Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 03:15 PM

3 posts, read 12,561 times

Advertisements

My husband, myself, 4 children and mother are relocating from Cincinnati Oh to York PA in July. We are moving to Condorus Farms and thought we were moving into the Suburban school district as we are less than 1 mile away from Indian Rock Hill Elementary. We are now being told (yet to be confirmed) that we are in the West York school district. Therefore, we are looking into both of the local St. Joseph's Catholic schools (kingston rd and Dallastown). We'd love any advice and help on these optiosn as well as other options in the area. We have seven-year-old triplets that do best in seperate classes and an eleven-year-old. HELP!

Also, we'd very much appreciate any general information on the following: medical resources (mother is handicapped and needs support), recreation - lakes/boating/skiing/parks/equistrian, daily communte to Hunt Valle Maryland (down 83)...and anything you might offer as information. We feeling a bit lost and unsettled, yet want this to be a very positive move for us all.

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Sue Smith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 04:24 PM

73 posts, read 320,416 times
Just looked on the map of where you were- That is not West York Schools. I think over that way might be Spring Grove School District. Just to let you know that St. Rose of Lima is just down the road on Richland and Market St. And just a note about the Catholic Schools in York (I went to St Rose Elementary and York Catholic High schoo - Class sizes are small. I was in 6th grade 12 years ago and 'graduated' with only 26 others! Not sure what medical resources you need, but you seem to be close to York Hospital (IMHO is better than Memorial) There are also a variety of nursing homes, rehabs, ect. all within close proximity to you. Check out lake redmen, I have a lot of fond memories there. Hope this helps! Good luck with the move.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:39 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,942,369 times
I can probably help you out with school district concerns, but need more details as to where you are purchasing a home. If you are moving to Codorus Farms, is that a new development or area of new homes being built that might not be on the map? If you are within a mile of Indian Rock School, you might actually be in Dallastown school district. The line runs somewhere along Indian Rock Dam Road that divides Suburban from Dallastown. I know of the cousins that live across the field from each other, and attend different schools.
We do have an organization of mothers of multiples-PM me for more information about that.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 12,561 times
Red face Exact Address

Many thanks for both of your responses. Our exact address is actually referenced two ways: 2500 Indian Rock Dam Rd or 5 Codorun Lane. Indian Rock Elementary is 1500 Indian Rock Dam Rd.

If you're coming from the elementary school in Indian Rock Dam Road, it is 3/4 mile past Hatswank Rd on right (4 houses down lane in area of woods). All mapping tools are NOT accurate in locating our house so wanted you to know exactly.

This is the first "blog" site I've ever accessed so I must confess that I do not know the reference to "PA me." Would love to hear more about the multiples groups.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Sue

Old 05-16-2008, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 8,623 times
I can't help in terms of your precise location, except to say the area of Codorus Farms is an attractive area. In terms of school districts, and from personal experience, if you care about the education of your children, and it sounds as if you do, avoid Spring Grove MS like the plague.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 8,623 times
In terms of your other questions, Sue, there are some great parks very close, lots of equestrian opportunities as well as water sports (eg. Lake Marburg) and some very good medical resources. eg. Yorktowne Family Practice for family medicine, and York Hospital has an excellent reputation. The commute to Hunt Valley, which is about 35 miles, could take about an hour, as Rte 83 is becoming increasingly busy with commuters driving to and from Baltimore. It's an easy drive and you could get on at the Loganville or Leaders Heihgts ramps.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,267 times
I am preparing to move to the York area. I am looking for information on school districts. I am curious on how you picked an area to buy I do not know anything about the area and neither do the people I talk with. I live in Media, PA and want to move somewhere similar.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:16 PM

578 posts, read 2,098,102 times
I was curious about York

1) Is this rural or suburban?
-Is it undergoing intensive developement?
-If suburban...where do the people commute?

2) What is the area's general allegiance to?
-Is it to Philly, Pittsburgh, and PA or to Baltimore or both?

3) What TV stations do you get?

4) What sports teams do people root?

5) Is there a difference between southern York county and the rest...or is it all similar in terms of it being PA or Baltimore alligned?

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:10 PM

17 posts, read 41,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
I was curious about York

1) Is this rural or suburban?
-Is it undergoing intensive developement?
-If suburban...where do the people commute?

-Is it to Philly, Pittsburgh, and PA or to Baltimore or both?

3) What TV stations do you get?

4) What sports teams do people root?

5) Is there a difference between southern York county and the rest...or is it all similar in terms of it being PA or Baltimore alligned?

Thanks.

was curious about York

1) Is this rural or suburban? I would say suburban and rural
-Is it undergoing intensive developement? There are a lot of residental developments as well as business development at the moment, but I wouldn't say it was intensive to the degree of being annoying
-If suburban...where do the people commute? People commute north to Harrisburg (PA capital), and south to Baltimore, MD. There are also those who commute west to Lancaster, PA.

-Is it to Philly, Pittsburgh, and PA or to Baltimore or both? It's such a crazy mix! There are tons of fans devoted to all 3 teams so no matter what you'll fit in! Even larger "normal" stores (i.e Walmart/Target) carry both Philly & Baltimore team wear & the Galleria mall has an Orioles store

3) What TV stations do you get? As far as news stations we get Harrisburg news, Lancaster news, York news, & Balitimore news

4) What sports teams do people root? Popular local teams are the York Revolution (minor league baseball), Harrisburg Senators(minor league baseball), & Hershey Bears(minor league hockey)

5) Is there a difference between southern York county and the rest...or is it all similar in terms of it being PA or Baltimore alligned? I would say it's pretty much the same, York has a very large Baltimore/MD transplants & commuters, so southern York county may be a little bit more partial to Baltimore alligned just based on commute proximity/etc.

HTH!

Old 10-24-2008, 03:26 AM

10 posts, read 66,120 times
I was curious about oakridge lane???? I was told it would be the Dallastown school district. I have a child in highschool Which one would she be going to???? I read on another blog that there is a newly constructed one. I also have elementary aged children any ideas on which school??? I will be going to see the house This Saturday 10/25. Also as a hispanic family will we encounter racism if so to what degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania