Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Philadelphia 103 49.52%
Pittsburgh 105 50.48%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:15 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,694,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbsteelcity View Post
i wont even begin addressing this horrendous post i see before me...

If I am to assume they're commenting on my post which preceded theirs, somebody joined in October of 2009 just to halfway comment on the fact that someone said something nice about Erie, and then never posted again. I like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 11:16 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,694,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kPHI215 View Post
Philadelphia makes Pennsylvania, to compare it to ****sburgh is a joke
I called this person a troll based on their first post, and they never posted again. I like that more.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:11 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,698,254 times
Wow exactly 50/50 at this point, i do prefer Philly and think it has much more to offer, but also believe Pitt is a great city just not on the scale of Philly. Honestly i am surprised of the closeness here, in a more national forum this wouldn't even be close. But I also think this speaks to the perceptual schizm that exists in PA (basically SE PA vs. the rest)

Yes I am homer a bit but really Phildelphia can be mentioned as a world class city and Pittsburgh is really more of regional class. Honestly this is not to say Pittsburgh is not a great place but honestly these are not a legitimate comparator in terms of cities.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,850 times
This should put to rest the argument over the better sports teams between Philly and the Burgh. Mind you after everything is said and done, Philly will hold the edge. Being from Western PA, I do not want to hear all those Philly Fanatic chuckle heads or Terrible Towel waving whiners crying how unfair I'm being towards their teams. I can not stand sport fanatics from either city. Yes I like sports from time to time, i.e. my username, but there is more to life then worrying about underworked and overpaid spoiled jocks. That being said I shall begin.

The following list is based on the championships these teams have won through out their respective histories. All championships have been determined by playing an opponent. These results can be verified through any stat information. In other words google it.

Baseball: Pirates 5 Phillies 2 Athletics 5

Basketball: Pipers/Condors 1 Seventy-Sixers 2 Warriors 2

Football: Steelers 6 Eagles 3

Hockey: Penguins 3 Flyers 2

Final tally: Philly 16 Burgh 15

So you see they are fairly even, although Philly holds a slight edge.

And no. I do not count the Frankford Yellowjackets or the old Pittsburgh Colts.

Now for those of you, or should I say yinzs and yous, who just want to count the current teams, then Pittsburgh holds the edge 14 to 9.

The chance of this post causing more fireworks? Very high. The chances of this post ending the argument? Highly unlikely.

Sports nerds from either town are in desperate need of girlfriends.

Last edited by Iceburgh; 08-14-2010 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: need to change a word

Old 08-16-2010, 09:29 AM

10,220 posts, read 16,729,984 times
go steagles!
just an acknowledgement to connie mack
Quote:
Cornelius McGillicuddy, Sr. (December 22, 1862 – February 8, 1956), better known as Connie Mack, was an American professional baseball player, manager, and team owner. The longest-serving manager in Major League Baseball history, he holds records for wins (3,731), losses (3,948), and games managed (7,755), with his victory total being almost 1,000 more than any other manager. He managed the Philadelphia Athletics for the club's first 50 seasons of play before retiring at age 87 following the 1950 season, and was at least part-owner from 1901 to 1954. He was the first manager to win the World Series three times, and is the only manager to win consecutive Series on separate occasions (1910–11, 1929–30); his five Series titles remain the third most by any manager, and his nine American League pennants rank second in league history. However, constant financial struggles forced repeated rebuilding of the roster, and Mack's teams also finished in last place 17 times.
Connie Mack (baseball) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-20-2010, 08:45 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,592,446 times
I'm from Pittsburgh, but Philadelphia has more to offer.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:40 AM

28 posts, read 56,800 times
Philadephia is a pretty cool city, but not does not have quite as much class/high standards as Pittsburgh does. Pittsburgh is a much better kept, well run city. Philadelphia is commonly ranked as the dirtiest city in America. Pittsburgh has many more lakes,trees, clean air and more nature in general. Even though Philadelphia is much bigger, its suburbs are not as nice as ones in Pittsburgh. The Main Line is a great neighborhood that is very nice and charming, but this neighborhood cannot be compared to Upper St. Clair, Fox Chapel, or Sewickley in the Pittsburgh area. Philadelphia has it's history and all, but in general I think Pittsburgh is a much more well run city than Philadelphia.

I recommend avoiding North Shore, Wilkinsburg, and Monroeville. The mall will be closed up there because of urban blight and there have been about 50 murders so far in 2010, so it's almost as bad as going to the middle east or the Mexican border towns.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:29 AM

783 posts, read 2,012,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceburgh View Post

Football: Steelers 6 Eagles 3

What???? When did the Eagles win 3 Super Bowls? I must have been in a coma for each and every one of their spectacular victories!

Old 08-28-2010, 12:04 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,851,043 times
^^^^ Please LMAO at that one.......

I've always said and will continue to say from someone who has long history with both cities, while Philadelphia is bigger...There's NOTHING substantial that it offers over the Burgh...period....except may its proxitimity to cities that overshadow it...NYC and DC

Old 08-28-2010, 01:27 PM

19 posts, read 32,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
^^^^ Please LMAO at that one.......

I've always said and will continue to say from someone who has long history with both cities, while Philadelphia is bigger...There's NOTHING substantial that it offers over the Burgh...period....except may its proxitimity to cities that overshadow it...NYC and DC

Philly overshadows Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania