Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:46 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaIUP View Post
My freshman 101 courses in general were much easier than my major classes. My Theater 101 class was a breeze compared to my Literary Analysis class.
Anatomy and Physiology (freshman) was a breeze compared to Pathophysiology (sophomore). English Comp was a cakewalk compared to Comparative Analysis of Major European Writers of the 20th Century. My point being - freshman coursework does not consist of crypt courses - unless, of course, you're taking them as a senior......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 08:05 PM

46 posts, read 214,879 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Just curious, but where does your daughter want to go to college? Also, I respectfully disagree that "most freshman courses are easy "- my colleagues would probably disagree as well. Just because a student excels in high school and perhaps scores well on the SAT/ACT does not automatically equate with an easy time of things in college. Freshman classes are loaded with all the other exceptional students who excelled in their high schools and scored well on the SAT/ACT. There are deadlines to meet, papers to write, homework (or not), studying for a class that meets maybe twice a week. In addition to that, for many students, "sleep away" college is their first time away from home for an extended period of time. Lots of stress. Most do well, but there are some who simply can't adjust and they do not come back after semester break. One can't always predict who those children will be - wish it were possible... Much luck to your daughter wherever she decides to attend college.
Thanks again for your comments. My daughter has not made a decision yet. She awaits her visit to IUP as their scholarship offer has been best so far. We'll see. Ultimately the decision will be hers. Where she feels most comfortable.

I am not saying that all freshman classes are easy... Most are not overly challenging but do require more than just showing up. I guess it all comes down to the student's work ethic. My son who is super bright and has the high SAT scores (1550) has the most trouble in school. He's has no work ethic. Everything just came easily to him through osmosis in class. College requirements were a real slap in the face. My daughter is smart but possesses a much better work ethic...mostly due from taking her out of public school and enrolling her in a very competitive prep school. She is very prepared for college...I hope. Thanks again!

Old 01-29-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Loved your post

Quote:
Anatomy and Physiology (freshman) was a breeze compared to Pathophysiology (sophomore). English Comp was a cakewalk compared to Comparative Analysis of Major European Writers of the 20th Century. My point being - freshman coursework does not consist of crypt courses - unless, of course, you're taking them as a senior......
Boy do I agree. My daughter's senior year in high school is no walk in the park. I think that she'll welcome freshman level courses after what she's gone through in high school. I remember my high school senior year (somewhat hazily) and although the courses I took were pretty intense, my schedule was a picnic compared to hers.

She takes AP stat, IB (international Baclaureate) Spanish, Comparative Studies of American writers, American History. an art class, a one trimester Quaker religion class and plays varsity sports. I don't think that I could do that. I think that she'll gladly take a sociology or Psych 101 class or two. The second year should be more challenging although I think she's be required to take one honors course per semester starting freshman year.

Thanks for the input!

Old 01-30-2007, 07:32 AM

31 posts, read 121,277 times
Quote:
Just curious, but where does your daughter want to go to college? Also, I respectfully disagree that "most freshman courses are easy "- my colleagues would probably disagree as well. Just because a student excels in high school and perhaps scores well on the SAT/ACT does not automatically equate with an easy time of things in college. Freshman classes are loaded with all the other exceptional students who excelled in their high schools and scored well on the SAT/ACT. There are deadlines to meet, papers to write, homework (or not), studying for a class that meets maybe twice a week. In addition to that, for many students, "sleep away" college is their first time away from home for an extended period of time. Lots of stress. Most do well, but there are some who simply can't adjust and they do not come back after semester break. One can't always predict who those children will be - wish it were possible... Much luck to your daughter wherever she decides to attend college.

It was my experience that the freshman 101 courses were easy as a whole, when compaired to all the other classes you had to take. Thats why I took math 101 instead of some harder course (math 201, 301, etc) because I am terrible at math. It worked for me.
Freshman classes are also loaded with slackers too, that never show up to class and never do the work. Some students take class seriously some don't. A student can be a genious and not take school seriously, and flunk out. College isn't for everyone.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:34 AM

31 posts, read 121,277 times
Quote:
So you did find that some freshman courses are easy?

Old 01-30-2007, 10:11 AM

487 posts, read 1,380,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbdirect View Post
My daughter has been accepted at Bloom, IUP and Shippensburg among others for fall 2007 and wants to study finance/International Business. Anyone out there have any opinions/suggestions? Thanks
All three are fine choices, but my vote goes to Shippensburg, particularly given your daughter's interest in finance/business. Shippensburg's business school has an outstanding reputation, and the recently-constructed Grove Hall (home of the business school) is first-rate. The campus and surrounding area are beautiful, as well.

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2007, 10:33 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaIUP View Post
So you did find that some freshman courses are easy?
in retrospect! I look back and wonder why I struggled so hard. I agree about the math , only I had to take a more rigorous math 'cause I had to take Organic Chemistry for my major. Also, when I was taking these classes, we used something called a "slide rule"; still can't really figure that thing out! Calculators weren't an option.

"Freshman classes are also loaded with slackers too, that never show up to class and never do the work. Some students take class seriously some don't. A student can be a genious and not take school seriously, and flunk out. College isn't for everyone." and that is why we don't see most of them after semester break. The others manage to find a way to just get by, graduate, and then wonder why no one will hire them or why they have not a clue about how to do the job they were "educated" to do. (((sigh))) You take care.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:10 AM

Thanks... I agree about Shippensburg. We visited last summer and I loved the school. She was not as enamored as I although I feel that the 95 degree high humidity weather that day just made everything seem miserable. We just seemed to run from building to building looking for relief. I think we'll take another look when it warms up. She was admitted to the honors program at Ship which I feel would be great for her. Thanks for the info!

Old 02-07-2007, 10:25 AM

487 posts, read 1,380,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbdirect View Post
Thanks... I agree about Shippensburg. We visited last summer and I loved the school. She was not as enamored as I although I feel that the 95 degree high humidity weather that day just made everything seem miserable. We just seemed to run from building to building looking for relief. I think we'll take another look when it warms up. She was admitted to the honors program at Ship which I feel would be great for her. Thanks for the info!
You're welcome. I was very happy with the education I received there. Since I left, they have added Grove Hall, expanded the CUB, and build the Luhrs Performing Arts Center (very impressive!). Taking another look is definitely worthwhile.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:55 PM

Default ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
You're welcome. I was very happy with the education I received there. Since I left, they have added Grove Hall, expanded the CUB, and build the Luhrs Performing Arts Center (very impressive!). Taking another look is definitely worthwhile.
Thanks for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania