Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:05 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Lancaster is a half million metro area bordering the Northeast Corridor. It's only rural if you spent your whole life in NYC or inner NJ and come out for the weekend to spend money in the outlets. Folks in real rural PA laugh at the thought of "rural" Lancaster.

The numerous folks who moved in from other areas, then complain on here, are talking about attitudes of long time residents in the suburban areas, not in the vanishing farmland.
I think you nailed it, ki0eh. Residents in Lititz and other developed towns apparently feel that, since the population of their town has increased, that their town is very desirable to others and that they should look upon as someone who should be envied by others. So, I guess after a while of being "worshipped", they feel they've become better then residents from other areas, especially those not from the county.

I've found that the town draws the people here but the residents chase them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 10:35 PM

18 posts, read 58,384 times
Attitudes are definitely cold and rude for a city this size. There is an attitude of superiority that cannot in any way be validated. They shield their ignorance with religious righteousness.

Amish and Mennonite background people who are descendant of multiple generations of their own brothers and sisters had intercourse each other's family members for decades to stay in the clan and insulated from outsiders. Why do you see the same names everywhere??...Kreider, Stolttzfus, Brubaker, etc. Families screwing one another into inbred ignorance and believing they are better than any outsider with a different idea. Why is there the "Amish Research Center" in Greenfield Corporate Center? Inbreeding is known to cause genetic defects and abnormalities.

Lancaster is a prime example in its warped culture. Refute this PLEASE!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:03 PM

13 posts, read 31,290 times
I've lived in Lancaster my entire life. I grew up in New Holland and just recently bought a home outside the city. Besides the obvious reasons to live here (cost of living, slower pace, yada yada) here are some reasons I like where I'm at.

I'm 5 minutes away from the city, so I can go check out the shops and craft/market days any time I please.

It's such a great location because I'm close to everything. The mall, outlets, plenty of restaurants, bars, parks, etc.

I have great neighbors.

Diversity is a huge deal to me. Parts of Lancaster County are extremely racist. I like being around different cultures, backgrounds, and nationalities.

I like the life in Lancaster without the crazy, hectic atmosphere that most cities have.

Also, the history in Lancaster County is amazing if you take the time to learn about it.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:39 PM

I'm guessing that's why you stay. You are a native...so there are no raised eyebrows at you. On the surface this place has a good life to offer...scratch below and you will find it much different if you have experienced other cultures. If you are married with soccer kids, you have a much better assimilation experience as this seems to be a prerequisite...

Old 02-09-2010, 05:19 PM

13 posts, read 31,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schultzykins View Post
I'm guessing that's why you stay. You are a native...so there are no raised eyebrows at you. On the surface this place has a good life to offer...scratch below and you will find it much different if you have experienced other cultures. If you are married with soccer kids, you have a much better assimilation experience as this seems to be a prerequisite...
Actually, I can't wait to get out. I need different culture and more diversity in my life. Being in an interracial relationship makes things tough around here. I'm sure you know how conservative it is in this area. I stay because my family is my life and I'd hate to leave them. When I have children, I'll be moving.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:07 PM

Now is the time to move...so your future kids can grow up up in an environment that accepts them.

Not this German Amish - mennnonite, horse-abusing, puppy killing, cesspool culture...phony as can be...they break the rules to get around the THEIR rules. Bull**** culture. PHONIES!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:05 PM

167 posts, read 354,160 times
Quote:
Now is the time to move...so your future kids can grow up up in an environment that accepts them.

Not this German Amish - mennnonite, horse-abusing, puppy killing, cesspool culture...phony as can be...they break the rules to get around the THEIR rules. Bull**** culture. PHONIES!

You act as if we're all Amish or Mennonites. That's far from the truth. Lancaster county has the most scenic farmland in PA. Alot of good people who help each other out too. My next door neighbors are a bi-racial couple and they love it here. They don't have problems with prejudice, nor do I see bigotry very often. Schultzykins, I think you're the real bigot here.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:26 PM

209 posts, read 606,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtm84 View Post
Crime is really bad in Lancaster and Lebanon counties. Often, NYC gangs come down to that neck of the woods with lots of drug activity.

If I were you, I'd move to Scranton. I've heard that is one of the better places to live in PA.

Some people would like to hear the truth about where they are moving to.
Um....I would say listen to the first post. Scranton??? Over Lancaster??? I don't think so. There is crime anywhere that people live.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:28 PM

209 posts, read 606,972 times
Quote:
Attitudes are definitely cold and rude for a city this size. There is an attitude of superiority that cannot in any way be validated. They shield their ignorance with religious righteousness.

Amish and Mennonite background people who are descendant of multiple generations of their own brothers and sisters had intercourse each other's family members for decades to stay in the clan and insulated from outsiders. Why do you see the same names everywhere??...Kreider, Stolttzfus, Brubaker, etc. Families screwing one another into inbred ignorance and believing they are better than any outsider with a different idea. Why is there the "Amish Research Center" in Greenfield Corporate Center? Inbreeding is known to cause genetic defects and abnormalities.

Lancaster is a prime example in its warped culture. Refute this PLEASE!
Yikes. I am born and raised PAen who's not particularly fond of PA in general...but you are way over the top. Please at least try to be objective.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:33 PM

Blackbear,

Hunting, horses, and Jesus Christ!!!...do you think Jesus approves of our human manipulation of the environment and animals??? You are a phony in the Lord's eyes. Justify all your desires to kill because you ignore stewardship and proper treatment of our fellow creatures.It's FUN TO SHOOT ANIMALS FOR TROPHIES...not for food (do not bull**** the truth)...JESUS????

Just another podunk redneck without REAL justification for your words.

Open the New Testament and stop justifying...
Press ENTER to look up in Wiktionary or CTRL+ENTER to look up in Wikipedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania