Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 02:22 PM

40 posts, read 225,978 times

Advertisements

So by "helping" Lancaster you're encouraging it to become just like every other place in the U.S. that has fallen to the corporate model and dull uniculture that it promotes. Boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 07:35 AM

70 posts, read 128,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackooboy View Post
So by "helping" Lancaster you're encouraging it to become just like every other place in the U.S. that has fallen to the corporate model and dull uniculture that it promotes. Boring.
I'm fan of corporate culture either, but I'd take boring over backward any day. There's little "authentic" left in Lancaster anyway besides the intolerance.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:18 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
Hanover is nice and has shops and is expanding signficantly in commercial activity (7th largest retail place in the state). It lacks a night life though.

It's a decent town and isn't expanding all that rapidly residentially, comparitive to gettysburg, or biglerville.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:21 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
PA cities are also hung up on posting one way street signs that make you waste gas so you can pay their 31 cent gasoline tax in addition to filling up, the highest in the nation.

Intresting... considering PA gas prices are always cheaper than in maryland and virginia. Not to mention our entire state isn't one entire traffic jam like New Jersey or Maryland.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:33 AM

9 posts, read 24,484 times
actually south centra pa is a haven for antiques.... here in lanc county - ephrata/denver area you will find many many antiques, flea markets.

and access to the turnpike is right there ... you would not be bored in this area. but understand housing is pricey, depending on whether you want land and a house.. or want to live on top of your neighbors in a development.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:28 PM

8 posts, read 33,703 times
I live between York and Hanover and this part of Pa is great. Lanc is too crowded with traffic on Route 30 and where I live in the country (only here a motorcycle on our main road) it only takes me 15 minutes to Hanover and 15 minutes to York. And 30 minutes to Gettysburg. The only problem with this part of PA is that the people are NOT very friendly. My mother came here in 1950 from Sydney Aust. and she told me when she walked down the street in York the people would not say Hi. Same thing today. In school back in the 60's and even today the kids are into themselves. I work in Harrisburg and some people tell me they do not like living around here because the people are not friendly. MY neighbors are even like that. I don't understand why people just can't say hi and talk without trying to run the neigborhood. I suppose this part of the country between Ohio to Phil PA this is what you call the Bible belt. Very conservative . Into themselves. Does anyone else ever notice this? Below the Mason Dixon Line people change it seems.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:03 PM

23 posts, read 312,899 times
I'm from Adams County. All of south central Pa. is a rural conservative area.
If you love antiques then you should live near New Oxford. it is definitely the antique capital of the arae. My brother lives there. It is a very nice area. Housing is less expensive than the cities and the people are friendly. Hanover is nice too. You should be able to find something nice for $250,000 IF YOU LIVE IN OR NEAR ASMALL TOWN. The larger cities do have hispanic populations. As far as I know all the areas in adams County are safe areas. The towns are small and people have lived there for generations. Not much crime. Gettysburg has a lot of tourism but mostly in the summer. Schools are good in adams County. I come from a family of teachers.( Father taught in Adams County, brother, uncle ,cousins,and grandfather taught in York County). There are several auction houses in Adams County and many private auctions. My 2 sets of grandparents lived in adams and York Counties so I am familiar with both. Southern York County is very , very rural. Mostly farms. The city of York used to be a nice city when I was growing up but it is now going downhill. More crime and higher immigrant population. Adams Couty is less expensive. There are many new housing developments but sounds like you need an established place because older properties have more land and would have garages and or small barns. You could find barns on the edges of the small towns in adams County. The northern part of Adams County is less expensive for housing. Too many Maryland commuters are moving into the southern end of the county and raising housing prices. It is a nice place for retired people. Many active senior groups. If you like history you can not beat the Gettysburg area. The civil war history is fascinating and there are active historical groups. Many activities for history buffs. Antiques here seem to be less expensive too. Lots of local people spend winters in Florida.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:45 PM

40 posts, read 225,978 times
I think Philadelphia is much more backward than Lancaster is with their murder rate setting a new record this year. Backward is such a subjective term... are you trying to say religious people are backward?

Old 05-12-2018, 03:20 PM

6 posts, read 6,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviroman View Post
You'd have to define "undoing." Personally, I think Lancaster could use all of the out-of-town help it can get. I'd bet most of the lifelong residents don't want to see that.

Very closed minded.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:24 PM

325 posts, read 368,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggiecars View Post
Very closed minded.
lol, you’re responding to a 12 year old thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania