Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:29 AM

558 posts, read 1,831,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Thread necro for the lose.

Please.. look at dates before posting. Replying to someone that posted 6 months ago is excessive imo.
LOL, I didn't even check the date.

Plenty of other people read these threads and can be helped by the info though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 09:40 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,333,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
Thank you lilitzman! You guys don't know how helpful these posts are.
I am moving to PA next year, but am doing as much research as I can online because:
(1) I have never been to PA and we will not be able to make a house hunting trip before moving (we had planned to do so, but cannot.)
(2) My husband will be working in Sinking Spring - we are looking to rent for a year until our house here sells, so all advise on various surrounding towns is much appreciated. ie: do not live in Reading.

Please, keep posting everyone! All of us seeking information appreciate it more than you know!
You're welcome. I know sometimes the original posting is old but situations change, neighborhoods change, etc. Although I didn't have the distance issues like you do I still had to do research before we committed to buying here. I didn't even know this forum existed so it made it even tougher. It can be very difficult moving to an area that you know nothing about. The more opinions and facts you receive the better. Thanks and best of luck

Old 12-04-2008, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,048 times
was wondering how the move to sinking spring went? we are in Ocean County NJ and have been thinking of leaving the area or wernserville or sinking spring. tough to leave the beach area though!

Old 12-04-2008, 01:59 PM

469 posts, read 1,449,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2PA?? View Post
was wondering how the move to sinking spring went? we are in Ocean County NJ and have been thinking of leaving the area or wernserville or sinking spring. tough to leave the beach area though!
I didn't know if you were asking me, sorry.
We are actually moving in April of '09. I can't wait!
I will give a "moving experience" update after we get moved and settled in.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:42 PM

43 posts, read 202,274 times
I really appreciate all the input from all of you. This forum has been really helpful. My house is for sale once again. I think the next thing may be to start posting my resume and see where it takes me. I'm leaning towards Lebanon county, the area close to Hershey or the Cornwall area. Does anyone have info on the Palmyra area and the school district? They're school scores aren't as great as Cornwall-Lebanon or Anneville Cleona.
Thanks again, I'll read whatever you have to post!!

Old 12-05-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
I responded to the OMP because they said they plan on moving within a year, so I thought they were still debating where to go.
Lititzman,
I am still debating where to move to in PA. I have thought of the suburbs of Lebanon, the suburbs of Lancaster and also Allentown and even Scranton. I'm very confused. Thankfully I have all you great people posting your advice and comments.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Hi Katmar! I'm also trying to escape LI for beautiful PA. One thing I have learned on these forums is that you want to get a job first before moving, especially in this economy. I have some areas I like, but I'll let the final decision be my work commute and choose a place that's close. I have a couple of threads where I've been able to get housing and utilities pricing and such. I think there was another thread or two on schools, I don't have that worry so it's not something I took notes on. I'm just waiting for a good job to come my way. Then I'll escape the Island too. Good luck to you and congratulations on trying to make a better life for you and your family. LI has nothing to offer anymore.
lialleycat, lets face it, what in PA can be as high as LIPA? Where in PA are you contemplating?

Old 12-06-2008, 05:29 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,389,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmar37 View Post
lialleycat, lets face it, what in PA can be as high as LIPA? Where in PA are you contemplating?
I was looking all over the eastern side, though now I'm more focused on the Lancaster area. It was my favorite and seems to have the best job prospects. There's also work in Hershey and Harrisburg in that area, should you need to change jobs. Housing is a bit more expensive than in NEPA or the Lehigh Valley, but I think the more job prospects evens that out. However, if I got a good offer from somewhere in NEPA or Lehigh, I'd move there too. Anything to get off the Island!

Old 12-06-2008, 05:52 PM

I'm looking foreward to moving away from LI too. I did hear that Lancaster is friendly at first to new comers but then standoffish. Have you looked into the Annville, Palymra, and Cornwall areas of Lebanon? I've been looking at realestate online and I think it's more expensive in Lehigh than Lancaster but Scranton and Wilkes Barre are very reasonable (but I think the winters are longer there). Is your house for sale here?

Old 12-07-2008, 11:34 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,389,991 times
Haven't put the house on the market yet as I may rent this and rent in PA until the market comes back a little bit. It also gives me a chance to be sure I'm happy with the area I choose before buying a house and ensures that I don't carry a housing profit over a tax year and incur a capital gain. If I can roll the money into a new house before the end of the tax year, that would be better.

As to friendliness, as long as you're friendly and you don't try to make it like LI, I've heard that you'll be ok. They don't like NY'ers coming in and then trying to change the place. Though I've heard that complaint on just about every forum! I guess there are too many rich city people who move to the country, then complain about the dust on their Hummer and Gucci pants and the smell of animal manure. They give the rest of us a bad rap!

I've seen the prices are lower in the Lebanon area, but I really liked the areas around Lititz and may try to find a rental there first. After I get the job, that is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania