Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:45 AM

4 posts, read 16,128 times

Advertisements

I love york county! I lived there for 23 years and wish that I still did but I can't get my husband to love it as much as I do. But York County is my vote! (NOT YORK CITY)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 10:42 AM

38 posts, read 159,849 times
As a native of Lancaster County, and the town of Lititz, I can say that all of the above comments are pretty accurate. As far as people being friendly (or not being friendly) I'm not sure that is quite accurate. I've always seen it as people here keep to themselves and are not real outgoing to other people until they reallyget to know the person. Thats not to say we wouldn't go out of our way to help in any way we can. (we have a saying in our family: "We can't help it, we're German.) I think the attitude some people might see come out in the locals stems from the lack of respect to our locals (Amish, Mennonites, ect) and a demanding arrogance that because they are here on vacation, their needs must be met ASAP.

As far as living, you might want to try northern Lancaster County, or Lebanon County, north of Lancaster County. The housing is much cheaper and there are still a lot of large rural areas with an easy commute to the areas you express interest in.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:06 PM

70 posts, read 128,537 times
I always used my German-ness as an excuse to get my girlfriend to clean up after herself. Either we have things neat and tidy, or we invade Poland. Your choice.

Seriously though, not all people of German descent are reserved and conservative. Speaking as a native of the area myself (Lebanon), it's just that those of us who aren't that way can't stay within the PA Dutch "culture" or mindset (such as it is).

Old 08-24-2006, 09:03 AM

6 posts, read 24,764 times
Default how bad are the downtowns?

Someone mentioned earlier that the city of Lancaster was not a great place to be. Does anyone know what the property market is like in the city? Some of the old townhouses are very attractive and I've been considering buying a fixer-upper or rental property. Don't want to, though, if the prospects are bleak. (If the prices are low enough that *I* can consider buying, I guess I should suspect something is wrong.) Is York any better? Thanks for comments.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:54 AM

44 posts, read 283,439 times
Default Lancaster city

Our daughter bought her first home in Lancaster (city) a couple years ago and she loves it. She got it for under $100 and it's half a double, brick, about 75 years old and needs some work, but has hardwood floors, beautiful crown molding, huge windows, a nice yard, front porch, etc. She has brought electric up to code, put in new heating system, and done some plumbing work. Still has to modernize her kitchen and bathroom, but she is not having any problems with her neighbors (a sort of melting pot). Her next door neighbor is the model neighbor you would wish for, always checking and looking out for our daughter when she is on the road working. She brings her meals and always bakes things and brings them over, etc. Her husband has helped with houselhold chores, etc. A very good living arrangement for our daughter since she is not there a lot of the time. But when she is she loves the fact that she can walk everywhere, the bookstore, library, hospital, doctors, market, train station, etc. Just my take on Lancaster city.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:13 AM

38 posts, read 159,849 times
I agree with the above post about finding housing. You could do very well with the right set-up in the right neighborhood. With the new ballpark in the northern part of the city and downtown being cleaned-up there could be some great opportunities. Your best bet would be to contact a local real estate agent to help guide you in which sections of the city to focus on. There are some really neat parts of the city with a lot of history dating back to before the Revolutionay War.

Old 08-26-2006, 11:49 AM

Default Lancaster city

That's where my daughter lives, not far from the stadium. She's already been to several games and concerts there, says it's very family-friendly. She travels back and forth to New York City so loves the fact that the train station is within walking distance. Of course she has lived in bigger cities so Lancaster may seem tame to her but...................

Old 08-26-2006, 11:06 PM

164 posts, read 200,523 times
Don't live in Lancaster or York. The crime is terrible. PA cities are also hung up on posting one way street signs that make you waste gas so you can pay their 31 cent gasoline tax in addition to filling up, the highest in the nation.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:17 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmm........... I don't know about that.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 63,205 times
You seem to have gotten a lots of pretty accurate advice. This whole area (I live in Lititz, Lancaster County) is big on antiquing. Along Route 272 between Lancaster and Reading is an especially well-known and thickly packed antiquing corridor. Our big flea markets are Green Dragon in Ephrata on Friday nights, Roots Market outside East Petersburg/Landisville are on Tuesday nights and weekends at Renningers along 272. There are others, as well. We're in the housing market right now and you can definitely find something in this area for 250K that includes a few acres and a barn. We're looking for the same thing but have 4 kids and so far none have had enough bedrooms. For instance, we recently toured a 3.6 acre place with 2 terrific well-kept barns for $239.000 (but the house was small). This was just over the Lancaster County line into Lebanona County. Lancaster County prices are higher than York, Dauphin and Lebanon county prices. Here in Lanc. county it would definitly be a challenge to find the acrage/barn combo for 250K. Definitly stay away from the cities themselves. The Adams county suggestion (Hanover/Gettysburg) was also good. Although I wish to move to the boonies, myself (read: either upper Montana or Outer Neverhearduvit), I'd have to say Southeastern PA is definitely apt to be a big improvement over any place in Florida. Good luck in your search and move! garriekeyman, Lititz, PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania