Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 03:00 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG_HRD View Post
Mountains? I haven't seen any mountains near Franklin. I've seen some low hills but no mountains.

Well I may have exaggerated a little bit. We currently have a house on an extremely well-placed acre and cannot see our neighbors. None of the other 13 houses in our area have that privacy. I 'spect I'll want 3-10ac. Do not want to spend 24/7 mowing. Did look at 100ac. during our visit last June that had a gas well with free gas and royalties. Hmmm.

Not being a hunter/fisher (actually a bit adverse to hunting) I shy away from properties that say "close to state game lands". Having grown up in SoCal the thought of hearing MORE gunfire does not thrill me!
Yes, mountains, hehe, not nearly what you're used to though out west. Franklin sits in the foothills to the Allegheny/Appalachian mountain ranges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 02:02 PM

113 posts, read 496,291 times
I get the impression that it not terribly difficult to get a building permit in Venango County. Some properties I have looked at say un-zoned and yet are offered as potential homesites. Clearly I would go to the planning commission to verify suitability first.

Here in Monterey County it is almost impossible to build unless you are a big developer with plenty of $$. One general contractor friend told me that if you tried to follow all of the regulations you could not legally build a house in the county! The very wealthy just build what they want and pay the fines after. They seem to have plenty of $$ in Pebble Beach and Big Sur.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG_HRD View Post
I get the impression that it not terribly difficult to get a building permit in Venango County. Some properties I have looked at say un-zoned and yet are offered as potential homesites. Clearly I would go to the planning commission to verify suitability first.

Here in Monterey County it is almost impossible to build unless you are a big developer with plenty of $$. One general contractor friend told me that if you tried to follow all of the regulations you could not legally build a house in the county! The very wealthy just build what they want and pay the fines after. They seem to have plenty of $$ in Pebble Beach and Big Sur.
Yes, there's plenty of undeveloped land for sale around here. Most will build to suit, or you can build practically what you want once you've bought the property as long as you obtain the proper permits and licenses.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:55 PM

13 posts, read 96,606 times
Here are some links that may help.

City of Franklin
City of Franklin, Pennsylvania (PA) - Home
Venango County Government
Venango County Pennsylvania (http://www.co.venango.pa.us/home/index.htm - broken link)

That should get you started.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:03 PM

113 posts, read 496,291 times
Cool, thanks. I look at properties every day. Just have to realize I have a few more years to work yet.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:41 PM

11 posts, read 52,910 times
My fiance lives in Franklin and I have been visiting his family for the past 3 years now. There isn't much to do in Franklin, especially for the younger generation. Most who have graduated high school stay around the area and end up in a dead end job or a fast food window.

The surroundings of Franklin are beautiful. It runs right along the river and is very close to other cities (Pittsburgh, Clarion, Erie, Sharon). It's not a bad place to be. It's pretty quiet, any news is big news and everyone knows everyone else. Lots of hunters and fisherman around the area... and they are known for Light Up Night and Applefest....

Old 11-28-2008, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,585 times
[url=http://wherethecreekandtherivermeet.blogspot.com/]Where the Creek and the River Meet[/url] In case you are still paying attention to this thread. [url=http://venangago-go.blogspot.com/]venangago-go[/url]

Old 12-02-2008, 04:18 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,392 times
Which is the better walking city? Franklin or Oil City or another town in the area? Are there good restaurants downtown? Which is putting more of an effort into revitalizing the downtown area? I interested in finding an active outdoor community that is safe.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
Which is the better walking city? Franklin or Oil City or another town in the area? Are there good restaurants downtown? Which is putting more of an effort into revitalizing the downtown area? I interested in finding an active outdoor community that is safe.
Both cities have small walkable downtowns. Franklin seems to be a bit nicer, it's had some nice up-keep over the years. However, Oil City is in the midst of a revitalization.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:01 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Both cities have small walkable downtowns. Franklin seems to be a bit nicer, it's had some nice up-keep over the years. However, Oil City is in the midst of a revitalization.
Thanks for your input. I am asking these questions because data just isn't enough info sometimes. Is there a strong sense of community in the area? Are the people friendly? I have visited the Clarion area and I have to say the people were pretty rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania