Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 09:58 AM

4 posts, read 15,822 times

Advertisements

I live in Delaware County and feel like I might as well be living in Manhattan. Does anyone have any suggestions for areas to live in either Chester or Lancaster Co. I want a good school district and would prefer to be in a more country type environment. A quaint little town would be nice. I heard someone make mention of Quarryville. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 06:33 AM

21 posts, read 89,272 times
I live in Chester Cty. but grew up in Ridley Twp. There is just no comparison as far as quality of life. I still go back to Delco to go to school (Widener) and visit family (Brookhaven) but it depresses me. The traffic, the litter, the poverty, etc. I live an hour away from this in Northern Chester County and I love it because it's so pretty and the people are really nice. My family thinks I live in another state (seriously!!), so you may want to consider a Chester County area that's closer to Delco if you want the convenience of going back and forth! Quarryville is in Southern Chester County so I am not too familiar with that area. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:48 AM

I want to add something to be fair to Brookhaven!!! My dad lives in a nice neighborhood there and his neighbors have always be extremely kind and caring toward him (and to my mom before she passed away). It's just that I like a more rural area, so nothing against Delco--hey, I know where I come from and I have never been ashamed of it.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:46 AM

14 posts, read 58,509 times
You say you want country - do you really? Because a school district in the country does not always equal what some people think of as a "good" school district (meaning ultra high SATs and big money to have state of the art everything).

There are a lot of people moving into the Oxford and Octorara School Districts from Delaware County. Oxford is *not* quaint. But if you need access to Route 1, it's just north of it, an easy commute to DelCo.

If you want "quaint little town" - Atglen is up and coming. Kemblesville is adorable but the Avon Grove School District isn't cheap. Same with Unionville. Quarryville is in *Lancaster* County, it is a nice little town but in a very rural district. There is also Strasburg, in Lancaster County - king of the cute little PA Dutch Country towns! And Lampeter-Strasburg is a very good school district. Just don't drive thru the center of town in the summer - the tourists jam the red light and it takes FOREVER to get through.

I used to live in Delaware County, too, still go out every week (live in western Chester County now). I hear you guys about the traffic. Believe me, there's not much traffic in any of these places....except Strasburg in the summer....

Old 02-07-2007, 05:51 PM

Thanks to both of you for your input. This whole moving thing is giving me a headache and being not familiar with the area makes it even more difficult. Your advice is appreciated. Thanks again!

Old 02-07-2007, 06:29 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreenrose View Post
I live in Chester Cty. but grew up in Ridley Twp. There is just no comparison as far as quality of life. I still go back to Delco to go to school (Widener) and visit family (Brookhaven) but it depresses me. The traffic, the litter, the poverty, etc. I live an hour away from this in Northern Chester County and I love it because it's so pretty and the people are really nice. My family thinks I live in another state (seriously!!), so you may want to consider a Chester County area that's closer to Delco if you want the convenience of going back and forth! Quarryville is in Southern Chester County so I am not too familiar with that area. Good luck.

I have to disagree with your assessment of Brookhaven mreenrose.
Brookhaven? Traffic, litter, poverty?

Maybe traffic, but Brookhaven is very clean and has 0% poverty, and virtually no crime which is impressive considering its less than 3 miles from Chester.

Fwiw Quarryville is in southcentral Lancaster County.

Kennett Square might be to your liking laurlaur

Old 02-09-2007, 10:57 AM

I have been looking and we really cant afford chester county. We are looking at homes under $290,000 and there just isnt much. It seems like you can get so much more for your money in Southern Lancaster County. Does anyone have any input on septic. I know what it takes to maintain it and I know the cost, but my concern is that if we were to move in 10-15 years that by then there would be so much new construction that no one would want to buy a home with septic tank even if it is on a 1 acre lot with a beautiful house. From what I am hearing though almost all of the homes in lancaster county and most of chester county are septic. We found new construction in Quarryville which is priced right but every property is .12 acres or so and they all back up to one another. Compare such a small property to a house only 15 minutes which has a private 1 acre lot, on a nice cul de sac BUT has septic/well/oil. Any thoughts?

Old 02-10-2007, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I have to disagree with your assessment of Brookhaven mreenrose.
Brookhaven? Traffic, litter, poverty?

Maybe traffic, but Brookhaven is very clean and has 0% poverty, and virtually no crime which is impressive considering its less than 3 miles from Chester.

Fwiw Quarryville is in southcentral Lancaster County.

Kennett Square might be to your liking laurlaur
Have you been to the Brookhaven K-Mart/Pathmark shopping center lately??? I feel like I need a bodyguard! Only kidding about the bodyguard. But, come on--there is a ton of traffic. There is a lot of trash and litter on the side of the roads. And the people aren't affluent. No offense meant to you, but it's true. I have family there. I grew up in the area. I go back every week to help my dad. I am not making anything up.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:32 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreenrose View Post
Have you been to the Brookhaven K-Mart/Pathmark shopping center lately??? I feel like I need a bodyguard!
Or perhaps a lecture in sociology 101. You sound like you have racial issues to me. I've been through Brookhaven many times and I have no idea what you are talking about. Bodyguards and trash? Brookhaven? Utterly ridiculous. The neighborhoods are incredibly clean and you never ever hear about a crime committed in Brookhaven. No it isn't upper middle class look at me I'm beautiful, but it is as clean and safe as a middle class town can be.

Trash on the roadways? What roadways. Brookhaven has 1 main street that has no trash and the rest of the nighborhood streets are meticulously clean.

Do you mind me asking what section of Brookhaven your family lives in, I know the borough fairly well and the picture you are painting is flat out false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreenrose
There is a lot of trash and litter on the side of the roads. And the people aren't affluent.
Do you think every town in the usa is going to be affluent?

You sound incredibly naive, young or just out of the loop. You need to seriously get out more if you think Brookhaven is trashy and crime ridden. Do you have a rude awakening ahead of you.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:53 AM

460 posts, read 2,421,706 times
The wawa in Brookhaven a boyscout who was selling popcorn out front got mugged earlier in the winter. As busy as a wawa is they managed to rip off the poor kid. I have read the police blotter its not that safe anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania