Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:02 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by king91274 View Post
I personally don't know much of PA just word of mouth, all I know its not like here in the city, home prices are good and public schools are better, but the word is Monroe county is slowly becoming what I am trying to get away from in respect to graffitti, crime, soon to be overcrowded and the school system is not as great as some other parts of PA, I may be wrong, again I PERSONALLY don't know. I also know catholic churches are scarce in PA and that is very Important to me, here in NYC you will have no problem finding a catholic church. I've only taken a short ride out to Monroe, Easton, and Allentown PA. That's why I have this post up to get some more insight. I assure you I'm not trying to offend just trying to do better for my kids then what I'm doing now.
I depends..Most mid-size to larger cities in PA have very large numbers of Catholics, especially the Harrisburgh, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh areas, and as Fightin Phils stated, the Scran/wilkes Barre region. We have a prominent Catholic community in my town as well. You won't feel out of place here as far as your spiritual life is concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 02:53 PM

70 posts, read 233,480 times
PA is big, how far south do you want to go? I'm outside Philly and there are plenty of catholic churches here too.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Yea, definetely disagree about the Catholic thing. Philadelphia, Scranton, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and the Lehigh Valley all have very large Catholic communities.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:24 AM

96 posts, read 343,446 times
look at SchoolMatters - Home for PA school reports. Also plenty of Catholic churches as well as private Catholic Schools in York county PA. Let me know if you want the names and numbers of the schools or churches in the area. I can get them to you.

Last edited by Retired Law 08; 06-25-2008 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: DO NOT INCLUDE LINKS TO WEBSITE/MLS..ETC..

Old 06-25-2008, 08:54 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king91274 View Post
I also know catholic churches are scarce in PA and that is very Important to me, here in NYC you will have no problem finding a catholic church. I've only taken a short ride out to Monroe, Easton, and Allentown PA. That's why I have this post up to get some more insight. I assure you I'm not trying to offend just trying to do better for my kids then what I'm doing now.
Most PA small towns have at least one and in many cases many Catholic churches. For example, Phoenixville (population 15k), in suburban Philly, has 6, and Bridgeport (population 4,500) has 4 or 5. Most small towns and cities in PA that are not near Philadelphia or Pittsburgh have Catholic churches. Even to this day, in some parts of Philadelphia and surrounding areas, residents refer to their neighborhood as "I live in St. Bridget's." They don't refer to their neighborhood's name, but instead use the name of their Catholic church.

Where Catholic churches are going to be more scarce are in rural areas, though suburban sprawl has definately shifted more Catholics out into the rural areas.

I just checked out wikipedia, and Roman Catholics account for around 53% of PA. Mainline Protestants make up another 30%. What you may notice in PA is that every towns seems to have tons of other churches in addition to Catholic. PA was founded in part on the idea of religious freedom, and I think all the different types of churches you see in part results from this.

Last edited by BPP1999; 06-25-2008 at 09:16 AM..

Old 06-25-2008, 06:09 PM

41 posts, read 190,870 times
Thanks for that info on the churches, when I did a search online only a few popped up.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:02 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Broadheadsville, Sciota.....Saylorburg. South of Stroudsburg.
A Catholic Church just outside of town.....
Great Schools.......Fantastic kids
Lots of big, big, land lots.........gorgeous homes, reasonable ( very)
Two big grocery stores, lots of fast foods and a hub to Easton, Lehigh, Scranton, and Stroudsburg areas.......easy commute on 33 or on 15 to these towns.
Quiet nights, lots of State Parks to visit.......and a 12 theater Regal just about 15 mn. away.......
Great place to live and only an hour and a half to the city. Bus, transport from this location too.......
Our Lady Queen of Peace......Gilbert, Pa is the church............

Old 06-30-2008, 04:11 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsgfd View Post
what is wrong with monroe county?
Some areas of Monroe are fantastic........can't lump it into one small section and say.......its not ok.....Its fabulous

Old 06-30-2008, 04:33 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Broadheadsville, Sciota.....Saylorburg. South of Stroudsburg.
A Catholic Church just outside of town.....
Great Schools.......Fantastic kids
Lots of big, big, land lots.........gorgeous homes, reasonable ( very)
Two big grocery stores, lots of fast foods and a hub to Easton, Lehigh, Scranton, and Stroudsburg areas.......easy commute on 33 or on 15 to these towns.
Quiet nights, lots of State Parks to visit.......and a 12 theater Regal just about 15 mn. away.......
Great place to live and only an hour and a half to the city. Bus, transport from this location too.......
Our Lady Queen of Peace......Gilbert, Pa is the church............
Yes definitely up there. Or straight down in a direct line through upper bucks county but stop at newtown/richboro... no further south or west than that...and newtown has suburban sprawl and pricey for no reason. the commute is only 075 to 1 hr on the train, though.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:32 PM

98 posts, read 434,325 times
Default Monroe County

Monroe County is becoming little New York. They have gang problems, traffic problems and lots of drug issues. My local station (blueridge cable 13) has a Monroe County News at 5 and there is always issues going on there. To much of the city coming to the county and now it is turning into New York.

My husband works at Sanofi Aventis a Pharma company there and we know what Monroe County is like. No we do not live in Monroe County- we live in neighboring Carbon County which is a 55 minute country road commute for him.

There are many families who has 1 partner who is commuting to work in Monroe and they do have Buses taking them to NYC daily.

We aren't City people so the small town life is perfect and peaceful for us. I hike in the mountains behind my home and mountain bike and have no fear for my safety. Kids roam the biking trails all the time and they are safe here.
Both our kids went to small town Catholic Schools. You have to travel to your job(no problem as you or hubby would have to),real estate taxes are high but Real Estate is reasonable. In my county we do not have many shopping opportunities-we have to travel to Allentown to get clothes unless you want to shop at walmart.

There are plenty of Catholic Churches around. You may want to look up Pa Catholic Diocese to see the list. They have just recently closed many in the smaller towns in my county because of a shortage of Priests(so they say).
We attend one of the nicest Catholic Churches which is in Jim Thorpe, Pa. The Priest is actually a Monsenyor and looks like Frier Tuck. He is so Jolly laughs all the time and hugs and greets everyone after mass.

Many people are moving to Pike County but I honestly can not give you a review on that area.

My daughter lived in Effort in Monroe County and hated it. That is very rural and not far from shopping in Broadhedsville but traffic is terrible because of tourists.

I understand how you feel of New York. We were just at JFK airport and I couldn't wait to get out of the area. That was enough for me!

If you need more info message me. I use to be a Real Estate Agent but now a stay at home Mom. We do not need 2 incomes to live here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania