Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 07:51 PM

49 posts, read 159,635 times

Advertisements

York is far from as bad as everyone says. Most school districts are excellent. I have heard only good about them and my experience with them has been great. I know people who have moved from Maryland and thier children did so much better in York Schools.
People are friendly. I know almost all of my neighbors. There are some rude people but they are everywhere you go.
I see many inter-racial couples. There is also a large hispanic population.
York really isn't as bad as everyone says. There are many great things about it. If you want to know just ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 05:47 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
A place might get a reputation from events that happened 20 or 30 or even 40 years ago. Things change, and you have to get all the facts.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:03 PM

99 posts, read 466,773 times
Default york pa

My view of York, PA is based on its history. I don't know what it's like living there today, but 10-20 years ago there was a huge race riot, a KKK march, and Hanover area too had a riot, controversy with the former York mayor who is a cousin of my Mom's.

I don't know what to degree it has changed, but when I go there to visit, it seems the same, very old-fashioned, but I will say that every year when I go christmas shopping there seems to be an increase in the number of Hispanics.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:35 PM

263 posts, read 1,097,049 times
The court's of York just awarded $45,000 to a white supremacist group that tried to get a permit to have a march in York last year but was denied. They won on a technicality - however, the fact that they are still trying to organize marches let's you know groups like the KKK are still very active in York. I will say that each time they've tried to march - the people of York have managed to shut them down. They may be active, but they don't appear to be very powerful. However, I can just tell that race relations are pretty bad overall, which is why I've decided to leave York after only living here for 1 1/2.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:59 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,303 times
Is elizabethtown closer to York or to Hershey?

Old 07-26-2007, 10:08 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Is elizabethtown closer to York or to Hershey?
It's only a few minutes from Hershey.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:43 PM

15 posts, read 57,042 times
Default Alternatives to York, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
While York is actually extremely diverse, I think race relations there are pretty bad. Everyone keeps to themselves within their own community it seems. You rarely see mixed groups of friends let alone interracial couples. There's a lot of older people in the area with "older" attitudes that are sort of lagging behind the times in regards to racial issues unfortunately. I've heard quite a few racist comments. I would recommend googling "Charlie Robertson trial" as in coverage of the trial of the ex-mayor a few years back, a number of stories were done on the state of race relations in York.

While there are plenty of minorities, and I'm sure some interracial couples as well, living happily in York who most likely haven't experienced any problems, as someone who places precedence on racial acceptance and diversity, I'd recommend other places before I'd recommend York.
Where would you recommend? Where else is within an hour's drive of Baltimore, have good schools, affordable, and have a low crime rate? Also I'm continuing my education so it has to be in close proximity to a college.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,008 times
Default Wow I am Really Shocked

I also live in York, PA...I was born hear and have also lived all over the U.S. and in Germany. I lived in Georgia, Texas, and Germany.....but York has always been my hometown.....I have been back for 13 years and wherever you go you are going to have problems......as far as diversity if York doesn't have it then no where else does either......there are interracial couples everywhere.....this is the year 2007.......

I mean seriously I wouldn't recommend living in the city but if you do there are awesome private schools around, the cost of living is ridiculously low.....I live in Shiloh right now which is right in between York and Dover

Anywhere I have lived, yes even in Germany, there are people who are rude and have no manners. If you are raising your kids right they will grow up to be respectable, educated individuals. Point Blank.....it doesn't matter where you live these days standards have been thrown out the window for the I want it now attitudes. If your job is moving and they are going to pay you a descent amount I say take the job and move. If you don't want to live in the city there are other options within a 5 mile radius. We are so close to many different attractions that it is great for families.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:36 AM

16 posts, read 72,290 times
Hi I saw your question and I was rather disgusted with the answers give to you they werent quite accurate. I have lived in York for 19 of my 20 years, i'm puerto rican as well so I think I might know a little bit about racism here. I wouldnt say the crime rate is bad or good here but I believe it has risen as of late. The city itself is not that great but surrounding you can find plenty of security and fun for your kids, I am also a real estate agent with a local office. Of course to live outside of the city the rent is going to be higher. There are plenty of locations close enough to get to where you need to go but I wouldnt suggest a far commute as some people thought. I-83 traffic can be brutal at times as it has more accidents than rt 30 regularly due to it being the path between harrisburg and baltimore with york in between. There are plenty of homes on the market to choose from to suite you with very good schools but of course the better the more money spent. What is good about here is that there are a lot of privately owned and rented out housing. While York has had a bad reputation for racism it is pretty much in certain areas not throughout. I do agree there are a lot of old habits here but there are so many mixed races here I dont see how anyone can say different. If you have any questions at all please feel free to ask me I wouldnt want someone thinking horribly about our town

Old 11-30-2007, 05:55 AM

7 posts, read 37,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
I work for an organization that is currently looking to relocate - to either Fayetteville, AR or York, PA. I have been asked to move with the organization. York was chosen for reasons such as diversity, low crime, low cost of living, good jobs and schools. However, I have read through all the postings about York and the York area. I was very discouraged. I am a white woman married to a black man -- a dark skinned black man. We have 3 beautiful brown babies. My impression, after reading all the posts, is that York is NOT the place for us or any minority for that matter. Am I getting the correct message? Also - It seems that crime is NOT low and schools are NOT good. This is an extremely serious decision for me. I come from a small
(29K pop.) college town in NE Ohio so diversity is an absolute must. Racial acceptance is a must. Low crime is also a must. So, I am asking for absolute honesty here -- I need the real story on York. What is really going on there? Thank you so much for ANY feedback.
I guess I maybe should tell the four afro-American couples I know of that live in the development I am in (about 40 houses total) they may want to leave. Maybe I should tell the three (at least) interracial couples that go to church with me it is a bad place.
You are always going to hear the negatives but there are lots of good people here, people who care. I could tell you a negative story on Roanoke VA and ten other places. Are there going to be some who are not with the program of treating people as people. Yes, and they are everywhere. York has some, but less than before and we are gaining on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania