Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:08 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Mams, I was just a wee bit of a lass, but I remember when the GeeBee on Rt. 56 was fairly new. The older folks in my family (back then, that was everyone past the age of 25) would call a trip to GeeBee going "up the new road." Everything worth going to, to them, was "up the new road." My sister and I still joke about it.

Another thing my dad would cuss about was the traffic around there on Saturday afternoons.
Well, for me growing up in Johnstown, to go where Gee Bee, Hills, K-mart, the Mall, etc. were at we called it "going on the hill". It meant you were going shopping. Either you shopped downtown or "on the hill". Now, most things are "on the hill". My relatives from Ohio pick on us about saying "on the hill" because they really don't have any hills to go up

There are some in my family who still call 219 the "new highway"! It's older than me, but it's still the "new highway". Comical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 08:19 PM

Arrow Update...

Just added the last 15 pics of my downtown Johnstown walking tour. Hope you like 'em.

I'll try to get out to get the Cambria City neighborhood this weekend.

Last edited by mams1559; 06-27-2008 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: added 1 final pic :)

Old 06-27-2008, 09:01 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,781 times
When we were too young to drive one of our parents drove us to bowl in a tournament at Richland Bowl. What I observed was that Johnstown seemed to be owned by some guy named Bill. There was Bill's gas station, grocery store, pool hall... just a lot of places with the first name of the same guy, I don't know if it was Bill, I think it was. This was in the early 1960s. Is there a story to that?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:28 PM

I don't know about that, Peter... that was a bit before my time. What I can tell you is that "Bill" is out of business I could speculate that back then, when Richland Twp was just coming into its own, Bill had a monopoly on some businesses up that way. Today, there's no Bill's grocery, gas station or pool hall. However, Richland Lanes is still in operation and still a fun place to bowl. My kids really enjoy the "Rock & Glow" bowling.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:25 PM

43 posts, read 202,436 times
Hi Mams,
I think you did a great job on the photo album. Inspires me to try and do something similar. Thank you for sharing your town.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:01 PM

Default Thunder In The Valley

11th annual motorcycle rally was this weekend. Here's a couple pics. ~200,000 bikers descended upon Johnstown. What a weekend
Attached Thumbnails
Photo Tour of Johnstown, PA - Downtown-100_0867.jpg   Photo Tour of Johnstown, PA - Downtown-100_0871.jpg   Photo Tour of Johnstown, PA - Downtown-100_0870.jpg  

Old 07-28-2008, 04:43 AM

Location: South Heidelberg Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania
20 posts, read 108,400 times
Great pictures, MAMS1559....thanks for posting.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:40 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,681 times
Default Great set of pics

Great pictures of Johnstown! Good job with the picture taking. These pictures take me back to my younger years... One thing though, you were downtown and no pictures of the Incline Plane? A photo album of Johnstown cannot be complete without that!

I can't believe George's record shop is still in business! I bought records there since I was eight and bought my very first compact disc there (when it first came out!). Jeez, I sound like an old person!!!! Don't remember seeing it when we drove through the last time I visited my parents.

If and when you take pictures of Cambria City and take requests, take a shot going up Chestnut Street from around 4th or 6th street where more trees are at (as far as I remember them there), and take an overview of Cambria City from the Brownstown bridge or better yet from the top of Brownstown hill!

Old 08-04-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Great pictures of Johnstown! Good job with the picture taking. These pictures take me back to my younger years... One thing though, you were downtown and no pictures of the Incline Plane? A photo album of Johnstown cannot be complete without that!
Check out pg 2 ... there's one snuck in there

Quote:
I can't believe George's record shop is still in business! I bought records there since I was eight and bought my very first compact disc there (when it first came out!). Jeez, I sound like an old person!!!! Don't remember seeing it when we drove through the last time I visited my parents.
Yes, he's stiilll there! He's been there since I was a kid He's right along Market St. - diagonally across from City Hall.

Quote:
If and when you take pictures of Cambria City and take requests, take a shot going up Chestnut Street from around 4th or 6th street where more trees are at (as far as I remember them there), and take an overview of Cambria City from the Brownstown bridge or better yet from the top of Brownstown hill!
Not sure about the trees ... but you definately read my mind. I was goning to take some overview pics from Brownstown bridge and maybe also Minersville

I'm so glad you appreciated my pics! Your imput is welcomed. I'm not sure how soon I'll be getting to other neighborhoods as RL has caught up to me and I haven't a free moment to spare. I'm still trying though.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 11,531 times
LoL, sounds crazy but i think were moving to johnstown...so your pics helped a bit, considering i have one group of people screaming it's a crap hole in the middle of nowhere and another hand full saying i'm gonna like it....atleast it doesn't appear to be a ghetto...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania