Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:09 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,340,622 times

Advertisements

To add to all of this, a neighbor of ours told my daughter last night that we're selfish people because we didn't give out candy this past Halloween! Up to this year we did but due to the fact that my mother-in-law recently passed away we have been going back to Philly every weekend to help my in-laws clear out her house. We even told our next-door neighbor this AND she agreed to distribute our share of the candy with the kids AND told the parents where the extra candy was coming from. I guess, since we weren't there to hand it out ourselves the true feeling wasn't there. Maybe if the township allowed the kids to go out on the 31st instead of the 29th we could have done it ourselves.

It never fails to amaze me the blatant ignorance and immaturity these people display. I guess I better start putting up Christmas decorations now so that my neighbors can feel all warm and fuzzy by Thanksgiving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,766 times
Not sure where these inbred, Amish comments are coming from seeing as how the only time I see Amish is when they're blocking my lane on King street.

I'm sorry some of you guys chose to live in cities other than Lancaster City, it's becoming a pretty bumping place. Crime really isn't that bad. I walk around at night and have never ran into any problems.

Also we're pretty cultured. Stop on Gallery Row for First Friday, and you'll see a side of Lancaster people have failed to mention here.

Lifetime resident, 20 years old, attend a university in New York. Lived in downtown Lancaster all my life (excluding time at college) and still love coming back.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,394 times
Sorry to bring up a old topic but i just found all of this intresting.

I currently live in West Yorkshire in the U.K and i am planning to relocate to Lancaster PA with my family ( my fiance and 3 children aged 4, 9 and 13 at the min )

I read a bit further back about if you have a child with special needs you wouldn't be spoken to and things. Well I have a child who has special needs ( shes autistic and has selective mutism ) also i myself is hard of hearing.

I was thinking of moving my business from the UK to Lancaster but now reading this i'm not so sure.

The place i live now is full of diversity as well a people don't really talk much ( lived in the house i'm in now for the last 8 years and rarely speak to my neighbour's except to say hello )

I'm just finishing off my university degree so i have a backup should my business not succeed. However i do have my best friend, her other half and her 4 children also coming with me and another one of my friends with his wife and 2 children are also thinking of coming with us too.
Also what is Conestoga like as well as Penn Manor school district as i have been told that would be the school my children would be attending.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:52 PM

47 posts, read 77,061 times
I graduated from Penn Manor within the past 5-10 years so I will try and provide you with as much information as I can. Penn Manor school district can be broken up into two sections north and south. The northern side of the district is generally more diverse and populated, which in some areas means a bit of traffic especially around rush hour. The northern side is also closer to shopping centers and other services. The southern side of the district is fairly rural and bucolic with rolling farmland and patches of woods especially along the Susquehanna River. There are many beautiful properties owned by the Lancaster County Conservation Society that offer wonderful opportunities to hike and enjoy the outdoors.

Penn Manor school district is a decent district academically speaking, but it generally is not considered the best in Lancaster County. Many people who live in the area consider either Manheim Township or Hempfield school district to be the best not only academically, but also athletically speaking. Penn Manor though is still in the top tier when discussing the better school districts in the county. It has won state athletic championship in baseball, girls soccer, and field hockey and additionally county level academic championships (known as Quiz Bowl and Rocket Club won an international competition). I believe the head coach of the boys soccer team is from the UK unless he moved. The district does have a special needs program for students. When I went to Penn Manor, there were a couple of autistic students and to my knowledge they were treated with respect not only by faculty members, but also by the students. Overall, my experience at Penn Manor was a good one.

Conestoga is in the middle of the school district and is a small town that is mostly surrounded by farms. It has a few businesses, the main one being the Conestoga Wagon. The Wagon, which is what the locals call it, is a restaurant/general store/gas station. They serve a pretty good breakfast as well as dinner. Just over the hill is the town museum and the community pool. The town has its own elementary school off of main street and next to the pool. Depending on where you live in Conestoga it might take about 15 to 25 minutes to get to the city and longer to points north and east where most of the restaurants and shops are located, although there are grocery stores located in Willow Street (10 minutes east) and Millersville (10 minutes north). Conestoga is a safe area, but it lacks diversity and many of the families in the area have been living there since their ancestors settled the area.

Good luck on your search and feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions about the area.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:57 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
saxons is right

Old 09-02-2013, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,394 times
Thanks Mville1.
We are currently thinking of opening an equestrian centre/Livery yard ( not sure if its named different in the states compaired to the UK ) and i have my eyes on a property in Conestoga at the min too. It was just where a few people in this post said that people were rude and stuff i didn't really want to be around more rude people as i've had to deal with enough of them really .

Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 AM

47 posts, read 77,061 times
Well unfortunately rude people live everywhere so I can not guarantee that you won't encounter them here. With that being said I would consider most Lancastrians as either reserved or polite. I think some of the resentment or hostility that a small minority of locals show towards outsiders is well first off unfortunate and stems from the tremendous growth this county has seen in the last 20-25 years. The Lancaster county of today certainly is not what it was 25 years ago especially in the north central part of the county where some of the complaints originated from. A lot of open farmland in that area of the county has been gobbled up by strip malls and sprawling housing developments, which has resulted in an increase in traffic, property taxes, and other issues. So naturally people look for scapegoats and unfortunately outsiders get blamed for a problem they did not create.

Like I said before, the overwhelming majority of Lancastrians are either polite or reserved. Most of my family is not even from Pennsylvania and I have never heard them complain about being alienated because they were not born here.

Most people here would say Stables or Equestrian Center. Either one is acceptable.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:15 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
Bee's Knees Bakery opens in Lancaster - Business

Old 07-24-2015, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,373 times
I have lived in Lancaster all my life and I hate it here. First of all, the people. Everyone is extremely closed-minded. If you're not a straight white Republican Christian, this is not the place for you. Everyone is either Amish or Mennonite or so conservative that you'd think they'd be one of the two. A girl at my work has to hide the fact that she lives with her boyfriend because they would fire her if they found out. It's like being stuck in the 1950s, every family has to pretend to be picture perfect because Judy across the street would have an aneurysm if she found out your kids are growing pot in the shed. Things are too expensive, we have lived in a 200k house for 20 years and could maybe get 40k if we sell it now. They tax you to absolute death. There are plenty of families living here raising their children, but I can tell you from experience, growing up here sucks. If you want your kids to grow and learn about the world, this is not the place for you. There's nothing to do, nowhere to go. Even if there was, you'd blow out a tire from how terrible the roads are. Don't even get me started on the roads in winter. The schools are okay, but the 'best' ones are so interested in keeping their label as a 'good' school that half of the kids want to commit suicide. The schools and lack of things to do are reasons why so many people are into drugs around here. If you want to get into any sort of entertainment as a career, this is not the place for you. The air quality is pretty bad. The food here is all German/Dutch and Amish, which pretty much means disgusting. I've never seen anyone anywhere else on the planet buy and eat more 'scrapple'. People will eat anything here. Overall, I can't think of a place that I hate more than Lancaster, Pennsylvania. But I don't want to end this on a negative note. We do have Wilbur Buds, which are pretty darn good. But not good enough to make me stay here for a second longer than I have to.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:55 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,708,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyonedreams View Post
I have lived in Lancaster all my life and I hate it here. First of all, the people. Everyone is extremely closed-minded. If you're not a straight white Republican Christian, this is not the place for you. Everyone is either Amish or Mennonite or so conservative that you'd think they'd be one of the two. A girl at my work has to hide the fact that she lives with her boyfriend because they would fire her if they found out. It's like being stuck in the 1950s, every family has to pretend to be picture perfect because Judy across the street would have an aneurysm if she found out your kids are growing pot in the shed. Things are too expensive, we have lived in a 200k house for 20 years and could maybe get 40k if we sell it now. They tax you to absolute death. There are plenty of families living here raising their children, but I can tell you from experience, growing up here sucks. If you want your kids to grow and learn about the world, this is not the place for you. There's nothing to do, nowhere to go. Even if there was, you'd blow out a tire from how terrible the roads are. Don't even get me started on the roads in winter. The schools are okay, but the 'best' ones are so interested in keeping their label as a 'good' school that half of the kids want to commit suicide. The schools and lack of things to do are reasons why so many people are into drugs around here. If you want to get into any sort of entertainment as a career, this is not the place for you. The air quality is pretty bad. The food here is all German/Dutch and Amish, which pretty much means disgusting. I've never seen anyone anywhere else on the planet buy and eat more 'scrapple'. People will eat anything here. Overall, I can't think of a place that I hate more than Lancaster, Pennsylvania. But I don't want to end this on a negative note. We do have Wilbur Buds, which are pretty darn good. But not good enough to make me stay here for a second longer than I have to.
The BS meter is buzzing loudly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania