Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2010, 04:46 AM
 
1 posts, read 3,107 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Yea the give me, give me ready to sue at a drop of a hat, "contribute nothing" to the community but violence and drup sales from NY and Philly have found a nice nook here in Lancaster County. It is a shame b/c there are alot of good hard working hispanics here. Unfortunately there are more dead beets than good. I have noticed the crime rate (violent) rising over the last 5 years especially. Solution....cut the welfare programs, and they'll move back to where ever they came from. Kinda like the birdfeeder in the back yard that attracts all birds good and bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2010, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Philly
10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice Hobbs View Post
Yea the give me, give me ready to sue at a drop of a hat, "contribute nothing" to the community but violence and drup sales from NY and Philly have found a nice nook here in Lancaster County. It is a shame b/c there are alot of good hard working hispanics here. Unfortunately there are more dead beets than good. I have noticed the crime rate (violent) rising over the last 5 years especially. Solution....cut the welfare programs, and they'll move back to where ever they came from. Kinda like the birdfeeder in the back yard that attracts all birds good and bad.
OTOH, crime in lancaster city seems down. at this point, most hispanics are probably from lancaster, not somewhere else. most are descendants of puerto ricans who moved to lancaster city for factory work, just as the factories were shutting down and moving overseas. at the same time, whites fled, the money was gone, and schools got worse, and the drug war caused a spike in violence nationwide. if you think that puerto ricans will move back to puerto rico, one should know there are more people of puerto rican descent in the us than on the island, which means there simply isn't room for them on the island...not to mention there is no work there either, the island's productive capacities having been similarly destroyed and the welfare spigot run dry. if you simply sit in your house spouting off about hispanics and wishing them away, you are not facing reality.

A decline in crime - LancasterOnline.com Editorial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2010, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Where I've always wanted to be
279 posts, read 485,752 times
Reputation: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okhotneek View Post
They will seem rude, snotty, immature and lazy. They will use their religion to prove to themselves that they are better than you. You will always be an outsider and most natives probably won't even acknowledge that you exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
I won't attempt to compare Lancaster County to any other place I've lived or visited, since I pretty much knew what I was getting into when we moved here five years ago. All I know is the people in Lititz. We researched EVERYTHING expect for the people, which is basically impossible to do. I didn't even know that this forum existed. If I did I would not have moved here. The natives here have a keen sense of knowing within seconds of meeting you whether or not you're born & raised here and if you're not, prepare for the cold shoulder. I thought living in a melting pot like our development that the people would be nicer, since most don't have families nearby and it's nice to have someone to talk to. WRONG! The few natives that live here pick their little teams and the others are pushed aside permantly. Whatever you do or say is wrong. They focus their life on self gratification and indulge the kids constantly. They can do no wrong. If you say anything about Junior riding his bike on your new garden you're considered to be mean and territorial. So you put up with barking dogs at
5am, hot bottle rockets lying on your shingles, etc. We've tried and tried but we're still ignored. Race or religion has no bearing here; we're white and practicing Catholics. Don't even get me started on our church community. Again, the only time our wonderful neighbors know we exist is when they need something. I can tolerate traffic, horrible odors, and bugs but I can't deal with the ignorance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
The Mennonites that I've met are friendly; the Amish are more reserved. I don't know if a person's religion has much to do with the way they treat others. I'm a member of the local Catholic church and they are the biggest group of phonies I've ever met. During Mass they act like we're all brothers and sisters but the second the Mass ends they go into their little groups and ignore everyone else.
I'm originally from northcentral PA. I've been in Lancaster county (living outside of and working in Lancaster city) for 10 years now. My husband is a native of 46 years. He used to love it here. Now, we can't get out soon enough. All of the above is exactly what I have witnessed here since day one.

The church examples really got me because that happened to my husband and I a few years ago. As newcomers to the church (been Catholic all of our lives but I guess even that didn't matter because we were just not part of "their" elite congregation), we tried so desperately to fit in and be a part of things, and were completely blown off. The last straw was when we tried to volunteer for one of their annual street carnivals... one in which I personally wrote our names down and signed us up for... where we showed up at the carnival on our scheduled day and time and were basically told to go home because they "couldnt' find our names on the volunteer list."

About two months after our daughter was born, we had her baptized and stopped going.

I cannot WAIT to get out of this area. It's overpopulated and overpriced with rude, obnoxious, self-proclaimed elite people who don't have the time of day for you if you're a "newbie."

If we have it our way, we'll be out within a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2010, 07:46 AM
 
9 posts, read 55,383 times
Reputation: 43
Can't believe the baggin' on Lancaster in this forum.

Let me tick the boxes where I should be on the "outs" because of who I am.

(x) Outsider--from Washington State, moved to PA 5 years ago.
(x) Interracial marriage--wife is Tlingit (Alaska Native), brown and beautiful
(x) Not Amish, Mennonite, Bretheren or even Catholic or Methodist

So I don't belong to the majority culture. Yet Litiz has been more than welcoming to my family. My wife has been graciously treated in her workplace and our neighbors have been kind (and the ones with kids same ages as ours have become friends). Our kids stay at their houses, their kids stay at ours, we've formed a pretty tight circle of trust. One of them is Amish-born, one family is mainline protestant, ours is LDS and we've been accepted magnanimously.

You will find it's harder to get into the "club" among these Germans! It's a culture thing, and I imagine many of the angry posters have little patience for it. But folks, people are people and no group has any more or less love to give than any other group. If you are willing to love them enough to learn their ways and join them on their terms, you can be accepted pretty much anywhere. If you won't be accepted on any terms but your own, your self-centeredness will make you bitter and alone.

Leaving the place where you live, you'll just find another bunch of people whose shortcomings you despise.

How about a little love for others? It will go a long way for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2010, 08:07 AM
 
28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Reputation: 16665
Does this attitude prevail in the city of Lancaster?

I have been asking around on CD in different areas about QOL, schools, crimes, etc in each respective area because my husband is job hunting. If he cannot find anything where we are from (Wilkes-Barre Area) we will have to move.

I wouldn't consider the suburbs of Lancaster anyway because we prefer urban living, but would an Agnostic nuclear family with a stay at home mom, working dad and two young children fit in in the city? If so, where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2010, 10:18 PM
 
28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Reputation: 16665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Does this attitude prevail in the city of Lancaster?

I have been asking around on CD in different areas about QOL, schools, crimes, etc in each respective area because my husband is job hunting. If he cannot find anything where we are from (Wilkes-Barre Area) we will have to move.

I wouldn't consider the suburbs of Lancaster anyway because we prefer urban living, but would an Agnostic nuclear family with a stay at home mom, working dad and two young children fit in in the city? If so, where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2010, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Where I've always wanted to be
279 posts, read 485,752 times
Reputation: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by PASeahawk View Post
How about a little love for others? It will go a long way for you.
Hey, I'm all for that way of thinking. Preach it. If only everyone lived that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 11:22 AM
 
35 posts, read 108,851 times
Reputation: 32
I'm another outsider who thinks Lancaster is quite possibly one of the worst places in the US to relocate. I've lived in NJ, PA, IN, and IL and my 2.5 years here have been some of the most nightmarish experiences I've ever had. Our neighbors almost never speak to us unless it's to complain about something. Local organizations aren't interested in your personal involvement, they just want your money. We have tried every way possible to meet people, and will be leaving having made no friends at all.

I will also mention that some local realtors and appraisers are as corrupt as they come. They could teach people in NJ and Chicago a thing or two!! I cannot wait to get out of here, my husband has already moved and I'm hoping to join him in the next few months once we buy a house in the midwest.

DO NOT MOVE TO LANCASTER WHATEVER YOU DO!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Lancaster County, PA
1,742 posts, read 4,340,622 times
Reputation: 838
Sounds you have it all figured out, Hobbs. Every person coming in to Lancaster County from Philly and NY are wearing AK-47's and carrying bags of drugs to sell to the children. The same people like to take walks through the town and throw themselves on the sidewalk so they can sue the owners of the property. Maybe you can set up guard at the closest county border to where you exist and screen everyone attempting to enter. Weed out the undesireables before they cross.

Here's a better idea: KNOW THE FACTS BEFORE YOU POST!

FACT: 93% of the crime that occured in your beloved Lancaster County are committed by those who grew up here. The dozens of those arrested that our firm has represented were born in the county that they committed their crime in. The drug dealers operating in Philly and NY are thriving in their own backyard; they don't need to waste gas by taking a 2-3 hour ride down the Turnpike to sell their products here. Most of the drugs coming in to the county are from Reading.

FACT: The crime rate is down in Lancaster County. And, by the way, two of the worse crimes that have ever been committed in Lancaster County were committed by teens who were born and raised here.

FACT: Most of the people moving into Lancaster County are doing so because they have jobs waiting for them. They don't need welfare or assistance from the taxpayers. My wife and I have worked steady since we moved here and have paid thousands of dollars in taxes. Even my kids have worked since they became of legal age.


PASEAHAWK: I'm glad you and your family are doing well here. However, I take issue with your "self-centered" comment. We came here with an open mind, willing to "go with the flow". We felt it would be great to get involved with community and church functions so we could grow and learn about the county and its residents, but that didn't happen. We have "Philadelphian" written somewhere on our bodies so we've been rebuffed in our attempts to participate in various activities and have basically been ignored by our neighbors. What's worse is the manner in which our children have been treated. Since they're not into sports, pre-marital sex and won't attend Penn State they don't fit in very well.

Here's some advice to those considering moving to Lititz from another county: DON'T DO IT! you have a better chance of having a Genie appear and granting you three wishes then you do having your neighbor say hello to you.

Last edited by lititzman2003; 11-08-2010 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2010, 05:24 AM
 
35 posts, read 108,851 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post

PASEAHAWK: I'm glad you and your family are doing well here. However, I take issue with your "self-centered" comment. We came here with an open mind, willing to "go with the flow". We felt it would be great to get involved with community and church functions so we could grow and learn about the county and its residents, but that didn't happen. We have "Philadelphian" written somewhere on our bodies so we've been rebuffed in our attempts to participate in various activities and have basically been ignored by our neighbors. What's worse is the manner in which our children have been treated. Since they're not into sports, pre-marital sex and won't attend Penn State they don't fit in very well.

Here's some advice to those considering moving to Lititz from another county: DON'T DO IT! you have a better chance of having a Genie appear and granting you three wishes then you do having your neighbor say hello to you.
I really couldn't agree more with LititzMan. When my husband and I moved here, we wanted nothing more than to be a part of the community and find a permanent home (we have moved A LOT for his work). We did almost everything we could think of to fit in/meet people - we volunteered, joined a church (a must in Lancaster), attended local cultural events, etc. And we were repaid with neighbors who tried to get us kicked out of our development because they are afraid of our dog (who they've only seen from afar), people who confronted us in a restaurant over a political button I had on my purse, a church where we are solicited constantly for contributions and volunteerism, but never included in the committee memberships, and on and on. Sadly we made the bad decision to try and buy a house here and make it work, and for that we found ourselves thrust into the corrupt world of local real estate agents and appraisers who had no problem trying to screw the outsiders by manipulating an appraisal to make the home we were going to buy appear to be worth tens of thousands of dollars more than it actually was. (Thankfully our credit union - located OUTSIDE of the county - put the kibosh on that, although the lawsuit drags on). I'm glad for the people who have had a nice experience here, but I think more people than not who have moved here from other areas would say it is not worth the heartache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:27 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top