Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: favorite university and why? then tell about town located in
Lock Haven 0 0%
Edinboro 1 4.00%
Slippery Rock 1 4.00%
Clarion 1 4.00%
Mansfield 0 0%
Pitt Bradford 1 4.00%
Gannon 1 4.00%
Penn State 15 60.00%
Indiana U of PA 5 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 02:31 PM

54 posts, read 224,485 times

Advertisements

oh i kinda want to teach in upstate ny like the watertown or burlington vt area. or in ny in general. but im not sure and i think pitt main doesnt have teaching degree like pitt bradford. i could get into Main but i dont really want a huge class or teachin in the city. so idk its confusing i dont really want to go to school out of state cause i wanna be close to home then move to ny when i graduate and get a job. but idk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 03:55 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,363,767 times
Dylan, Teaching is one of those careers where the location of your college is extremely important. Your certification will not easily transfer from state to state. Also, you will need a minimum gpa and praxis scores to even get into the teaching program. At Millersville, the education majors is one of the most competitive. If you want to teach it above 6th grade, you will probably want to double major in your subject. Are you a junior or a senior?

Old 11-14-2008, 02:09 PM

54 posts, read 224,485 times
i am a junior and i dont even know what major i want. i want to go into social studies for secondary or high school. but i dont know if i should major in that or in history and minor in education. i dont think i would know what to double major in anyway. i like anthropology but thats not common in schools . i found out today you need a masters to teach in ny. so i figure stay here till i get my masters then move to ny and get away from the home.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:18 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,363,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan D View Post
i am a junior and i dont even know what major i want. i want to go into social studies for secondary or high school. but i dont know if i should major in that or in history and minor in education. i dont think i would know what to double major in anyway. i like anthropology but thats not common in schools . i found out today you need a masters to teach in ny. so i figure stay here till i get my masters then move to ny and get away from the home.
Well, that's sort of true. In NYS you can get your undergraduate degree, teach and then get your masters - same as PA. The difference is that you HAVE to get your masters to get your permanent certification in NY. If you look at colleges in NY that have an education major, you'll see that most of them are just Bachelors programs. All PA teachers have to keep taking classes and get higher pay for each degree so most of them get at least a masters. Certification from Start to Finish

For teaching secondary education, in PA that's grades 7 -12, you would usually major in secondary ed and the subject you want to teach. I don't think there's a minor in education. The whole point of getting a degree in education is to be certified in the state so what would a minor get you? You need all of the credits in the major to get a degree in education. Teaching in PA: How to Obtain Pennsylvania Certification (http://www.teaching.state.pa.us/teaching/cwp/view.asp?a=90&Q=32511&g=140&teachingNav=|93|94|&te achingNav=|1904|1911| - broken link) It's a fairly complicated process in each state with different tests and certification procedures. You might want to ask some questions down at the education forum here on citi-data.

You surely don't have to figure any of this out now, but you might want to keep it in your mind as you look at colleges.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 9,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
No, it would not get you the same recognition as Pitt.
Yes it would get you the same recogniton as going to Pitt because on your degree it does not specify that you went to a branch, it only says University of Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania