Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2009, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Louisiana and Pennsylvania
3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Reputation: 3128

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
I can tell you what I know after being here 3 1/2 years:

1) Cost of living is low to average; quality of life is excellent.
2) Most of the county is safe, clean and pleasant. I've heard that Columbia, Lancaster city and parts of Ephrata have had some drug and crime issues.
3) Most of the school districts are very good, with Manheim Township and Warwick being near the top.
4) Lancaster General, Heart of Lancaster General are consider to be among the best hospitals in the state. My wife has been treated at Ephrata Hospital and had great things to say about it as well.
5) The air is very clean here, since there aren't many manufacturers in the county. Bear in mind there are alot of farms out here so the allergy problem may be tough to deal with.
6) There are PLENTY of things to do here. Several playhouses on Route 30. They just opened a new movie theatre in Lititz and it is outstanding!
7) Traffic can be rough, especially at rush hours. Routes 501 and 72 can try your patience sometimes.
8) Some of the best routes to enjoy scenery are 772 East from Leola to Route 30 and 23 from Route 322 into Chester County. There are plenty of other roads to drive that you can really soak in the sites. Every town has something going on during the year. Lititz just had an ice sculpture display downtown and it was amazing. If you get bored out here it's by your choice!
9) If you're a "people person" from out of town, be prepared to invest in alot of time before you are accepted. It can be tough in the beginning trying to fit in. Since you have young children you will have more avenues to meet people then we've had. Outside of that you will really enjoy living here. If you need bright lights, loud noise and need to be the center of attention this isn't the place for you. However, if you're seeking calm, peace and can be easily entertained then you will enjoy it here. You can leave your child's toys outside on the sidewalk overnight and know that they'll be there in the morning. Hope this helps alittle.
Lititzman is the man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2009, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Kennett Square, PA
1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Reputation: 2935
Sounds like Heaven to me, actually. Living all my life in congested, overdeveloped, LOUD, brash Delaware County, I can't wait to get out. I view many of these comments to reflect people who will give you privacy. Give me a half-acre, a vegetable garden, a pool and my dogs, and I wouldn't care if I never saw a human soul. To each his own, I guess. As long as they keep a clean town, I would be there tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Kennett Square, PA
1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Reputation: 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin2Maine View Post
Wow! you are exactly right! I'm from the general area and I agree completely with your observation. I know people that moved to the area from out of state to save money and they hate it, what is the sense of saving a buck if in turn your quality of life sucks? I'd rather spend more money to be in an area that has more to offer in terms of quality of life and nice people, than be surrounded by manure and people that are backwards and cheap. "Hey naa, Vell how much is dis gonna cost me, na oncest" or "if you aint Dutch you aint much".
If someone wouldn't mind indulging me, I'm most curious about this. Are the snobby people to whom many of you refer the actual mennonites and amish folk who (I'm guessing) serve as your merchants? Are your neighbors the descendents of these people - or just people (non-religious) who grew up there? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Lancaster County, PA
1,742 posts, read 4,341,008 times
Reputation: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
If someone wouldn't mind indulging me, I'm most curious about this. Are the snobby people to whom many of you refer the actual mennonites and amish folk who (I'm guessing) serve as your merchants? Are your neighbors the descendents of these people - or just people (non-religious) who grew up there? Thanks
The Mennonites that I've met are friendly; the Amish are more reserved. I don't know if a person's religion has much to do with the way they treat others. I'm a member of the local Catholic church and they are the biggest group of phonies I've ever met. During Mass they act like we're all brothers and sisters but the second the Mass ends they go into their little groups and ignore everyone else.

Frankly, I get very tired of hearing from people like Krofts5 stating that "outsiders" are violent drug users who want to change the way of life here. We moved here to embrace the quiet peace of smalltown USA, not to make it into another Philly or NY. We didn't arrive here with needles hanging out of our arms and guns on our hip! Stop blaming us when your local farmer sells their land to developers who build nice, affordable houses so people who are living in declining areas can come and provide a better way of life for our families. "We bring crime here"? The high-profile murders that have occured here in the last several years were committed by young men who were born and raised here, not by those horrible "outsiders".

We've been here going on six years and have tried EVERYTHING possible to try to be accepted but all we get is petty backstabbing and cold shoulders. Like I stated before, it's like Wisteria Lane and Sesame Street rolled into one. We always buy items that the local kids are selling, participate in the garage sales and other events, and try to "go with the flow", yet we're still treated like intruders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Kennett Square, PA
1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Reputation: 2935
[quote=lititzman2003;8222764]The Mennonites that I've met are friendly; the Amish are more reserved. I don't know if a person's religion has much to do with the way they treat others. I'm a member of the local Catholic church and they are the biggest group of phonies I've ever met. During Mass they act like we're all brothers and sisters but the second the Mass ends they go into their little groups and ignore everyone else.

Frankly, I get very tired of hearing from people like Krofts5 stating that "outsiders" are violent drug users who want to change the way of life here. We moved here to embrace the quiet peace of smalltown USA, not to make it into another Philly or NY. We didn't arrive here with needles hanging out of our arms and guns on our hip! Stop blaming us when your local farmer sells their land to developers who build nice, affordable houses so people who are living in declining areas can come and provide a better way of life for our families. "We bring crime here"? The high-profile murders that have occured here in the last several years were committed by young men who were born and raised here, not by those horrible "outsiders".

We've been here going on six years and have tried EVERYTHING possible to try to be accepted but all we get is petty backstabbing and cold shoulders. Like I stated before, it's like Wisteria Lane and Sesame Street rolled into one. We always buy items that the local kids are selling, participate in the garage sales and other events, and try to "go with the flow", yet we're still treated like intruders.[/QUOTE]

It's truly terrible that you and your family had this experience. I simply don't get why local folks refuse to warm up. Have you ever brought it up to anyone privately? what are the township meetings like? Is it only locals who run things in the town - I rather amazed that newer folks haven't been elected to local positions since there are more and more of them. Very strange indeed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Lancaster County, PA
1,742 posts, read 4,341,008 times
Reputation: 838
[quote=soulsurv;8225161]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
The Mennonites that I've met are friendly; the Amish are more reserved. I don't know if a person's religion has much to do with the way they treat others. I'm a member of the local Catholic church and they are the biggest group of phonies I've ever met. During Mass they act like we're all brothers and sisters but the second the Mass ends they go into their little groups and ignore everyone else.

Frankly, I get very tired of hearing from people like Krofts5 stating that "outsiders" are violent drug users who want to change the way of life here. We moved here to embrace the quiet peace of smalltown USA, not to make it into another Philly or NY. We didn't arrive here with needles hanging out of our arms and guns on our hip! Stop blaming us when your local farmer sells their land to developers who build nice, affordable houses so people who are living in declining areas can come and provide a better way of life for our families. "We bring crime here"? The high-profile murders that have occured here in the last several years were committed by young men who were born and raised here, not by those horrible "outsiders".

We've been here going on six years and have tried EVERYTHING possible to try to be accepted but all we get is petty backstabbing and cold shoulders. Like I stated before, it's like Wisteria Lane and Sesame Street rolled into one. We always buy items that the local kids are selling, participate in the garage sales and other events, and try to "go with the flow", yet we're still treated like intruders.[/QUOTE]

It's truly terrible that you and your family had this experience. I simply don't get why local folks refuse to warm up. Have you ever brought it up to anyone privately? what are the township meetings like? Is it only locals who run things in the town - I rather amazed that newer folks haven't been elected to local positions since there are more and more of them. Very strange indeed
The same old people doing the same old things, and don't you dare question anything we do here! That's the general mentality of this town, anyway. Our church will close in the next few years if they only allow parishoners who have been members for decades to participate in the various associations. Sometimes, like now, I get disgusted but most times I'm just amused. I know others in our development who have come from other states and they have the same problem. Elected officials are born and raised here; "outsiders" have no prayer of being elected to any office. I've attended town meetings and joined different organizations and I was ignored when I presented ideas of how to make my town more livable and tourist friendly. These people think, since it worked in the '70's, it should still work now! My family and I have volunteered our services to this town over and over but finally gave up after constantly being blown off.

Somehow the natives here can detect an "outsider" a mile away and the guard automatically goes up. SOME, not all, may have no clue about something but it doesn't stop them from passing judgement. Most people west of Chester County think that Philadelphia is Dodge City and we're all thugs. And, God forbid, you're over 35; that's another strike against you.

Walk downtown in Lititz during the busiest time and you can count on one hand the number of people who will acknownledge your presence. They don't look up at you, hold the door for you as you enter a shop, say "excuse me" when they want to pass you on the sidewalk, nothing. Sunday, my wife was working in the garden and spotted some neighbors talking. When she approached them to say hi they scattered. Some people will say hello when they're by themselves but when they're with their buddies they ignore you. It's alot tougher for the women. You better be pretty, slim, young and have no more then two kids or you're the ongoing victim of the nasty conversations.

The kids? Send them to public schools and get them involved in sports, especially field hockey. My children go to Catholic school and are still considered by our neighbors to be "geeks". Oh, if you have "special needs" children be prepared to isolated, you AND your child. It's even worse for minorities here as well.

Sorry to aggravate the natives; this doesn't apply to everyone. However, before you write back putting me down for my comments maybe take a moment and imagine what it's like in my shoes and feel what we feel.

Last edited by lititzman2003; 04-07-2009 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Center City Philadelphia
1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Reputation: 451
[quote=lititzman2003;8225956]
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post

The same old people doing the same old things, and don't you dare question anything we do here! That's the general mentality of this town, anyway. Our church will close in the next few years if they only allow parishoners who have been members for decades to participate in the various associations. Sometimes, like now, I get disgusted but most times I'm just amused. I know others in our development who have come from other states and they have the same problem. Elected officials are born and raised here; "outsiders" have no prayer of being elected to any office. I've attended town meetings and joined different organizations and I was ignored when I presented ideas of how to make my town more livable and tourist friendly. These people think, since it worked in the '70's, it should still work now! My family and I have volunteered our services to this town over and over but finally gave up after constantly being blown off.

Somehow the natives here can detect an "outsider" a mile away and the guard automatically goes up. SOME, not all, may have no clue about something but it doesn't stop them from passing judgement. Most people west of Chester County think that Philadelphia is Dodge City and we're all thugs. And, God forbid, you're over 35; that's another strike against you.

Walk downtown in Lititz during the busiest time and you can count on one hand the number of people who will acknownledge your presence. They don't look up at you, hold the door for you as you enter a shop, say "excuse me" when they want to pass you on the sidewalk, nothing. Sunday, my wife was working in the garden and spotted some neighbors talking. When she approached them to say hi they scattered. Some people will say hello when they're by themselves but when they're with their buddies they ignore you. It's alot tougher for the women. You better be pretty, slim, young and have no more then two kids or you're the ongoing victim of the nasty conversations.

The kids? Send them to public schools and get them involved in sports, especially field hockey. My children go to Catholic school and are still considered by our neighbors to be "geeks".

Sorry to aggravate the natives; this doesn't apply to everyone. However, before you write back putting me down for my comments maybe take a moment and imagine what it's like in my shoes and feel what we feel.
This is terrible, I have a good friend who grew up in Lancaster county and has told me many of the same things you have said here.

My question is....wasn't Northeast Philly better then that? I know you wanted a good life with better schools, etc. But it seems like there is so much more of a community feel with neighbors helping neighbors in the city. I know where I live, while still in central PA, is literally the polar opposite of your situation. People say hi on the streets, there are neighborhood meetings where new people are welcomed and invited and actually asked lots of questions (when I first moved here and attended a neighborhood watch group). This is a "welcoming" neighborhood for a lot of reasons but probably the biggest is that most of the people have moved here in the last 20 years as the area has gentrified.

I think you should try getting together with a lot of newcomers and try to form your own community group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Lancaster County, PA
1,742 posts, read 4,341,008 times
Reputation: 838
[quote=danwxman;8226172]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post

This is terrible, I have a good friend who grew up in Lancaster county and has told me many of the same things you have said here.

My question is....wasn't Northeast Philly better then that? I know you wanted a good life with better schools, etc. But it seems like there is so much more of a community feel with neighbors helping neighbors in the city. I know where I live, while still in central PA, is literally the polar opposite of your situation. People say hi on the streets, there are neighborhood meetings where new people are welcomed and invited and actually asked lots of questions (when I first moved here and attended a neighborhood watch group). This is a "welcoming" neighborhood for a lot of reasons but probably the biggest is that most of the people have moved here in the last 20 years as the area has gentrified.

I think you should try getting together with a lot of newcomers and try to form your own community group.
The reason we left NE Philly was that we felt the neighborhood we lived in was starting to decline. Robberies and larcenies were increasing, tweenies were drinking in our common driveway and we wanted a single house in a quiet, safe area. Well, we got that but we weren't planning on being shunned by the locals. We came from Philadelphia, not Mars!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 11:06 AM
 
175 posts, read 589,938 times
Reputation: 299
WOW, that is awful! I would have thought Lititz was a friendlier place. We live out in the country with no close neighbors (South of Brickerville) so we have little contact with any of our neighbors. We have all their phone numbers in case of an emergency and we all wave to each other as we drive by, and might stop to talk once every month or more but that is it. It is so different than living in a development where every one sees their neighbors every day. My husband helped out with the local fire company so we got to know some of the locals that way when we first moved here (15 yrs ago). I hope you can find some local organziation to join so you and your wife can meet people. I certainly would not like neighbors who "scatter" when you approach them. It sounds like they have the problems not you. Maybe, as someone else suggested, you could start your own "new to the area" club. If you are having these problems, I am sure you are not alone and other people might welcome the chance to get to know their neighbors. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Lancaster County, PA
1,742 posts, read 4,341,008 times
Reputation: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayee View Post
WOW, that is awful! I would have thought Lititz was a friendlier place. We live out in the country with no close neighbors (South of Brickerville) so we have little contact with any of our neighbors. We have all their phone numbers in case of an emergency and we all wave to each other as we drive by, and might stop to talk once every month or more but that is it. It is so different than living in a development where every one sees their neighbors every day. My husband helped out with the local fire company so we got to know some of the locals that way when we first moved here (15 yrs ago). I hope you can find some local organziation to join so you and your wife can meet people. I certainly would not like neighbors who "scatter" when you approach them. It sounds like they have the problems not you. Maybe, as someone else suggested, you could start your own "new to the area" club. If you are having these problems, I am sure you are not alone and other people might welcome the chance to get to know their neighbors. Good luck to you.

Believe it or not, I thought of joining the Fire Department but was told they can be like others here. I have a neighbor who runs with another town's FD because even our FD has "outsider" issues (he's from Perry County). Here's a guy willing to put his life on the line for the community and he's still treated poorly.

I don't know if the "new residents" thing would work as long as there is so much resistance here. Again, it's not about "change"; it's about "improving".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top