U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 8,223 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My wife, myself and our 18 month old son are looking to move out of Sothern California. For multiple reasons, including the cost, etc.

I personally love cold weather and want to be somewhere where it gets snow, but not insane like Minn or anything. She can handle the snow, but again, doesn't want Minn like snow or anything.

Long story short, we both completed a quistionerre that took input about our likes, dislikes, etc.. on multiple issues surrounding entertainment value, weather, polictics, religion, etc..

When all was said and done, the one location that was the same between both of our results was Carlisle, PA. We both have been born and raised in Southern Cali and for a short time lived in Jacksonville, FL....which we both hated.

I love the idea of the wooded area of PA, along with its decently close proximity to NYC and other eastern cities of culture.

But I want to start doing homework on the better areas, including jobs, housing costs, etc.

The one area I thought might be a good area is Harrisburg as it seems fairly centrally located to the state. But as any decent sized city, it has its good neighborhoods and its bad neighborhoods I'm sure.

So I was looking for any suggestions on research areas on the web or any suggestions for nice suburbs of this area, recommendations, or any information you might deem helpful.

Thanks again in advance for all your help.

David
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 05:54 AM

23,800 posts, read 36,401,615 times
Default relocation

Hi David,

Harrisburg would probably be a good choice for you based upon your criterias, especially for finding a job, but would urge you to check out a couple of other options too. I'm preparing to do the same thing you are, and found one common thread in my final choices...they're all college towns. In your case, I would recommend State College (home of Penn State), Lewisburg (home of Bucknell),
or Williamsport (home of Lycoming). A commonality of college towns is a stable economy, good schools (educators demand top notch for their own kids), a vibrant cultural scene and overall great places to live. I'm quite a fan of Lewisburg and Williamsport myself. Check out www.bucknell.edu and www.lycoming.edu Good luck!

Kyle
member name kyle19125

Old 02-10-2007, 09:22 AM

1,516 posts, read 6,330,450 times
I agree with Kyle and would also add Selinsgrove (home of Susquehanna University) and Bloomsburg (home of Bloomsburg State University) to the list.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:19 AM

13 posts, read 48,842 times
Hi David -- I grew up in Carlisle and have lived in Southern California for the past 37 years. My husband and I are buying a place in Carlisle and moving back there for a late-in-life change. It is a GREAT place to raise a family if you will commit to being part of making the community great yourselves. The whole region is growing fast and suffering from growing pains. The farms are disappearing now and housing developments growing up (think Orange County or Santa Clarita), so you need to decide if that is going to be OK, or if you want something more rural.

Over the years, I felt I could not make my career there but needed LA, but today our society has opened up more. Nevertheless, Central PA and Cumberland County in particular have remained quite conservative. Consider being part of the change...

Old 02-12-2007, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 8,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onmywaytoPA View Post
Hi David -- I grew up in Carlisle and have lived in Southern California for the past 37 years. My husband and I are buying a place in Carlisle and moving back there for a late-in-life change. It is a GREAT place to raise a family if you will commit to being part of making the community great yourselves. The whole region is growing fast and suffering from growing pains. The farms are disappearing now and housing developments growing up (think Orange County or Santa Clarita), so you need to decide if that is going to be OK, or if you want something more rural.

Over the years, I felt I could not make my career there but needed LA, but today our society has opened up more. Nevertheless, Central PA and Cumberland County in particular have remained quite conservative. Consider being part of the change...
Funny you mentioned Santa Clarita. Thats exactly where I live. I like it here, with the exception of the cost and lack of seasons....LOL.

What suburbs of Carlisle is nice? I knwo when you goto Realtor.com, even under carlisle, they list mutliple little areas, but I have no idea whats good and whats bad.....

I mean heck, even in Santa Clarita, there is less nice areas....

Thanks everyone and any further info would be great.

David

Old 02-12-2007, 04:07 PM

87 posts, read 387,326 times
Hi there, we moved to York (about an hour south of Carlisle) a little under 2 years ago from north san diego county. We haven't explored the area well enough for me to give you much more perspective other that where we are and a little of our surrounding area but I can give you some generalizations. My husband and I are also CA natives and have never lived outside the state until now. So much info to impart so I'll try to break it down:
What we like most:
- better, smaller schools- my kid is getting lots of individual attention
- beautiful woods and everyone takes such good care of their homes (at least in my hood lol)
- such a different atmosphere to explore- Civil War and colonial landmarks, Amish country, Chesapeake Bay and Maryland, short trip to NY
- big beautiful house for what we'd pay for a condo in the barrio in San Diego
- basement- my 7 year old can't get over having a basement lol
- you don't have to water your yard ha ha- when we first moved here I spent an hour trying to find the sprinklers lol only to get a weird look from the neighbor when I asked how they water their lawns ha ha
- seasons- the kids especially love the snow. I personally don't mind the humid summer (and it is not really that humid either) but my husband hates it.

What we don't like:
- no mexican food
- bad food in general and service usually leaves a lot to be desired (even fast food is bad lol)
- people are um, not as obsessed with appearance as in CA you could say
- people are generally not as warm and friendly (again, this is a generalization)
- the bugs here are creepy lol
- school taxes/property taxes are high (but then again the schools are better so there is a trade-off)

Challenges:
- buying all new clothes for family so you are dressed for the weather. We still look borderline crazy when we go out.
- people here are way more conservative and I get lots of weird looks being in my 30's with pink hair streaks, a nose ring and 3 kids lol
- produce obviously not abundant or cheap- especially in winter. Hard to adjust to paying 5 dollars for 2 avocados and almost 3 dollars for celery!

Not sure if this will help at all but let me know if I can clear anything up for you

Old 02-23-2007, 01:06 AM

2 posts, read 7,067 times
Default Be Careful!

I lived in PA much of my life and have recently moved to California. There are many good things about PA and the setting is absolutely perfect!!! Even though winters can be harsh, there is a nice flow to life. We LOVED picking strawberries, blueberries, apple picking, hiking and things like that. My son loved "being free" to run about. What we totally disliked: The Central PA mentality -- I encountered so much negativity there that I found it devastating to my spirit. Avoid places like Williamsport and the surrounding areas. There are lots of race problems there. The social backbone blames the "Phila. influx" for everything. The amount of racism I observered there, as a caucasian, I found appalling and very pre-Civil Rights. Landing a job is near impossible unless you have correct social connections. Schools are relatively good but beware, pretty little towns are being inundated by gang activity.

I hope I didn't burst your bubble! My absolute favorite place in PA and well worth moving for is Happy Valley (State College). I would move there in a second. Close by, and also nice, is a small town called Bellefonte.

Hope this was helpful.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:06 PM

33 posts, read 228,924 times
Default Pa!!

When you say your moving to PA... thats not too specific, PA is huge!

I guess the first thing to consider is what location you gonna look at. You need to consider why your coming here... employment? education? scenic beauty? ski resorts? farming? Whatever it is, it should probably guide your searches.

If you're interested in Central PA (which includes Harrisburg, Lancaster, York, Carlisle, and many smaller towns in between), you could look on Central PA's very own website www.pennlive.com for employment & housing ideas. There are many posts in this forum about Central PA also.

Northeast PA is close to New York, NY.
Southeast PA has Philly, Baltimore, Wash.D.C.,
South Central PA has Harrisburg, Lancaster, and York.
Western PA has Pittsburg,
North / Northwest is far more rural than the rest of the state.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 14,048 times
Default Know what you want before you move

It sounds almost too simple. You need to move to an area that has what you are looking for. Penna is a big state with diverse cultures and diverse opportunities. I live in the Northeast, near Scranton. It is the tip of the Poconos. We can be mid-town Manhattan or downtown Philadelphia in 2 hours. Buffalo, Boston, Pittsburg or Washington DC in 5 hours. Close enough and far enough away. We have mountians, seasons and splendor abound with each. I don't know what type of profession you have but that may be more of a limiting factor rather than geography and demographics. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metropolitan area has some fine colleges and universities (Wilkes, Kings, U of Scranton, Marywood, Lackawanna College, Keystone College, two branch campuses of Penn State University and Scranton is building a new Medical School in the downtown). Our area has often been highly ranked by Rand McNally because of the low crime rate and affordability of housing. It is truely a diamond in the rough area but it is not for everyone. Best of luck.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:13 AM

2 posts, read 11,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwii View Post
Long story short, we both completed a quistionerre that took input about our likes, dislikes, etc.. on multiple issues surrounding entertainment value, weather, polictics, religion, etc..
Is this questionnaire online? I would like to try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania