Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Pennsylvania: tax advice, sell my house fast, housing, nurse career, appraiser.

Old 11-25-2006, 06:08 PM

48 posts, read 202,158 times

Advertisements

HI, my family and I live here right now in Texas with the house up for sale. We are looking to relocate some where up north. Hubby and I are both originally from Long Island, NY. Can not afford to move there but was thinking of upstate NY. After recently checking out the upstate area, someone told me to to check out PA as there are lower property taxes there supposedly. Could anybody give me some info on some nice areas to raise a family (good schools), need a great neighbnorhood and affordable housing. Do not want to spend over 275K, less would be better as I am a stay at home mom, at least a 4 bedroom. Looking for an area that we are not too far from NYC where we have family. Don't mind a 4-6 hour drive at all, that's what it would be if we choose to move upstate NY. Trying to see where the best deal is. Also looking to get into some lower property taxes. Paying $7,000 here in Fort Worth, TX! If you could give me an idea what the property taxes are there that would be great! I was looking at the housing in MT. Lebanon, Upper St. Clair, McCandless and surrounding areas. Housing looks great in those areas and super affordable. Anybody know of these areas, are they good, safe places to live? Also my husband is a registered nurse, are there hospitals close by?? How is it as far as shopping etc... Any information would be most appreciated. Just wanna know if we should stick with our original plans in moving to upstate NY or explore the possibilities of PA. Thank you so much for your patience as I know these are a lot of questions to answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2006, 07:41 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann1804 View Post
HI, my family and I live here right now in Texas with the house up for sale. We are looking to relocate some where up north. Hubby and I are both originally from Long Island, NY. Can not afford to move there but was thinking of upstate NY. After recently checking out the upstate area, someone told me to to check out PA as there are lower property taxes there supposedly. Could anybody give me some info on some nice areas to raise a family (good schools), need a great neighbnorhood and affordable housing. Do not want to spend over 275K, less would be better as I am a stay at home mom, at least a 4 bedroom. Looking for an area that we are not too far from NYC where we have family. Don't mind a 4-6 hour drive at all, that's what it would be if we choose to move upstate NY. Trying to see where the best deal is. Also looking to get into some lower property taxes. Paying $7,000 here in Fort Worth, TX! If you could give me an idea what the property taxes are there that would be great! I was looking at the housing in MT. Lebanon, Upper St. Clair, McCandless and surrounding areas. Housing looks great in those areas and super affordable. Anybody know of these areas, are they good, safe places to live? Also my husband is a registered nurse, are there hospitals close by?? How is it as far as shopping etc... Any information would be most appreciated. Just wanna know if we should stick with our original plans in moving to upstate NY or explore the possibilities of PA. Thank you so much for your patience as I know these are a lot of questions to answer.
I don't have an answer on where you should live in PA, but go to this website and some of the properties do show an estimated property tax (broken link).

I know that there's a better website for property tax lookup but it just doesn't come to mind. If I remember I'll post it right away otherwise that website listed is something better than nothing unless someone here can provide a better source.

I wish you the very best of luck

Last edited by Yac; 11-26-2006 at 02:38 PM..

Old 11-26-2006, 09:36 AM

69 posts, read 252,841 times
I live in Lewistown, PA and my house is appraised at $165,000 and I pay $2300 a year property tax. Hope this is helpful. Real estate in central PA,

Last edited by Yac; 11-26-2006 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: realtor links removed

Old 01-19-2007, 02:20 PM

33 posts, read 134,989 times
I would think State College, Pa would be the perfect place for you! Go to happyvalleyhomes.org for some more real estate info. State College is a great place to raise a family with award-winning schools. You can get a house for a good price because the prices are pretty reasonable. Mount Nittany Medical Center is also in State College for your husband. Of course, State College is a college town(Penn State), so there is always a sporting event going on. Also, The Nittany Mall is also in State College. It has JC Penny, Sears, Macy's, Bon-Ton, American Eagle, Hollister, and many more. I hope you consider PA!

Old 01-26-2007, 11:12 AM

19 posts, read 96,970 times
I live in Dingmans ferry Pa. Which is very northern Pa I'm here 2yrs but I travel back to NY all the time. My husband comutes every day about 1hr and a half. It takes about1 hr and 45 min. to drive into Manhatten. I jump in all the time to see family. I moved here with my4 adopted children because It was very affordable. I payed 160,000 for my four bedroom house and nice backyard. I also moved here because for years I knew Deleware Valley school districrt had one of the best acidemic programs for the kids. They are so well known for it. It definetly is true because my children love their class and they get Staight A's. I'm a stay at home mom to and have found that the area is perfect for raising kids. Serious shopping is about 305 min. away' But we do have s few smaller grocoery store 15 min. or so away. We are located Close to the Tri stae area. (NY,NJ,PA boarder) As long as you love thecountry this is an awsome place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania