Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 02:05 AM

330 posts, read 1,972,010 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone for the info! Again when we were there for a mini vacation i did not see any bad areas, but like a few of you said " everywhere has bad areas" and i agree 100%.

I happen to live in the suburbs of Las Vegas, a city called Henderson, like everywhere we have crime, but the last i read Henderson is actually safer with most overall crime then is Lancaster, now that surprised me alot.

Just curious but where in Lancaster County do you guys live?

Thanks again

T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
I think that we did acknowledge that there may be some gang activity IN THE CITY of Lancaster, again, as there will be in ANY CITY OF CONSIDERABLE SIZE.

I reiterate that the towns I mentioned are more than reasonably safe, they are very safe - I know, I live in one.

Honestly, I really don't mean to be insulting, but if the only city you have ever lived in is Lancaster, you would be in for a horrible shock moving into any larger city ANYWHERE else. I have lived in small and big cities, and there is always some trouble there if you don't make smart choices (ie wandering around alone late at night in unfamiliar areas). I lived in a "safe" prairie town in Western Canada (probably on par with Wyoming), and there was much more gang activity and violence there than in Lancaster.

Any inner city area will have increased security and unfortunately you will hear of some violence... but you or I going about our business are not going to encounter it.

The person posting this is from the Vegas area, so comparing Lancaster city to a city like Vegas (which I have also been to) is absolutely so far off crime wise. I have no doubt which is safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 11:45 AM

33 posts, read 148,191 times
Well as for myself I live in Lancaster Township almost in Millersville. I've also lived in Marietta, Leola, and even in Lancaster City in the area they call the
7th ward not that nice of an area. Hopefully I did'nt scare you off I just wanted to be realistic, and if you have anymore questions please do'nt hesitate to ask. Like I said earlier the outlying parts of this county are very nice.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:53 PM

266 posts, read 1,192,304 times
I live in the western suburbs of Ephrata, called Clay Township. We do really like it here although it is a bit conservative for our tastes.

The school is great, and the kids are safe out playing in the yard, and we have never had any kind - even a suggestion - of any kind of crime perpetrated towards us, or even anyone we know (who live in Ephrata proper, Brownstown, Akron, Lititz).

I suppose the reason I feel a little defensive about the area is the fact that I do find people here somewhat sheltered and "scared" of anything having to do with a CITY of any kind... like "ooooh, you're driving to THE CITY", eeek, be careful - and I just feel like They have never known anything but their little towns, and a small incident to them is often blown up out of proportion.

Again, this is just compared to other places I have lived, which indeed were more dangerous. I lived in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and have stayed with friends in small prairie towns that I wouldn't walk down the street in after dark - yet I would here in Ephrata.

I guess some of it is a matter of perspective too, so we may have to agree to disagree on some of the "Lancaster County Crime".

I do hope that if you and your family choose to move here that you are able to truly figure out a great area for yourselves - visiting for longer would definitely be ideal. Believe it or not, I moved here sight unseen, so it's good that it worked out!! Good luck.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:25 AM

2 posts, read 19,673 times
I spend a lot of time in the city, and see a lot. Most of the city isn't bad. The south end of town is the "bad part" (notice the quotes)

But the downtown area and most areas north, and around F&M college are decent areas to live. As far as gangs go, yeah there are gangs. Around a dozen, maybe more.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:28 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,572,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
In Lancaster city, there may be a few areas near downtown that aren't the greatest, but you can still drive through them. Otherwise, I have never felt even remotely unsafe in any city in Lancaster County, with my two young kids and all.

I am sure someone is going to argue with me, but I have traveled all over the world, and I do have some idea of what unsafe really is about - and Lancaster County is one of the safest places I have ever been.

We haven't locked our doors/cars in the five years since we moved here - yes, I would lock them when parked in the city, (or any high traffic area).

There are NO gangs I have seen or even heard about in Ephrata, Lititz, New Holland, Denver, Brownstown, wherever else you can think of. I'm guessing there likely are in Lancaster City, as there are in any town of considerable size.

If someone tries to tell you that any of these small towns is gang-ridden, they quite simply are either lying, clueless, or crazy.
I really love Lancaster and "all" the areas you mentioned. I always feel safe when I visit there. Completely

Old 07-12-2007, 09:09 AM

67 posts, read 403,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
Just curious, but since we are still tossing around the idea of a possible move to Lancaster County can anybody reading this please fill me in on the " Gang Situation" In Lancaster County? Some have told me there are many gangs, while others said barely any at all.

And where are the unsafe parts of Lancaster County? We were there on a mini- vacation in October and drove around many of the towns, even parts of downtown but we didnt come across any areas where we were bothered by any thugs.

Are there any or many areas that are so bad you cant even drive through? If so where are these areas in Lancaster County?

Thank You

T
Dont worry about the crime problem in Lancaster AND they do have a problem seems everynight someone dies and lets not forget thats where those amish children where slaughtered in their little schoolhouse. But its like that anywhere in a packed close together city. Make sure you live in the outskirts and your ok. Another nice thing about PA is they allow all the guns you can buy and getting a concealed permit is real easy everyone passes the background check (as long as you dont have a criminal history). Criminals will not come out to the suburbs because they know everyone has guns so its realatively safe.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:15 PM

7 posts, read 62,892 times
Default lancaster is getting worst

lancaster is not the worst but not the best by far drive through is one thing but walk the inner city streets at night you will know the different. bloods,crips,latin kings are some of the gangs that nest in there parts.
while it is nice in parts these streets are getting wors while there are nice parts the inner parts are being neglected

Old 05-13-2008, 08:27 PM

Lets not forget the west part of lancaster like manner St, West King,Water St,Beaver st heavy gang activity there, an dont forget south queen st.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:42 PM

im an ex banger an i will not tell an any bull about lancaster i came from new york city gang and i know its not the same but dont getted it twisted in the city of lancaster is gotten alot worst every year the wards are reach out to the so called white sections an the reality is people are afraid to amit we have a problem.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 13,804 times
I always thought it was kinda odd that lancaster city gets singled out for violence. cities are an easy target, and people assume that the suburbs are safe otherwise more people would live in city centers. Yet the suburban and rural areas have been most struck with violence in the last few years. In leola(a few minutes from my house) a man killed 6 people. In epharta there was that case where the teenager killed his girlfriends parents and ran off with her.last year a boy killed his friends parents i believe and confessed, and then of course the amish school shooting. But yet we say stay away from the city. hmm....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania