U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:50 AM

28,504 posts, read 48,400,233 times

Advertisements

HARRISBURG, Pa. - The clock is ticking down on Pennsylvania smokers who want to light up in many public spaces. A statewide smoking ban goes into effect in less than two weeks — 90 days after it was signed by Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell.

Statewide smoking ban soon taking effect in Pa. - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 09:41 AM

23 posts, read 46,418 times
Another freedom lost!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:32 PM

30,732 posts, read 68,408,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith79 View Post
Another freedom lost!
Another freedom gained---My freedom to dine wherever I choose without having to hack up a lung!

Old 09-01-2008, 05:09 PM

Ever heard of NON-SMOKING.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith79 View Post
Ever heard of NON-SMOKING.
Yes. If restaurants had taken all necessary precautions in the past to ensure that smoking and non-smoking sections were properly segregated, then this wouldn't have been such an issue, now would it? I can't tell you the number of establishments I visited in the past where a "non-smoking" section was adjacent to the "smoking" section. The best example of this was the Donut Connection in Pittston Township, where you could be sitting in a booth literally abutting another booth where people could be lighting up. What's up with that?

Old 09-01-2008, 06:45 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,508,022 times
I am confused. do you not have the right to dine where you want now? I usually chose where I go to eat, and if I want non smoking, I go to non smoking. bans are extremely dangerous. I have said this before and I will say it again. I am not a smoker, but if I was, I would do this. I would start chewing tobacco at every non smoking restaurant I went to. I would spit into a cup and drool while people watched me while they were eating. then we will see how their appetite is. come on people, non violent protest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Another freedom gained---My freedom to dine wherever I choose without having to hack up a lung!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:06 PM

I agree that smoking is a bad addiction to have I quit two years ago and it extremely hard and to this day i find it hard to be around smokers without wanting to light up but its there right to smoke who are we to tell them they can't. I understand the dangers of second hand smoking and i fully agree with the fact some resturants do not seperate smoking from non as they should but i believe the state should move more towards fixing that problem than banning taxpayers rights.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:18 PM

199 posts, read 650,160 times
As of three weeks ago, this 30 year, 3 packs a day smoker has quit. The Chantix is helping this time, not like the last time, but I think that a lot of it is I was ready. I am not craving a cig so far, but I am not going to be one of those righteous, indignant non=smokers, or ex=smokers. It is their right to smoke until it is made illegal. And when it is made illegal, then we can kiss another one of our freedoms goodbye. Most of you don't realize that inch by inch we are expecting big government to take care of us, and we give up a right in order for them to do so. Maybe when we lose freedom of speech, the right to bear arms, etc. you folks will get indignant.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:53 PM

I wonder how many of you up in arms over the government "taking away your rights" by banning smoking in restaurants are also similarly indignant over the government meddling with the affairs of same-sex couples who seek to wed. After all, if the government should "not be meddling with our freedoms," then why on Earth can't my partner and I walk hand-in-hand through Downtown Scranton en route to walking down the aisle? Since the majority in this state are opposed to same-sex marriage, I would have to surmise that a good lot of you that are decrying the ban on smoking in public establishments are hypocrites.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:04 PM

i dont know about majority in that state but the way i see it that also is you and your partners rights but shouldnt that be for another forum not a non smoking resturant forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania