Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 06:55 AM

641 posts, read 2,370,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Maybe if it wasn't complete garbage, yes.
Typical dismissive attitude

I think the major problem here is that these PA lovers want to censor everything. It's a pathetic attempt to try to draw more people in and elicit more tax revenue so that the PA legistature can give themselves another raise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 07:42 AM

469 posts, read 1,451,615 times
Hi everyone. I am actually hoping to move to PA in the near future. I was wanting to get a better feel for the area as I have never been to PA. Are there any areas that you all dislike more than others?
You see, if we do get to relocate, it would be in the Sinking Spring/West Lawn area. I would love to get honest, objective opinions from you all.
The reason I want to leave Houston is due mostly to the unbearable heat and humidity here; which seems to last most of the year. I have compared the humidity levels to Reading, and it is always lower, with much nicer temperatures.
Anyway, I would love feedback from anyone who has lived in the area.
Thanks everyone!

Old 09-27-2008, 08:46 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I don't know all that much about the area you want to locate to.
But, on the whole, Pennsylvania has all four seasons and that in itself seems to make people return either to visit, or live in the state.

Having spent most of my life living in NJ, it was a delight to come to a more wide-open spaces type of environment. The land and mountains are plentyful. You will especially enjoy the amount of State Parks in the state...Some like Ricketts Glen are abundant with waterfalls. Others have lakes to swim, and go boating/kayaking and along with that comes of course, great hiking/biking.

To some, our summers feel humid. To others it means a good time to head to the shore, lake, or pool. Personally, I hate to see the summers end.
I don't feel they are all that humid, ah.. a day or two perhaps.

You will find the people to be friendly, and down to earth. Its not uncommon for a waitress or local person to chat awhile with you ,like they were your long lost friend.

What I love is riding into the countryside and having the mountains take my breath away. Visiting one of the lakes and enjoying it surroundings.
There are some places in PA where you can be high on a mountaintop and taking in the views from near and afar. ( Big Pocono State Park, Rt.306 into Scranton, the top points of Dickson City, PA, even from the PA turnpike looking down on Scranton)

I gladly listen to the naysayers on PA but, usually it is someone who has moved out of the state, and they write the same negatives in their new state location.

Truely it is a blessing to live here, and you'll know it when you drive the Pennsylvania roads across this wide and awesome state.

The World is full of all kinds and types of people. I like to enjoy them all.....it makes life more rounded and interesting.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:18 AM

248 posts, read 798,027 times
here is the deal as i see it (not that that matters in the least LOL!). EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion. that means if you dislike PA then, by all means, feel free to say so - in a curteous and respectful way. you can not expect to come to the PA forum where the majority of people really love the state AND all its misgivings, post your unhappiness (and sometimes criticisms of people who love it here ) and not have people defend themselves and the state where they have made homes, have memories and tend to look more at the positives then the negatives.

do people sometimes go too much the other way when talking about (and defending) PA? sure - but i really feel that is in direct response to feeling that if you hate pa so much, then you must think that those who love it are idiots. does pa have it's issues? you bet your arse - do we all know about them? YEP we sure do! is it wrong to focus on the positives rather then the negatives?

i agree. it is silly to dispute the negatives like they dont exist. but i also think that this forum wasnt created to be a PA bashing board. when people ask questions about pa i think both sides should be presented, but to be fair - the absolute miserableness that is displayed by some on this board i think is more an issue of being mismatched to a state which (for some reason or another) they seem to not be able to leave. i would venture a guess that the unhappiness with the state may have some correlation to unhappiness in other areas of life as well.

ETA: i do think it is wrong to delete or lock posts just bc someone posts that they doesnt like the state. that is silly. but i am thinking there were some more personal things being thrown around which is probably more the issue.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:59 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Everyone has their right to an opinion, but to dislike PA is to dislike America. Pennsylvania is probably the best example of everything in America in one state. It's a microcosm of the country. You have big liberal cities, small rural towns, miles and miles of endless wilderness, small college towns, medium sized cities....liberal, sophisticated suburbs and sprawly conservative exurbs. Up and coming growing areas and declining rust belt towns. Seriously, if you can't find a part of PA to like, you're just a hard to please person.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:16 AM

641 posts, read 2,370,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Everyone has their right to an opinion, but to dislike PA is to dislike America. Pennsylvania is probably the best example of everything in America in one state. It's a microcosm of the country. You have big liberal cities, small rural towns, miles and miles of endless wilderness, small college towns, medium sized cities....liberal, sophisticated suburbs and sprawly conservative exurbs. Up and coming growing areas and declining rust belt towns. Seriously, if you can't find a part of PA to like, you're just a hard to please person.
So I hate America if I hate the state of PA? Interesting analogy there....

Old 09-27-2008, 11:53 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post

Well said!

Old 09-27-2008, 03:26 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
As far as things not to like about PA people,at least in the area of Lehigh Valley south,one trait I don't get and don't like about certain ones I've come across is that they talk a big game but then cower when challenged to follow through.
Integrity,people! Look it up. Stick with one thing and quit being flip-floppers.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:12 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
Hi everyone. I am actually hoping to move to PA in the near future. I was wanting to get a better feel for the area as I have never been to PA. Are there any areas that you all dislike more than others?
You see, if we do get to relocate, it would be in the Sinking Spring/West Lawn area. I would love to get honest, objective opinions from you all.
The reason I want to leave Houston is due mostly to the unbearable heat and humidity here; which seems to last most of the year. I have compared the humidity levels to Reading, and it is always lower, with much nicer temperatures.
Stinking Spring seems like an ok area as long as you don't get to close to Reading

Old 09-27-2008, 06:12 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
So I hate America if I hate the state of PA? Interesting analogy there....
Yes, although I have a feeling you're a person who hates things just because.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania