Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:12 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times

Advertisements

Also, remember when people refer to "gangs" these days, they aren't always "gangs" in there truest sense. I would say there are more "wannabe's" and low level drug dealers than hard core gang members in Lancaster County. For someone to say earlier that there are at least 12 gangs in Lancaster, I doubt that so highly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,257 times
Yeah, when I lived in New Holland there was a bunch of kids who called themselves the "717 Crew." I still laugh about that one. They were about as dangerous as a strong breeze.

The only place in the whole county I would be perturbed about driving through at night would be the east side of Lancaster city; it's a bit rough. My wife and I have driven through downtown and the West End between 11pm and 3am to no ill effect, and I've spent many hours walking around downtown during the day and have never so much as witnessed a crime. They do happen of course, but it doesn't take much to avoid trouble even in the city.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,063 times
I have been looking into lancaster on the computer. I was there in 1986 and there were not as many mexicans. I am afraid I might come across them. Like I might have more trouble with " Farkle gangs" but there are none in the world right now. I try to stay away from petty involvement with money or their business in santa cruz ca . A more common gang is the employment gang. A lot of jobs you simply have to be a mexican or something like it. The last time I was in Redondo beach ca I was kicked in the back by a 6 foot tall dad whose wife yells and yells at him. That was 3 years ago. I told him he looked like he belongs in Bagdad Iraq. The same thing with the sheriff and police. Big deal no light on a bike in Torrance brings the police gun to the head. Incidently I hold a record for being stopped by assorted police agencies. Thankfully their budgets are being reduced. My brother said a long time ago to stay a week or two before buying. These gang members are smaller than "blacks" and are usually asleep early. Its a longer day for them. They probably reduce other similar people numbers.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halamkajohn View Post
I have been looking into lancaster on the computer. I was there in 1986 and there were not as many mexicans. I am afraid I might come across them. Like I might have more trouble with " Farkle gangs" but there are none in the world right now. I try to stay away from petty involvement with money or their business in santa cruz ca . A more common gang is the employment gang. A lot of jobs you simply have to be a mexican or something like it. The last time I was in Redondo beach ca I was kicked in the back by a 6 foot tall dad whose wife yells and yells at him. That was 3 years ago. I told him he looked like he belongs in Bagdad Iraq. The same thing with the sheriff and police. Big deal no light on a bike in Torrance brings the police gun to the head. Incidently I hold a record for being stopped by assorted police agencies. Thankfully their budgets are being reduced. My brother said a long time ago to stay a week or two before buying. These gang members are smaller than "blacks" and are usually asleep early. Its a longer day for them. They probably reduce other similar people numbers.

Dude I think u might be talking about the wrong Lancaster. Lancaster, PA..not Ca. You are right... not many mexicans, but about 1/3 of the people in the city are Puerto Rican!

Old 12-14-2009, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 7,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
In Lancaster city, there may be a few areas near downtown that aren't the greatest, but you can still drive through them. Otherwise, I have never felt even remotely unsafe in any city in Lancaster County, with my two young kids and all.

I am sure someone is going to argue with me, but I have traveled all over the world, and I do have some idea of what unsafe really is about - and Lancaster County is one of the safest places I have ever been.

We haven't locked our doors/cars in the five years since we moved here - yes, I would lock them when parked in the city, (or any high traffic area).

There are NO gangs I have seen or even heard about in Ephrata, Lititz, New Holland, Denver, Brownstown, wherever else you can think of. I'm guessing there likely are in Lancaster City, as there are in any town of considerable size.

If someone tries to tell you that any of these small towns is gang-ridden, they quite simply are either lying, clueless, or crazy.
well, im not crazy, clueless or lying, and i say that lancasters gangs arent gangs in the sense of Ca., or N.Y. gangs. Lancaster is small factions of drug pushers that claim to hold territory... but they are necessarily spraying Uzis at the cops every week. As far as the county areas...Ephrata, Lititz, N.H. Denver, etc. Yeah theres no gangs either..just really strung-out meth users, and racist cops!

Old 07-28-2010, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,397 times
Lancaster isnt any different than any other city of its size and demographic make-up. i dont really call the groups of people GANGS, but rather close freinds that happen to be in the drug game. compared to GANGS in L.A., Chicago, N.Y., and such...Lancaster isnt anything.
If you keep to yourself, theres nothing to worry about.
Now, I have been hearing about alot of strongarm robberies in the city at night, but again, its just groups of bad-asses that are out looking for trouble. there is no color code, or territorial areas that you would simply get shot, just for being there. Play it cool, and no one will bother you...go thru there like you are trying to take over the block..you might find yourself in a situation!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:29 AM

24,405 posts, read 23,061,247 times
The so called "gangs" in Pennsylvania are a pretty mild and tame bunch, believe me. Real gang bangers from LA or maybe even NYC would make these guys mess their pants.
They wouldn't be in Pa if they had anything going for them, they moved here to get AWAY from the real tough guys. They dress a certain way and try to act bad but just talk to them and you'll see they're basically harmless. I'm not saying they aren't involved in low level drug activity or minor crime but major league stuff, forget it.
Gangs of kids looking for an easy target or just somebody to harrass is probably what you see most.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernstarr View Post
Well as for myself I live in Lancaster Township almost in Millersville. I've also lived in Marietta, Leola, and even in Lancaster City in the area they call the
7th ward not that nice of an area. Hopefully I did'nt scare you off I just wanted to be realistic, and if you have anymore questions please do'nt hesitate to ask. Like I said earlier the outlying parts of this county are very nice.

Hi i am looking to move to lancaster area i saw a place for 750 a month on s queen st and was wondering is this a safe enough area i have 3 kids ages 17 11 n 10 ?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,144 times
so how about tha 700 block of south queen st in lancaster how safe of a crime free area is that if ya knlow i have 3 kids aGES 17 11 n 10 and just want them to be able to play n be safe.....thank you

Old 02-04-2011, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 13,357 times
I dont know Lancaster, all that well, I live on the other side of the river. However a few weeks a go my wife and I decided to go walk the Lancaster Farmers Market, and see it. We walked around all day, and hell we did not even see pan handlers, asking for change while walking.
We enjoyed ourselves so much, we hung around, went to the outlets, and went back into the city for dinner, finding the PressRoom, and had one of the best dinners in many many years!

I know one visit dont make or break an area, but if the AmishHellHounds are on the prowel, I did not see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania