Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 07:17 PM

330 posts, read 1,976,744 times

Advertisements

But the negative thing seems to be the job growth! Or am i wrong? I do not live there but i heard from many people that many companies are laying off employee's and new comapanies are not moving into the area.

Is that true?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan View Post
Lancaster County is like new shoes, you have to brake them in or else you'll be uncomfortable. As long as you aren't very wacky you should be able to find friends pretty fast. The eastern part of Lancaster County is very conservative, the west side is more new age. As for scenery, Lancaster County is very beautiful and the county is very healthy, unlike Houston which ranks 2nd in the country as the most unhealthiest city in America. Lancaster should be a good fit for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 07:27 PM

164 posts, read 200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
But the negative thing seems to be the job growth! Or am i wrong? I do not live there but i heard from many people that many companies are laying off employee's and new comapanies are not moving into the area.

Is that true?

thanks
Yes, very true. You also have to pay a $52 EMS tax that comes out of your first paycheck. Since this whole universal healthcare thing, businesses are losing money and laying off workers to compensate and lick their wounds. Welcome to PA

Old 03-04-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Lancaster County

Huh? What is this about ? I never heard of that? A joke huh? ("You also have to pay a $52 EMS tax that comes out of your first paycheck")

So Lancaster county is having a lay off problem? Does this mean the county is going down? Homes dropping in price? Without jobs the homes will drop in price fast, how else can people get by?

Overall how does everybody like living in Lancaster compared to where they are originally from?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtm84 View Post
Yes, very true. You also have to pay a $52 EMS tax that comes out of your first paycheck. Since this whole universal healthcare thing, businesses are losing money and laying off workers to compensate and lick their wounds. Welcome to PA

Old 03-07-2007, 09:30 AM

Default People from Lancaster Pa!

Hi to the locals of Lancaster County! Could you please read the posts above and please give me as much info as possible on Lancaster County? Jobs, cost of living, property taxes, the schools- not only the best for educaction but also safety, crime areas, Malls , anything helps.

Thanks

Old 03-13-2007, 07:13 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Default drug bust

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/201670

Old 03-13-2007, 10:04 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,112 times
Unemployment in Lancaster County is 3.8%, lowest in the state. Some of the larger companies are reducing their workforce and moving some or all of their operations oversees or to Mexico to take advantage of cheaper labor. This happens everyday throughout the U.S., so it's not just a Lancaster County problem. Overall, the job market here is good to very good. There are a number of companies who are hiring skilled blue-collar workers; some are really hurting for good employees. Job-seekers may want to focus on the smaller companies.

As far as crime is concerned all I know is that I can sleep much better here then I did before we left Philly. Granted, there are some issues here, but nothing out of the ordinary. Your wife can take your kids to the playground and not worry about having her purse snatched or being forced to dodge bullets. Some areas are bad, but most of the county is safe, day or night.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:50 PM

33 posts, read 209,855 times
I have lived here for most of my 28 years and have never heard about NYC gangs infiltrating our county. This is a pretty cool place to live and getting more diversified. Closer to the city is better, if you ask me. Drugs are a problem everywhere; some places are worse than others, and some places are good at hiding their problems.

I was born and raised here and I am a Christian, but also a democrat, and my best friend is gay. So we're not ALL that narrow-minded.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:56 PM

33 posts, read 209,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
So the good news is that the police busted these guys and made an example out of them. In my opinion, that's a positive post.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Lancaster

I'm very glad to read the post above and hear that they caught those drug dealing bums. But now to make a real example they should lock them up forever. And make the next person think twice before they do the same crime. I hope they dont get a slap on the wrist and get fined and 15 years in jail or something. Life in jail sounds fair to me.

Keep this Lancaster post going. I'm sure its helpful to others not just me.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:56 AM

64 posts, read 276,157 times
Default yes please, keep the post going!

I've looked at greatschools.net and seen the scores of the area school districts - I suppose if they are strong academically, it is a decent representation of the atmosphere of the schools (ie under control, respectful etc.) - but aside from those scores, can anyone from the area vouch for the schools listed as "average" like Manheim Central or Donegal? Drugs? Sex? Danger? Disrespect? Parent involvement? Teachers that care/seek out problem kids to help improve their situation? Someone mentioned they heard good things about Manheim Central - looking for good schools for our kids but isn't everyone - but cost is a factor looking at real estate... What schools do the locals consider really good, or just fair? Fair as in, maybe if my kids are semi intelligent, they might be bored or lost in the shuffle... would a focused student get just as good an education at let's say Manheim Township or Donegal?

I love what I hear about the area - work ethic, etc. Are kids being taught character, integrity, kindness or just "knowledge"?? Is this reinforced in the schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania