Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2007, 09:07 AM

64 posts, read 276,103 times

Advertisements

From what I'm reading, it sounds like folks in these areas are "good people" but not so outwardly friendly, that it takes a while for locals to trust an outsider. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just curious, but since we've been living in Austria for 10 years (we're Americans, husband born in Germany) and we, with our 3 children, can all speak German (OK, with an Austrian twist), might that open doors just a tiny bit to making friends, or at least being an interest, or would that only be maybe with older folks or really the heart of Lancaster county? How much German influence is there around? We'd like the kids not to feel like they have to hide their history (yes, they even wear lederhosen and tracten on occasion!), and would find it sad if they "lost" their german. Might this area be an option for us at least in this respect? If so, where in particular?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 10:01 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meandb View Post
From what I'm reading, it sounds like folks in these areas are "good people" but not so outwardly friendly, that it takes a while for locals to trust an outsider. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just curious, but since we've been living in Austria for 10 years (we're Americans, husband born in Germany) and we, with our 3 children, can all speak German (OK, with an Austrian twist), might that open doors just a tiny bit to making friends, or at least being an interest, or would that only be maybe with older folks or really the heart of Lancaster county? How much German influence is there around? We'd like the kids not to feel like they have to hide their history (yes, they even wear lederhosen and tracten on occasion!), and would find it sad if they "lost" their german. Might this area be an option for us at least in this respect? If so, where in particular?
If I had a choice, I'd stay in Austria. I lived in York a while ago and found myself driving to Baltimore or Philly to find culture. You may find a German restaurant in the greater area one comes to mind, but little in the way if nothing exists of German Heritage if that's even what the area was made of, it's long gone. Same goes for Lancaster, the Amish typically don't hang out with the "English" and though you may strike up a conversation with them, their form of German is different then what you can speak. Maybe with the Mennonites it may be different but the Amish in general are very private people.

Don't bother with downtown York or Lancaster, both cities are cesspools and dangerous, the crime rate exceeds some cities in the USA with larger populations. Some of the outlying areas are nicer but I found people there overall to be very unfriendly and somewhat xenophobic. Not saying everyone that lives there is such.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:43 PM

20 posts, read 71,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meandb View Post
How much German influence is there around? We'd like the kids not to feel like they have to hide their history (yes, they even wear lederhosen and tracten on occasion!), and would find it sad if they "lost" their german. Might this area be an option for us at least in this respect?
Remember, the Germans in Lancaster County are descended from those who were kicked out of Germany/Austria for their religious beliefs. So being from Germany may not win you any points. The German language has pretty much died out in the area except among the Amish who keep to themselves anyway.

As for German culture in general... depends what you mean by German. 1700s religious German, yeah, modern post-WWII German? Certainly not.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 24,850 times
I have lived in York County all my life and have met hundreds of wonderful people in this area. If you reach out to the people in the community I'm sure you could make many life long friends. My husband and I run a moving company and we meet people everyday, most of them warm and friendly. There are always exceptions of course. There are many things to do in Lancaster and York County and unless you are looking for trouble in the wrong sections of town, you have nothing to fear. Downtown York has become very active with many nightclubs, coffee bars, stores and more. There are several theater's in both York and Lancaster. I hope you give York and Lancaster County a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania