Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 03:52 PM

57 posts, read 105,979 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be in Williamsport in April, staying at the hotel at the old City Hall. We plan on seeing a concert at the Community Arts Center, which is about five or six blocks away.

Should we worry about walking back to the hotel at around 11:00pm on a Saturday night? I don't know Williamsport, but I have been to some cities where I wouldn't consider doing it, while in others it was no problem. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 05:51 AM

32,604 posts, read 77,242,002 times
No issues. Might be a panhandler or two.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:50 AM

5,287 posts, read 6,084,790 times
What hotel? The only hotel anywhere near the old city hall is the "Old Corner Hotel," which caters to weekly and monthly guests.

Why don't you stay at the Genetti? It's just 1/2 block away from the Community Arts Center.

You can walk through most areas of downtown WMPT any hour of the night and feel safe. But try to avoid areas around the "Cell Block," where ruffians can gather late at night.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:08 AM

5,287 posts, read 6,084,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
What hotel? The only hotel anywhere near the old city hall is the "Old Corner Hotel," which caters to weekly and monthly guests.

I stand corrected. This is something new that I wasn't aware of. The old city hall was used as an office building until recently.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:37 PM

Wells5, it is a new use for the building. I saw last year that they opened a few rooms of an unorthodox design (open showers, big sliding doors, more artsy). Those didn't see to interest Mrs. Pandy, but rooms of a more traditional design are now available, so we decided to check it out. Since we need things to do while in Williamsport, we're scheduling this vacation around the concert (Easton Corbin, a country artist).

My thanks to you and SteelCityRising for the inputs!

PS - I checked out the Cell Block. Interesting place, but I'm guessing it's not quite our style so we will steer clear of it.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:49 AM

32,755 posts, read 35,956,419 times
Those rooms look really nice. The beds look comfy. I wouldn't have a problem staying there.

Walking? I'm not sure. I haven't been there in decades. Probably, but do they still have cab service or get Uber yet?

Old 12-13-2017, 05:54 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,266,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPandy View Post
Wells5, it is a new use for the building. I saw last year that they opened a few rooms of an unorthodox design (open showers, big sliding doors, more artsy). Those didn't see to interest Mrs. Pandy, but rooms of a more traditional design are now available, so we decided to check it out. Since we need things to do while in Williamsport, we're scheduling this vacation around the concert (Easton Corbin, a country artist).

My thanks to you and SteelCityRising for the inputs!

PS - I checked out the Cell Block. Interesting place, but I'm guessing it's not quite our style so we will steer clear of it.

I am not sure how long you are in town for? I 100% recommend taking a 45 - 60 minutes (absolutely gorgeous drive) north to Wellsboro, PA while you are in Williamsport. It is a beautiful town, and then continuing the short drive from Wellsboro to see the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. You will be glad you did it.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:38 PM

342 posts, read 309,158 times
If you like gilded age architecture, Williamsport has several blocks of beautiful mansions, some of which are open to the public for tours.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I am not sure how long you are in town for? I 100% recommend taking a 45 - 60 minutes (absolutely gorgeous drive) north to Wellsboro, PA while you are in Williamsport. It is a beautiful town, and then continuing the short drive from Wellsboro to see the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. You will be glad you did it.
We did that last year! Every year I find an old hotel, usually in a small town, and surprise MrsPandy with a weekend away. We stayed at the Penn Wells in Wellsboro and hiked down the Grand Canyon. We went in early August and had perfect weather. She really enjoyed the canyon, and we also took the Tioga Central dinner train excursion, which was a lot of fun. It's about four hours from our home in Maryland, which is just about right - far enough away that it's new to us, but not a terribly long drive.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
If you like gilded age architecture, Williamsport has several blocks of beautiful mansions, some of which are open to the public for tours.
We do like things like that and are looking for things to do on our trip. Thanks for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania