Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 07:14 PM

14 posts, read 45,358 times

Advertisements

How does lunadiluna know what native Pennsylvanians stand for? I suppose you've lived in at least six areas in this state, and know the history, character, and characteristics of each, AND respect each area for what it contains--warts and all? Or can we just be presumptuous enough to speak for them all? It must be grand indeed to have the confidence of your fellow Pennsylvanians and speak for them--there are certainly more than a few thinking people that would disagee with you--that must hurt.
I could care less if two dozen condemned my post, because those who make the most noise and pretend to speak for others are the knaves who have the least idea about which they speak, so long as they look well in others' eyes. Some of us could care less how we look to others, as long as all the dross is burned away from the treacly homogeneity of the present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 09:08 PM

330 posts, read 1,976,923 times
Default yeah whatever now lets move on to the subject!

Ok i think its time to post somewhere else and lets all just answer the question that was asked.

Here's the question ----Where does the Upper Middle Class and above live in Lancater County?

What is considered the best overall community in Lancaster County
Income/Schools/Quality of life.

Tks,
Traveler

Old 02-16-2007, 06:17 PM

Default A serious answer

When I consider the presence of the affluent in Lancaster County, I do believe that Lititz would be a legitimate answer, as well as areas east of Lancaster itself. This would include Manheim Township School District and Lampeter-Strasburg School District, if I am not mistaken. I'm sure that there are others...

Old 02-17-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Hi!

Covenant77,

Where in Lancaster County are you from? And were you born & raised there? In your opinion is Lancaster county a safe city to raise a family?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by covenant77 View Post
When I consider the presence of the affluent in Lancaster County, I do believe that Lititz would be a legitimate answer, as well as areas east of Lancaster itself. This would include Manheim Township School District and Lampeter-Strasburg School District, if I am not mistaken. I'm sure that there are others...

Old 02-17-2007, 05:35 AM

221 posts, read 994,193 times
Parts of Lancaster City (the SE south) are not the most desirable place to live, but I cannot think of anywhere in the county that would be a problem place to raise a family. Lots of churches, community activities abound. It is very family-friendly. At my part-time job, I hear all the high-school kids (male and female) talk about going to Sunday school- on a regular basis.

Some of my family is in the county, and I now live in Lancaster City. I have also lived in Ephrata. I know this area well, even though, alas, I was not born and raised here, which makes me an outsider.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:56 AM

12 posts, read 60,966 times
Lititz is your best bet. I live in Union County (which I like very much.lol) but in Lancaster, that would have to be my choice. SOmeone I know lives there and the school is fair, income is fair and pretty much everything else is fair. Not too much crime. Just a nice community.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Agree or disagree?

So would you agree or disagree on how the locals supposely are not so warm & kind to new comers , such as people from NJ & NY?

I heard from so many people and read it right here on these threads that if your not from a dutch/German background then they will rarely accept you as a good friend.

Also do many people from NY & NJ now live in Lancaster county?

Thank you

Stay safe

T

Old 02-17-2007, 07:54 PM

Smile Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
Covenant77,

Where in Lancaster County are you from? And were you born & raised there? In your opinion is Lancaster county a safe city to raise a family?

Thanks
Greetings amsm196,

In reply to your questions, I spent the first eighteen years of my life across the river in neighboring York County. After living in several other areas of the state, I am currently residing about fifteen minutes south of Lancaster City.

Despite the impression that I might give about being hostile to outsiders, it is, many times, frustration at how the area has changed, with fields, groves of trees, etc etc making way for developments and shopping areas...and more traffic. I would echo another contributor's assessment that southeast Lancaster is not the most savory, in fact I would say that the southern end is noticeably lacking in cleanliness and order compared to the north. I'm sure that someone can post to the contrary, but these are my observations.

As to we Germans being unfriendly. There is a myth that Pennsylvanians are more friendly. They are, and yet they're not either. In some areas of the state, non-Germans will ask you numerous questions about "where are you from," who your "people" are, where were your ancestors from, which can be exceedingly annoying. There are areas where, if you're not Italian, Irish, or Polish, then you might have trouble finding decent work (especially in teaching). This may not exactly apply to your present question, but the "outsider" feeling is given off by others that are NOT German--so, it is not just the Penna. Dutch.

My experience with other Germans is that they can be cold, but I can see where they are coming from. It is not a clannish coldness, nor are you being judged on your ancestry or previous residence, but it is an instinct that the other person is an "outsider." I have found this latter feeling more in northern Berks County than anywhere in Lancaster. Outsider can mean from York County--believe it or not, I have seen faces become less friendly when I say that I am from York County. I cannot speak for everyone, but: (1) some of these people may not care for an influx of outsiders because of how the county has changed; (2) Germans can by nature be reticent (but perhaps my aforementioned illustration has shown that this is not unique to Germans); (3) this is, after all, a German enclave, so perhaps some people will be a bit cold a first, but then warm up to others; and (4) there are many genuinely friendly, caring, warm-hearted Germans that will welcome you to the community, just like anywhere else. There are probably fewer people of German stock in the city and in the developments around it, so these prejudices may not apply at all--let's hope that those areas are not, let's say like Maryland, which contains many transients--many people from many different places all in Maryland for the work. I stated in a previous post that I find people from urban areas less friendly, whereas you said they are, so I suppose it is about perspective.

I would recommend that you not expect the worst (coldness), nor believe, as some (and I'm not saying you would) that Germans are all warm-hearted. I believe that if you can establish an interest and respect for the area and what remains of its unique culture, that this will favorably impress others. Do you have to impress them? Well no, that is just what has worked for me.

I hope that this will be helpful, without being an overgeneralization--however, as a history teacher, ethnic characteristics, and their changes in the last 100 years interest me very much. Then again, we live in a world of such comparative distance from our ancestors' community ties, that you might--even out in the country, where everyone supposedly is friendly--not even know who lives around you, and neither will they know you. Sad but true. Bring back the welcome wagon!

Old 02-18-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Thanks!

Thank you very much for that very well detailed post.

Its very late and i need sleep, but quickly i'll say that when we were in Lancaster County this past October 2006, we went with a realtor to Strasburg, Lititz and Manheim. Personally we liked Lititz & Manheim looked about the same.

We still are undecided on the move though.But i sure do hope that the farms are spared in Lancaster County.

Stay safe

T

Quote:
Originally Posted by covenant77 View Post
Greetings amsm196,

In reply to your questions, I spent the first eighteen years of my life across the river in neighboring York County. After living in several other areas of the state, I am currently residing about fifteen minutes south of Lancaster City.

Despite the impression that I might give about being hostile to outsiders, it is, many times, frustration at how the area has changed, with fields, groves of trees, etc etc making way for developments and shopping areas...and more traffic. I would echo another contributor's assessment that southeast Lancaster is not the most savory, in fact I would say that the southern end is noticeably lacking in cleanliness and order compared to the north. I'm sure that someone can post to the contrary, but these are my observations.

As to we Germans being unfriendly. There is a myth that Pennsylvanians are more friendly. They are, and yet they're not either. In some areas of the state, non-Germans will ask you numerous questions about "where are you from," who your "people" are, where were your ancestors from, which can be exceedingly annoying. There are areas where, if you're not Italian, Irish, or Polish, then you might have trouble finding decent work (especially in teaching). This may not exactly apply to your present question, but the "outsider" feeling is given off by others that are NOT German--so, it is not just the Penna. Dutch.

My experience with other Germans is that they can be cold, but I can see where they are coming from. It is not a clannish coldness, nor are you being judged on your ancestry or previous residence, but it is an instinct that the other person is an "outsider." I have found this latter feeling more in northern Berks County than anywhere in Lancaster. Outsider can mean from York County--believe it or not, I have seen faces become less friendly when I say that I am from York County. I cannot speak for everyone, but: (1) some of these people may not care for an influx of outsiders because of how the county has changed; (2) Germans can by nature be reticent (but perhaps my aforementioned illustration has shown that this is not unique to Germans); (3) this is, after all, a German enclave, so perhaps some people will be a bit cold a first, but then warm up to others; and (4) there are many genuinely friendly, caring, warm-hearted Germans that will welcome you to the community, just like anywhere else. There are probably fewer people of German stock in the city and in the developments around it, so these prejudices may not apply at all--let's hope that those areas are not, let's say like Maryland, which contains many transients--many people from many different places all in Maryland for the work. I stated in a previous post that I find people from urban areas less friendly, whereas you said they are, so I suppose it is about perspective.

I would recommend that you not expect the worst (coldness), nor believe, as some (and I'm not saying you would) that Germans are all warm-hearted. I believe that if you can establish an interest and respect for the area and what remains of its unique culture, that this will favorably impress others. Do you have to impress them? Well no, that is just what has worked for me.

I hope that this will be helpful, without being an overgeneralization--however, as a history teacher, ethnic characteristics, and their changes in the last 100 years interest me very much. Then again, we live in a world of such comparative distance from our ancestors' community ties, that you might--even out in the country, where everyone supposedly is friendly--not even know who lives around you, and neither will they know you. Sad but true. Bring back the welcome wagon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania