Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:46 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,577,423 times

Advertisements

Having lived in NJ most of my life.......I now live in PA.
Really the worst drivers I encounter have NY plates. They are in an extreme hurry......Even if your driving over the limit, they pass you in speeds well above that.
I have watched them cut off people, curve around people,and do everything they can to keep the speed up.
PA drivers.....are so much more relaxed. They know they will get there in due time. The need for speed is just not in the thought process.
Oh gosh yes.........95 in Virginia is a nightmare. The beltways are the utmost worst experience....
Besides.......maybe.........driving in Times Square!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:47 AM

155 posts, read 225,001 times
here, here!
Born and raised in Pa, ( Hershey area) and his points are all valid. We are moving on out of here and sooooo happy to be rid of PA!

Old 07-16-2009, 11:40 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,907,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
PA drivers.....are so much more relaxed. They know they will get there in due time. The need for speed is just not in the thought process.
Yeah they are usually the ones dong 10 miles below the speed limits, not using their turn signals, hogging up two lanes meant for turning and keeping straight traffic going, and constantly ride slow in the passing lane of a two lane road. They cause more issues/accidents than the fast drivers IMO.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:24 PM

22 posts, read 86,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I think it's bad to try and stereotype an entire state. There's too many variables that go into who someone is and there are too many subgroups in PA to generalize all 12 million residents.

However, having said that, having spent the full latter 50% of my life here, I can defintely say there is some truth to the negitive stereotypes of PA people. Here in Bucks Co, there is definetly alot of snobbyness and pretentiousness regarding class and wealth. Once in working class sections, the overwhleming macho-tough guy-wanna be gangster attitude is prevelant. Both these groups for some reason tend to be found in abundance here in PA. And the high rate of seniors also lends itself to the overall culture being around 20-30 years behind in terms of ideology, tolerance, culture, etc. Things like intellectual curiosity, race relations, thoughtfullness, anger, etc all seem noticeably worse here than in most of the rest of the Northeast US. Now, alot of it is NY/NJians coming here with their own Upper-class suburban attitudes, but alot of it is homegrown as well.....
About the macho tough guy thing, I wouldn't necessarily call it a "gangsta" mentality(although you DO see that here as well!). To me, it appears to be more of a thing where folks think that just because they work in industrial unionized labor and they can routinely drink 25 beers in one shot and not feel a thing that they are tough guys who can lick any SOB in the house. They seem to love and celebrate their rough edges.

Also, I feel that while most people can and do leave their work at work, the people mentioned above can't seem to do so. Meaning, these tough guys can't seem to leave all of the macho behavior, dirty jokes, bad language, etc. at the mill, plant, factory, etc. where it belongs. They take it with them everywhere. Thus, they tend to alienate a lot of people except for those who share their mentality.

It seems as though being tough is an obsession with lots of people in PA. Having a rep as a "hard-ass", especially in some parts of PA, will get you far, unofrutnately. Too many folks here in PA think being nice is a sign of weakness as well.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:34 PM

4 posts, read 12,702 times
It's all personal opinion really. I moved from MD to PA and can honestly say I hate living in PA but I must because of my job. You'd think moving out in the country would be quieter but for some odd reason people out here love to be as loud and obnoxious as possible. It's as if they modify their trucks to be louder than jets on purpose and every other vehicle is an obnoxiously loud Harley Davidson too. I'll see guys on bikes go driving down the street randomly revving their bikes hoping someones looking at how "cool" they are. I lived in a largely populated area in MD and it was MUCH quieter than where I'm at now and yet it's far less populated here. Everyone seems to love noisy trucks and bikes here. I can understand a noisy car if it's fast but whats the point of making a pickup truck insanely loud and yet still crazy slow? It makes no sense.

Also racism and a hate for homosexuals seems to be the norm where I'm at in PA. I'm Caucasian and straight but it's still a culture shock. Where I lived in MD being homosexual or a different race was pretty much a non-issue. Also, being atheist wasn't an issue too. Sure their were exceptions but it was far more rare than here. Where I'm at now it's pretty much the majority.

There are pros to living in PA though. People generally are much nicer in PA than MD. Where I lived in MD people generally minded their own business. There was no interaction with strangers for the most part. In PA it's not uncommon a random stranger will start a conversation with you at the store or hold open the door for you; assuming your white and not homosexual of course. Religion seems really big here too so if you're looking to raise your family in that type of environment you'll probably like it. (If your atheist or agnostic you'll probably just want to keep it quiet though.)

Honestly, it's all personal opinion and deals a lot with your type of personality. I personally can't wait to move but I'm sure someone else would love where I'm at. Also, while the area I live in might be this way I'm sure other areas in PA are probably vastly different than here. (or at least I'd hope so ) I definitely liked where I lived in MD. It was much more open and diverse. I also liked the anonymity of MD. I'm not really into starting conversations with random strangers and all that stuff but some people love that sort of thing.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:54 PM

23 posts, read 61,747 times
you are 100% right

Old 03-16-2010, 05:33 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,590,072 times
You know what I hate most about Pennsylvania? People who won't shut up about how much they hate Pennsylvania, and **** all over those who like Pennsylvania. Yeah, I don't like some of the "old-school" Pennsylvanians who are the reason stereotypes about the state exist in the first place, but I'm observant enough to realize that not only are those people are steadily losing their influence in the state, but also that the state just isn't homogeneous enough to make a blanket judgment about. Inner-city Philadelphia is different from suburban Philadelphia, which is different from Potter County, which is different from the Mon Valley near Pittsburgh. Hell, the East and West Ends of Pittsburgh are pretty different too. There's no way in hell that the 12.6 million people who live in Pennsylvania are all in lock-step with each other, and quite frankly, you're a fool if you believe so.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:03 PM

25 posts, read 38,915 times
Default When PA is home...

Well, I was born and raised here in PA, most of my family is here. There is not just "one thing" to make a place good or bad. I'm not just "from here" I also have lived here most of my life. I've also lived in rural VA, southern CA, OH, and WV. I have friends who've moved here from other places, and I have friends who aren't "white" and have told me their opinions of the area.. There are many aspects to consider, and your values, tastes, interests and those things that are important to you will determine your opinion of PA.... and the location you are in is KEY here, because it is a microcosm of the USA. Blue around the edges near the urban centers, and RED in the center, farming and mountain areas and small towns, little "liberal" islands in the Red areas. And areas that are "conservative" are only about 75% that way and interesting, intelligent, culturally minded, creative people can come from both sides of the political spectrum, but it sounds lke you'd prefer more liberal minded folk, a bit easier going and less stuck in a certain negative mentality.... and those people are here, you just have to find some and make friends with them.

I read the first 6 or 7 pages of this thread along with the last 2...It's never cut and dry to say a place is good or bad, but PA is bad in some regards and they are pointed out pretty clearly here. I wish I could say I like everything here. For the mountains and four seasons, and the ability to "get away from it all" it's great here, and I can say I love that about PA.
The people who do suck, suck BAD. Not everyone... but MANY people here have a mixture of some or perhaps all of the following character traits: egoistical, shallow, materialistic, hypocritical, ignorant, racist, closed minded, pessimistic, uncreative. Not a pretty picture indeed. But if you go to other areas, you find different character traits, some good, some bad. Depends on what town you're in. Depends on what neighborhood in a town. If you find an area where the general "character" of the people isn't overwhelmingly like the aforementioned, then I suppose PA can be lovely in terms of it's people. I'll stick to my mountains and my solitude. I grumble about some neighbors and the trucks and motorcycles going by that are so inconsiderate "LOOK AT ME! I"M LOUD!"... I wish they wouldn't do it! (I swear, It's happening AS I TYPE!) I hate loud noise! But I know lots of bikers and most of them are just great people who won't judge you on a personal level. And what's more important? I poke fun about the vroom vroom (see that South Park episode?) Many are really involved in some aspect of local sub-cultures .. like bikers, or racing or hunting... Most of the women just shop., scrapbook, and collect Longaberger baskets at basket bingo... OR, they strap their tramp-stamped bee-hinds on a bar stool 3 nights a week and hoot and holler with those big, mean guys after work! hahaha!!! If you feel outside of ALL these values and interests, then certainly, socially, it sucks the big one in many parts of PA. Yupperrrr!
I can't afford to be"economically sheltered" from realities such as drunks on 4 wheelers, coon hunting woof! woof! woof! woof! woof! at midnight !... and VROOM! VROOM! just outside your windows, sour pickle people whose faces will crack and fall off if they smile...( hit the all you can eat Chicken and Waffles Dinner at the fire hall and make 'em all smile "for once", will ya? hahaha!!!)
It's no secret!! These things are REAL! And they're ANNOYING and they're HILARIOUS, and they're SAD... BUT they're SAFELY predictable!! THIS, my dear, IS the culture here! And it is a strong culture you can identify and trace back through years of stoic religious beliefs added to a "PA Dutch" (German) work ethic, or a coalminer's pride. So true how people are brought up to never show any "soft" emotions like caring or weakness... emotions that seem approved of are : anger or digust, or ridiculing someone who's "lazy". Which brings me to another point: In PA, you can be the biggest JERK... a mouthy, trash talking, wife beating, drunken m***er f***er, but people will excuse you.... if it can be said, "But, MAN he's a WORKER! Yeah Buddy!" It's "religious" hallowed tradition to work hard and kill yourself like an ox... just be hard! and work hard! And ye shall be redeemed! Who here can deny this??? Makes a pretty strong point!! And most people will agree that it's kinda f***ed up, huh? Speak the truth! But best to understand it first.
My boyfriend and I are both the homebody quiet bookish- hippy nerd types, so you'll find us enjoying hobbies that involve being out in nature (when it's not hunting season), We drive out of town 10 or 20 minutes to get to mountains, and completely away from people anyway, so who cares how nasty they are! If you're into "social" scenery, it can be bad. Sometimes I wouldn't mind being closer to a more liberal minded city for the culture and art and music scene, but I don't want to live in the city. PA is my home... I might stay. I don't really "need" social interaction much. Heck, I can't stand most of my own family half the time, though I do love them, help them if they need me, and try to understand them!

As a kid, I just figured I'd have 10 acres and a garden, a couple of animals, woods, privacy etc. like everyone in my entire family before me!! I've nearly given up on that. If we take 10 years to pay off just the land, then live in a shed? I never never never thought I'd have to go $150,000 debt for an ugly little ranch/box on a quarter acre next to 10 others in a "development" where a farm used to be. If I could afford a big patch of land I'd be happier...

People move out here, paying waaay too much for a "gentleman's farm". (BAHA HAHA! SO pretentious! ) and get "away from it all"... I don't hate them, just the fact that country living is not available to most locals anymore unless you inherit it... But with the influx of city folks comes some good changes too... I've met the folks from NY or NJ or Philly, who are pretty liberal minded, with kind attitudes, and more creative interests... just really nice people, and some of them bring ideas and involvement to the area, which I'm glad for... Most of my best friends these days came from the city to here. They come here to work and hide out, fleeing urban decay, or they come to retire. Some pay a half a million dollars for an old chicken farm that 15 years ago wasn't worth 100,000. And the locals say of them, "Wow, dumb a$$es from the city have more money than brains!!!" .. and they drive the price of land SKY HIGH... So that meanwhile, local people who've been here all our lives can't afford solace.
We're under the impression that if we don't want to put up with the local mentality, then we have to "get away" Then to find an area we can afford that doesn't have "issues" well is a crap shoot, which creates a whole other opportunity to be set back in life... It's expensive mistake to move away and find out it's not going to work out for whatever reason. I've done it.. My bf is from here, moved away to a liberal small city where there were lots of interesting decent and friendly people, stuff to do, culture, music, health minded "foodies", a downtown community, tons of markets and restaurants... But spent 2 wks pay each month for decent 1 bdrm apt! So in 2007 moved back here to a town that is nearly dead. he'd been gone long enough he didn't know it went to H*** after Walmart moved in, Businesses and jobs moved out...spent a year's lease living there and *screaming inside* (NEVER move before having a job some places got drastically worse in the lst 10 quick years. I'm a student and hopefully "recession" will blow over by the time I finish. But the economy in this area was NEVER great!! Unless you A. Own a construction company "developing" farm land B. Sell real estate to city folk or C. Work your A** off in a factory or drive truck 90 hours a week ...as previously discussed. Half the area is "working poor" making 10 bucks an hour or less, (BLESS their WORK HARD pride!!). NOW many are on unemployment and clueless as to what Bush did to the economy...what really bugs 'em is we have a black man for President. I speak out in support of Obama! Factories here sit empty for years now, many females go from waitressing to nursing or teaching, jobs that pay good around here. Half the men are in "trade school" to get skills for which there are few jobs.

If I move away? Who knows!?
But if it isn't in the cards and I stay, then there are things I consider doing that you'd be wise to consider too, and there are many, depending on your interests:
Join a local artist's group, (or start one!). Find a community supported Agriculture program and garden! (call your local Cooperative Extension office in your county) Visit the small galleries we do have... Find more musicians to hang out with. Buy stuff from downtown shops. Go out to the small local restaurants and coffee houses. Talk to more people and be friendly, volunteer for projects with the Borough... I paint and take photos, get into conversations that help people to see themselves, and maybe take themselves less seriously! Go dish out Chicken and Waffles, or help the meals on wheels food bank! Write a newspaper column! Send letters to the editor of the papers about things that could be better. Don't denigrate others or be prepared to further alienate yourself. ((Unless, like me, you don't mind alienation!)) Respect the stoic, hardworking mentality of these big mean rough and tough country bumpkin brutes. They have their place and their place is Pennsylvania!! WE are the oddballs, not them... it doesn't mean they don't appreciate an "oddball" now and again, even if it's just to laugh at us and think WE are weird... ?
You just generally have to keep an open mind about people! Encourage grumpy people to lighten up! Smile more! Just do it! Take more time in nature. Use the internet for connections with others who share interests, take day trips to other areas with more activities, bus trips to the city, museums, join my local historical society and find out more why some of the backwards things are so prevalent! (IHATEPA mentions some of those cultural things, it must fascinate him too! It is amazing!) Become a local "resource" for that history!
You can call a spade a spade and say it like it is.... but you must see it from all sides to be legitimate about your arguements, and you do sound negative and one sided. ACCEPT that if it's your lot in life, and find ways of NOT JUST POINTING OUT ALL THAT IS WRONG... but developing ways of understanding it, accepting it, respecting it, do things that focus on "good", and make it a better place for yourself...and for others! Keep it real, be honest, but CARE! Care is VERY contageous! Half the folks you'll find around you have themselves thought to leave too, have had their hearts broken, feel short changed in some way, dream about what else there is, work hard for self esteem because it's all they know to do, they have felt alone or different, have regretted times when they were "too tough", have had times when someone was too tough on them, and wish they weren't so awkward about it all!!! They're human, just some do a real good job of hiding it behind bravado, or workaholism, or a cautious attitude.... but try to look just a little closer.
I take this thread to mean you do not wish to remain completely miserable... and you post here to try to sort out your feelings here, where even though some of us do know the truth to what you are saying, we have had to find ways to cope with it or change things that we've found to be within our power to change. No one ever changes anything unless FIRST THEMSELVES.. Be kind, open minded, exhibit the things you want to see from others, never hide who you are to "fit in" it's the ONLY way to recognize you're not SO ALONE! Find others to laugh about the craziness of the entrenched culture all around! These people have goodness in them, they know they're grumpy hard-a** hicks! They'll jump your car, show you how to fix stuff, patiently help 3 year olds hunt easter eggs, appreciate a sunny day, donate to charities, take an interest in things that might surprise you, or... help you move your furniture onto the U-haul if you decide to move away!
When you move and find the next place strangely similar, please don't just end up back here even more entrenched and defeated... the area has too many here, feeling defeated like this, just waiting to get the hell out again... I know aLOT of people who moved away.... are they happier? ...Meh. Maybe? Not by much.

Part of really being your own person means you must be proactive in your own chosen lifestyle wherever you go in life... and I hope what I've said here helps someone... I've gone through some major struggles with a LOT of what is being discussed here, and my long post is because it's very emotional for me to see it expressed here so explicitly. Wow...

For me PA is home, but it only makes me feel like an abused kid IF I LET IT, but there is so much more that this to my life!! Whatever you must do in the future to get by and be happy.... you'll be doing just that anywhere you go, and life is hard everywhere for a lot of us. And honestly I'd say most days I can't believe I am from here, but although it's not a perfect relationship, me and PA? We're OK, and that's up to me.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:01 AM

10 posts, read 15,901 times
Default Rude

I have lived in the Lehigh Valley since 1987. I was born in New York, and have lived in Delaware, Maryland, Alabama, and New Jersey. I can honestly say the people in the Lehigh Valley seem to be very arrogant and rude. Of course this doesn't apply to everyone. It seems if you wern't born and raised here, you are an outcast and not welcome. Just an example, if you dare try to help someone, example holding a door open for someone, you will be lucky to get a thank you. Usually, it's a weird look of how dare you I can open the door myself type of attitude. Some said it's the Pennsyvania Dutch German heritage, as they are very arrogant. My opinion isn't coming from someone who just moved here from somewhere else and is homesick, this is from somebody who lived all across the country. Another example is neighbors. I understand you don't want to get too involved as problems can arise. an example , I had a problem with a storage building door. The neighbor cattycorner to me is a carpenter. Keep in mind we all have been neighbors for 13 years and never had a problem. I asked for his help and I would throw him some cash for his efforts....his exact words "I don't do things on the side". The neighbor directly behind me was a carpenter as well, and when I asked him he looked at it for a minute or so and said sure...never to hear from him again about it. I can understand if we all had problems and didn't want to help. This type of attitude is very hard for me to understand. If I was asked to help out a neighbor, I would jump on it. Maybe it's my upbringing, but, I don't understand. Coming from New York, I can honesty say the people are more friendly in NY. As this is not a contradiction, I would love to hear some smart ass Lehigh Vally individual visit a bar in NY and speak his smart ass arrogant talk up there. As I said the NY people I find more friendly than here, but they don't put up with arrogant asses as well.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:53 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,360,955 times
Sorry Halen, but maybe you live in a bad neighborhood. My husband went down this morning to our neighbors house (recent widow) to show her how to use her pressure washer. We routinely borrow each other's tools and 6 of us co-own 3 snowblowers. Twelve of us women play bunco monthly and just celebrated the 20th anniversary of that - and I know other neighborhoods that do the same. I love the Lehigh Valley, and my town and neighborhood in particular. It's the friendliest place I've ever lived and we've lived in five states.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania