Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 07:01 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
However, Oil City is in the midst of a revitalization.
Really? I would like to hear some details. My in-laws live near Titusville and I would be curious to know about anything new in OC. There is a new restaurant (thank God) in Titusville I want to try on our next trip up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 06:36 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,188 times
Money is being pumped into the area due to big oil and natural gas companies returning to the area to begin drilling for cheaper natural gas and CNG in the Marcellus Shale. I read a great article not too long ago in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, featuring Oil City and its Mayor, about the revitalization going on there, but I can't seem to find it now.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:12 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Money is being pumped into the area due to big oil and natural gas companies returning to the area to begin drilling for cheaper natural gas and CNG in the Marcellus Shale. I read a great article not too long ago in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, featuring Oil City and its Mayor, about the revitalization going on there, but I can't seem to find it now.
Interesting. I'll see what I can find out.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,437 times
Born and raised in Franklin,left in 62 and have now moved back to stay. Loved growing up here. Quaint beautiful town on the Allegheny River, surrounded by large hills. We have a great library,good internet including coffeehouse and other resturaunts with wifi.
what I love about Franklin is the fact there is always something going on. We have a wonderful playhouse the Barrow Civic which you can google,also google Applefest Franklin Pa. Applefest fills this town for a weekend of fun. We have a wonderful farmers market,fantastic parks, beautiful fountain. Taste of Franklin coming up. check this out Franklin Area Chamber of Commerce
The Franklin Area Chamber of Commerce has been working with our members since ... Franklin Area Chamber of Commerce 1259 Liberty Street Franklin, PA 16323 ...

[url=http://www.franklinareachamber.org/]Franklin Area Chamber of Commerce[/url]
Best of luck to you Sandy

Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
I have some comments.. The people who posted them probably won't be seeing my response, but it looks like people are still looking at these boards (all the views)

I grew up in Franklin.. I actually now live in Pittsburgh (I've been here for the last four years--I go to school in the city). I've lived in different neighborhoods and even though I'm a student, I have only lived in Franklin for a total of a couple months. Therefore, I have a perspective for both areas.

I disagree with Jonathan-- life is different in Pittsburgh than it is in Franklin. There is the population difference.. it has an impact. There are more activities and establishments in Pittsburgh-- multiple theaters, ethnic restaurants, a variety of stores (including ethnic ones), etc. There are festivals in Pittsburgh. In Franklin, most of the restaurants are chain restaurants and for some odd reason, usually when a restaurant opens, it's a pizza shop. It is a very homogenous community-- you will see white people everywhere. While I am white myself, it bothers me to see so many white people. I like variety... And frankly, even Pittsburgh lacks in diversity. It's not nearly as bad as Franklin though. As for libraries-- I personally enjoy reading a lot. The Carnegie Library in Oakland is awesome. It's basically a candy store compared to the library in Franklin. It actually depresses me to go back home and see the Franklin library. The residents of Franklin really need to put more money into the library.. way more money. A library should be an enjoyable place to go to, it should be a place to promote education and learning new things.. In Franklin, it sadly does not.. (And I am not knocking the people that work there). It just sorely needs funding. And in this day and age, education will take you places but Franklin is not promoting that idea. I know some people care about shopping and what not.. The mall out in Cranberry is very pitiful. Stores keep going out.. There is no bookstore in the area. You have to go to the Hermitage Mall, Grove City... The main place to get anything is the WalMart.

In scenic terms, Franklin is an absolutely beautiful place.. It is quiet for those that enjoy it/desire that. I can see how it would appeal to someone who wants to move to a beautiful place and just relax.. It's not suitable for everyone, however.

I don't agree with the other person's response that there will be a rediscovery of oil or whatever, causing a growth in the population. That's not going to happen.. Look at the stats, the population is decreasing. I'm sure there are a variety of reasons for that. I know one is the lack of job opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania