U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 6,187 times

Advertisements

I lived in Saratoga Springs, New York for about ten years and then I relocated to Philadelphia. Big Mistake- although Philly is great- I am a country girl and need to find a place similar to Saratoga in Pennsylvania. I dont mind driving to places. I love dogs and horses and would like to have some land for a horse and room for my dog to run around! I also enjoy hiking, skiing, just about anything outside! I am a certified high school english teacher so education is important to me and i have a two year old daughter so I would like to find a great, safe place to raise my little one! I appreciate any feedback!!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 10:55 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,363,135 times
Try gorgeous Victorian Bellefonte in the middle of the state. Its about 6000 people (though 140 live in the county) and close to the small, vibrant city of State College and Penn State University. Its located in the lush green mountains of Central PA, has some impressive historic housing stock, gorgeous downtown and parks.

Check out my Bellefonte pictures here:

http://www.pbase.com/deadwing/bellefonte_pa

Old 01-30-2007, 11:08 AM

31,203 posts, read 69,448,384 times
Evergrey, after perusing your work, I must say that you are one extremely talented photographer! I'm absolutely blown away by your pictures. I especially liked your photo tour of Ridgway; it reminds me of so many of the little mining hamlets that are obscured by the rolling mountains in and around southern Luzerne County and Schuylkill County (except Ridgway has much more character). Look for my newest photo tour of Wilkes-Barre, which will be posted within the hour! I tip my hat to you, sir or madam, as you managed to make my mouth water over Bellefonte!

Old 01-31-2007, 03:28 PM

33 posts, read 126,953 times
Bellefonte would be a great pick for you. The townships around Bellefonte like Walker, Benner, and Marion would also be a great choice (they are in the Bellefonte school district.) So would any place in Centre County. It's a wonderful pace.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:44 AM

14 posts, read 80,683 times
I'd consider Hanover or State College.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:22 PM

538 posts, read 2,273,813 times
Having been to Saratoga Springs many times and lived in PA for many years, I can say that you are going to be hard pressed to find an area like Saratoga in PA. The history of horse racing in Saratoga, the underground springs flowing through drinking fountains all over town, the cafes, etc are pretty unique to Saratoga.

That said, the areas around PA are well-known for other reasons and some are nearly as quaint and country-like. PA of the past is well known for lumbering, mining, steel-making, and oil wells. Saratoga was never an industrial giant like the old towns in PA. That makes the towns very different- PA is a little grittier, more blue-collar, with many relics of the past still rusting away on the outskirts of town. Some people don't like that. I would say that Milford, PA is about the closest thing to Saratoga that I have seen in PA.

Just my two cents.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:42 PM

31,203 posts, read 69,448,384 times
I've never been to Saratoga Springs, but I did the liberty of doing some research about it online, and here's what I gathered about the town. Please correct me if I'm mistaken! The town is home to Victorian architecture, tree-lined streets, unique mom-and-pop shops, walkable neighborhoods, an equestrian center, and underground natural springs.

Comparing that to PA, I'll agree that you're going to be hard-pressed to find the latter two amenities in our state. Bucks County, from what I hear, has a large horse-owning/equestrian atmosphere and a few walkable, quaint old towns, such as Doylestown and New Hope, but, overall, the county is also horrendously expensive on the PA scale.

These are the following towns in Northeastern and North Central PA that I'd suggest for you to do more research on:

Wellsboro, Tioga County
Honesdale, Wayne County
Moscow, Lackawanna County
Milford, Pike County
Sugarloaf, Luzerne County
Conyngham, Luzerne County
Dallas, Luzerne County
Clarks Summit, Lackawanna County
Bloomsburg, Columbia County
Lewisburg, Union County
Selinsgrove, Snyder County
Danville, Montour County
Bellefonte, Centre County
State College, Centre County
Tunkhannock, Wyoming County
Jim Thorpe, Carbon County
Montrose, Susquehanna County
Towanda, Bradford County

I realize I just threw a LOT of towns at you, but I expect that you could do a quick Google search for each of those towns' websites or chambers of commerce, do a little bit of research, and then narrow down the list and inquire about those communities, to which we'll all be more than happy to help you with! Some of these communities are walkable county seats with historic architecture and quaint downtowns, some are college towns, and some are more rural areas with plenty of equestrian options that are still somewhat convenient to larger cities for urban amenities for you and your daughter.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:56 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,056,418 times
Great pictures Evergrey!

Old 02-02-2007, 05:21 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,910,810 times
The first town that I thought of was Bellefonte. Not exactly like Saratoga Springs, but a gem none the less.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:21 PM

331 posts, read 1,511,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country girl16 View Post
I lived in Saratoga Springs, New York for about ten years and then I relocated to Philadelphia. Big Mistake- although Philly is great- I am a country girl and need to find a place similar to Saratoga in Pennsylvania. I dont mind driving to places. I love dogs and horses and would like to have some land for a horse and room for my dog to run around! I also enjoy hiking, skiing, just about anything outside! I am a certified high school english teacher so education is important to me and i have a two year old daughter so I would like to find a great, safe place to raise my little one! I appreciate any feedback!!! Thanks!
Saratoga is a lovely town. Based on my experience I'd suggest Lewisburg as the PA alternative: not as much "old money" as Saratoga (and definitely no racetrack!) but a nice downtown and residential section, and Bucknell Univ gives the college connection like Skidmore in Saratoga. Only problem is access to larger cities. Saratoga is a relatively quick shot to Albany, but Lewisburg is more isolated, maybe unless you count that it's about an hour+ to Harrisburg or State College.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or