another great thing to do in a small town! For your job search, you might want to check PSU out, they're always hiring.
Oh man, this sounds like even more great insight

We spent one weekend in Bellefonte to look at homes (to see what they're like - many were very pleasant surprises!!) and to soak up the town. Yes, we went to Garman, to see Iron Man. Beforehand, we ate downstairs in La Tratoria. Yum!! We walked Curtin and Beaver streets (Beaver St. is more our afforability...) and walked to Mass at St. John, the library, the train depot, and the courthouse. The farmer's market was small (mid May), but we got a nice banana bread there haha! The Cafe on the Park was wonderful! Perogis!!!

All in all, the town looks so nice. I think I've been spoiled here in Northern Virginia... But there's something about the small town I would enjoy. My fiance wants to stay home when we eventually have children, and thus she enjoys the idea of the town being quite walkable. She fell in love with the library and the $1.00 movie rentals there. I love the hills for running.

How are the schools, namely the elementary school in town?

I think at this point it does all boil down to a job. I'm a GIS Analyst, and am trying to look into a couple of companies. Although, I have leadership and tech lead experience, so I could theoretically hold a solid position at PSU if I were to open my options a bit and get creative... My goal is simply to make enough to support a family in a small and simple home in a small and simple town. Bellefonte is super-affordable. Just need that job...

Thank you for your awesome insight

Old 06-03-2008, 06:56 PM

308 posts, read 680,018 times
Please pardon me for interjecting into your thread, but I along with you have been very interested in the town of Belefonte and the State College area. Your feelings about living in a simple home in a simple town are shared by my wife and I. Belefonte sounds like a wonderful place to live and raise a family! And it doesnt hurt that its very affordable, especially since my wife would like to eventually be a stay at home mom and house wife. That's nearly impossible living in NJ. Actually, who am I kidding. It is impossible on my salary. : ) I would move there tomorrow if I could land a job. I'm a staff accountant and my wife is a nanny. Anyone know if PSU has any open accounting positions or where I can look for such employment opportunities. Your assistance and advice are greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Gary & Cathy

Old 06-03-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaOnMyMind View Post
Please pardon me for interjecting into your thread, but I along with you have been very interested in the town of Belefonte and the State College area. Your feelings about living in a simple home in a simple town are shared by my wife and I. Belefonte sounds like a wonderful place to live and raise a family! And it doesnt hurt that its very affordable, especially since my wife would like to eventually be a stay at home mom and house wife. That's nearly impossible living in NJ. Actually, who am I kidding. It is impossible on my salary. : ) I would move there tomorrow if I could land a job. I'm a staff accountant and my wife is a nanny. Anyone know if PSU has any open accounting positions or where I can look for such employment opportunities. Your assistance and advice are greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Gary & Cathy
I haven't ventured on their much, but try PSU's website. Google Penn State University.

That being said, no problem joining into the conversation! I am glad! I hope more comments come and more insight is shared. I do hope things work out for you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania