Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:40 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,354,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
Also what suburbs of Bethlehem would give me good schools and safe neighborhoods? Private school really is not an option for us.
If you just want to be in the vicinity of Bethlehem then you should look at Parkland or East Penn - those are the top rated school districts in our area. However, if you want a smaller but still very good school district closer to Bethlehem, you might be interested in Southern Lehigh. We chose it eleven years ago and are still happy with our choice. We're about an hour from Philadelphia (good thing - my husband is a season ticket holder for the Eagles) and an hour and a half from NYC. Good shopping moved in a couple of years ago with the Promenade Shops - Welcome to The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley which has become very popular. If you do a search on this site for our adopted town of Coopersburg, you'll find some of my ramblings. My favorite alternative to Coopersburg is Emmaus which was ranked as one of the best towns to live in last year. It has a great down town, reasonably priced houses and parks. Emmaus is in East Penn School District.

If you haven't visited these sites to compare schools in all areas, this might help you eliminate or add a district: Search for Pennsylvania public schools. or SchoolMatters - Find a School (http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=fnd - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 08:52 PM

641 posts, read 2,363,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
We did drive by Reading and saw the distant skyline and did notice a mall near it. What area would you suggest? Also is Reading safer than the others and does it have more to offer? Never been there and for some reason I have done no research on the suburbs around it. Keep in mind schools and a good community down town area are what are tops on my list. Thanks
Stay out of Reading. It is a ghetto

Old 10-20-2008, 08:07 AM

24,338 posts, read 22,891,284 times
Reading is definitely not safer than the others, but I'd say its on a par with Allentown, and none of the other cities mentioned here stands out as being "safe." I'm just saying that Berks has alot to offer location wise, school wise and safety wise outside of the city.
I think any city school will be a challenge.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:10 AM

248 posts, read 794,243 times
the burbs of both allentwon and bethlehem are very safe.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:22 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,748,751 times
Why suburbs? Why do people always immediately count out the cities?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:38 AM

cause living in center city allentown or some areas of bethlehem AREN'T safe.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:42 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,354,439 times
I think there is a bit of confusion with the term "suburbs". I think of suburbs as strip malls and housing developments. However, PA is also full of small towns with main streets and their own personalities and histories. We live just outside of one small town and my husband works in another small town. Most of our neighbors do the same or work from their homes. There is nothing wrong with living in a city, suburb or small town, it's just a matter of what works for each person, couple or family, right?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbaby View Post
cause living in center city allentown or some areas of bethlehem AREN'T safe.

Sure...SOME areas....but the reasons many city neighborhoods have deteriorated is because people fled to the cookie cutter suburban subdivisions. The cities would still be thriving if people stayed in the cities and stopped ruining the environment with rampant sprawl.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think there is a bit of confusion with the term "suburbs". I think of suburbs as strip malls and housing developments. However, PA is also full of small towns with main streets and their own personalities and histories. We live just outside of one small town and my husband works in another small town. Most of our neighbors do the same or work from their homes. There is nothing wrong with living in a city, suburb or small town, it's just a matter of what works for each person, couple or family, right?

Established small towns are one thing.....but like you, when I think suburb, I think of trees being knocked down for cookie cutter housing developments and chain restaurants, while once-thriving older neighborhoods deteriorate.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:29 PM

ok i see there is a logistics issue here. when i say suburbs i mean not in the middle of the city. i live in an older neighborhood where all houses are unique and we actually have really old trees (i always think of those new subdivisions as having seedlings all over). i live 8 minutes from downtown beth. actually i would totally consider living in historic beth but we could never afford it!

i agree - when people leave the cities it causes issues. but what do you do when you are raising small children and you are surrounded by crime? no not all areas are bad, but some are. can you really blame people for leaving an area if they are fearful for themselves and their children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania