Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2007, 12:21 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,525 times

Advertisements

My son is going to start at Bucknell in the fall and we want to try to buy a small home in the area. Are there any areas to avoid in the Lewisburg / Vicksburg area? Are there any areas that you would recommend as a good place to look? We could actually be up to 30 min or so from the college and be fine, so any towns that you think would be safe & nice and easily accessible would be great.
List approx prices too, if you know them of a typical family home (3 bed)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 12:30 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Lewisburg is a very nice community home to a restored, historic Main Street with an artsy flair to it, as well as the campus of Bucknell (I'm assuming you've already seen this if you've visited the campus). Crime issues in the town are minimal and are limited to mostly college-related incidents such as partying, drinking, etc., as well as some drug issues. You'll never hear about someone strolling down Market Street in the heart of town and getting mugged or raped or anything, so I don't quite know what you mean by "safe." This is small-town America at its finest.

I'm actually dying to head out to the town for a visit during Spring Break to snap a new photo tour to post on this forum, as there have been several inquiries about the Union County area. I live around an hour away in the Wilkes-Barre area, but my parents have been to the town on several occasions for weekend festivals, and they've fallen in love with the town. Vicksburg is located just to the west of town along Route 45, wedged between Lewisburg and Mifflinburg, both of which are safe communities. I don't foresee you having any troubles in any part of Union County.

However, be advised that the Susquehanna River can be very unforgiving during floods; try to inquire about whether or not the property you're interested in is located in the flood plain before you sign on the dotted line. Due to the increasing amounts of runoff being pumped into the river's watershed upstream in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre from increasing development, I could only imagine that flooding will only increase in frequency for those downstream, including in the Union County area.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:22 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,525 times
Default Thanks

Thank you for your input, especially about the flooding..

We have only been there once, and for a very short visit. He just got accepted and since it was his first choice school, he is going to be starting there in the fall.

I LOVED the little main street town area! But to be honest, we didnt venture very far. We were there for a one day visit and the college visit took up the majority of the time. So we didnt get to explore much. How far is this river from the college? I dont recall noticing it.

I am glad to hear that all the little towns in that area are safe and nice. Are they all similar to the area near the college? Im looking at this house as an investment property, that can be used by my son possibly his second year and beyond. Are the property values in that area stable?

Thanks again for your time!

Old 02-07-2007, 01:20 PM

396 posts, read 1,698,164 times
Your son is going to love Bucknell. My husband and I both went there. It is a great school. If you are buying a house where he would live eventually, I would stick to Lewisburg. It is one of the nicer towns in the area and lots of students live downtown after freshman year. The river is on the east side of town and does flood occasionally. I would think any house you bought would have to report if it was in a flood zone and as long as you are not on the street backing up to the river I think you would be fine. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania