Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:25 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times

Advertisements

What has to stop happening in not only our state but around our nation is this notion of "city = icky." I can think of some neighborhoods in Scranton or Bethlehem, both medium-sized cities, that I'd prefer to live in as far as aesthetics and apparent safety are concerned, than many suburbs I'm familiar with. I don't consider desirable well-established small towns like Coopersburg, Emmaus, or Macungie to be "suburbs." I'd consider Forks Township, Palmer Township, Saucon Valley, etc. to be "suburbs." In my impending relocation to Hartford I'm actually considering a "suburb" that happens to be a small city in itself---Manchester. This community has sidewalks, a thriving downtown area, tree-lined streets, modest yet well-kept older homes, and a neighborhood spirit that you can't find in those McMansionvilles. I currently live in a suburban subdivision where it's an incessant case of "keeping up with the Jones's." One neighbor just got a new BMW. Another neighbor has been transforming their already posh home into a Mediterranean-styled villa. Then you have people like me who don't give a hoot about materialism living in sterile Stepford/Wisteria Lane hell.

It's amazing the number of idiots in this state who will say "stay away from Bethlehem" or "keep out of Scranton" as if these cities in their entirety are the plague or something. None of our state's struggling medium-sized cities will ever be gentrified and revitalized if we keep turning our backs on them. Instead I cringe as I see tree after tree near my home falling each day to make way for more subdivisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 09:28 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,358,091 times
But ScranBarre, Aren't you yourself planning to leave?

I think it's funny when people talk about "leaving" the city when many of us have never lived in a city and don't want to live in a city. Not because of crime, but because they're crowded. I'm glad people want to live in a city and I highly recommend Bethlehem for anyone that asks which Lehigh Valley city they should live in, but if someone says they are looking for a small town, I'm not going to suggest a city.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:06 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,749,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
But ScranBarre, Aren't you yourself planning to leave?

I think it's funny when people talk about "leaving" the city when many of us have never lived in a city and don't want to live in a city. Not because of crime, but because they're crowded. I'm glad people want to live in a city and I highly recommend Bethlehem for anyone that asks which Lehigh Valley city they should live in, but if someone says they are looking for a small town, I'm not going to suggest a city.

Crowded? We're talking about cities like Bethlehem and Scranton, not New York City, Philadelphia, or Washington. To be honest, Scranton neighborhoods are almost indistinguishable from neighborhoods in surrounding established older small towns....except for that here in the "big city" , we don't have to drive in our cars for every single convenience.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 10-23-2008 at 10:48 AM..

Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,358,091 times
I've never even lived in TOWN let alone a city of any size. So crowded to me means something different then someone that is used to a city. What can I say, I grew up in Delaware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania