Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 05:13 PM

53 posts, read 275,725 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My parents are considering a move to Ephrata to be nearer to me, but we need more info. Any input would be well appreciated! They are retired and want atleast .50 to 1 acre of land. Can anyone tell me about the nearest park, shopping mall, and grocery stores? They are interested in being near a large lake as well. Is there a nice hospital nearby and also is there a train that takes you into Philadelphia? Thanks so much and I'm looking forward to any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 05:52 PM

46 posts, read 281,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollikee View Post
Hi all!

My parents are considering a move to Ephrata to be nearer to me, but we need more info. Any input would be well appreciated! They are retired and want atleast .50 to 1 acre of land. Can anyone tell me about the nearest park, shopping mall, and grocery stores? They are interested in being near a large lake as well. Is there a nice hospital nearby and also is there a train that takes you into Philadelphia? Thanks so much and I'm looking forward to any replies!

Where do you live?

My mom lives in Ephrata and offers these suggestions:

Lititz is not Ephrata, but both are very similar. They will have to deal with farmland and farm odors unless there are in town. Both towns have nice main streets with shopping and eateries and parks. There is a lake near Lititz, Speedwell, around 322 West. Lititz has a nice park and downtown catering to the arts and antiques. Lititz has Stauffers of Kissel Hill for grocery shopping and is close to Lancaster.

Ephrata has just completed a walking trail along the former railroad tracks....no rail service other than to/from Lancaster.
Ephrata is serviced by Red Rose Transit (public trans./bus) of Lancaster, not sure about Lititz but since it is closer to Lancaster they probably are.

Shopping malls: Park City Center in Lancaster or Berkshire Mall near Reading. There is a Walmart, Kmart, Redners, Weis Msrkets, Dollar Tree and more outside of downtown Ephrata. There is a community hospital in Ephrata, but I think the community is outgrowing it.

Middle Creek Wildlife Mgmt in Kleinfeltersville also has a lake, picnic areas and trails. It is not too far from Ephrata/Lititz.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:23 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times
Lititz also has new hospital, and it's a straight shot to the train station (express service to Philly several times daily). OP didn't say where you lived, but loads of retirement communities for "when the time comes" for parents also located in the Lititz/Lancaster area.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:31 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollikee View Post
Hi all!

There is a Super WalMart on the East side of town that has a grocery section. There are a few small strip malls with Weis and Redner's food stores along Route 272 (Reading Road). This is the same Road as the hospital. Ephrata Community Hospital is reportedly being purchased by Lancaster General. The hospital is excellent. The only train line I know of that goes through Philly is downtown Lancaster. There MAY be a bus that takes you to the station but it's about 10-12 miles away. You may want to check out Red Rose's webpage to be sure.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:48 PM

53 posts, read 275,725 times
Thanks to everyone for your replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania