Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:33 PM

246 posts, read 1,247,893 times

Advertisements

Does any one have any information on Johnstown?...thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2006, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 21,100 times
Default The Friendly City!!

Since I am not sure what type of info you are looking for, I will be general. Johnstown is a low crime, low polution, beautiful place to live. The city itself is mainly full of old buildings with many older people living in tight community settings. The outer suburbs vary in income status. Overall, the job outlook is not very good unless you are in the medical field or in goverment contracting. I grew up in this area and have traveled because of military. There is no other place I would like to live. The people are friendly and would you help at a drop of the hat. Plus, the cost of living is unbelievable! You just have to get the right job! Our sense of community, no matter where you live around Johnstown, is very strong. It is rich in history and the people are hard working. There are many colleges and the local schools are very good. Sports is huge here and Steelers rule for most fans. Summers range from 75-85 degrees with the winters being cruel at times because we live in the mountains. I hope this helps.
Email me if you have any specific questions and I'll be happy to help you!

Old 08-23-2006, 09:53 PM

15 posts, read 66,128 times
Default More info, Please!

I just found this thread, and I hope you are still interested in responding!

Johnstown is one of the towns that I am researching for a move next summer and I would really appreciate more info.

Are there any problems with gangs moving in? I noticed a big meeting about gangs was held there a while ago(I don't remember when!), but does that mean there are gangs there, or was it just the site for the meeting?

I have elementary and middle school age kids, so are the schools good?

My husband is a fantasy writer, so are the locals accepting of "eccentrics"? I have lived in small towns, and sometimes some of the old timers are pretty judgemental about appearance, and won't even get to know you. (Not that he's really that odd! He just has a pony tail) I want to fit in to the community, not be thought of as that weird new family.

Is the economy really depressed, or just rural? I like farming communities, so I don't mind a slower pace. On the other hand, a dying town doesn't sound like a good future for my kids.

Are the winters well dealt with? Are the roads cleared quickly, or do you end up sitting at home eating canned goods? What are the typical heating options: oil, wood stoves, gas, or electric?

What are PA's car registration costs? Really costly, or reasonable? How is the cost of living other than real estate, which I see is nice and low?

Sorry!! lots of questions so please answer whichever interests you!!

Old 08-24-2006, 01:22 AM
RCL

123 posts, read 680,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Jean View Post
I just found this thread, and I hope you are still interested in responding!

Johnstown is one of the towns that I am researching for a move next summer and I would really appreciate more info.

Are there any problems with gangs moving in? I noticed a big meeting about gangs was held there a while ago(I don't remember when!), but does that mean there are gangs there, or was it just the site for the meeting?

I have elementary and middle school age kids, so are the schools good?

My husband is a fantasy writer, so are the locals accepting of "eccentrics"? I have lived in small towns, and sometimes some of the old timers are pretty judgemental about appearance, and won't even get to know you. (Not that he's really that odd! He just has a pony tail) I want to fit in to the community, not be thought of as that weird new family.

Is the economy really depressed, or just rural? I like farming communities, so I don't mind a slower pace. On the other hand, a dying town doesn't sound like a good future for my kids.

Are the winters well dealt with? Are the roads cleared quickly, or do you end up sitting at home eating canned goods? What are the typical heating options: oil, wood stoves, gas, or electric?

What are PA's car registration costs? Really costly, or reasonable? How is the cost of living other than real estate, which I see is nice and low?

Sorry!! lots of questions so please answer whichever interests you!!

I don't live in PA but have been looking into moving there. But I can share a bit of my research on a couple of points and hope it helps.

I agree with you, the low property costs are nice, but I've found that property taxes in PA are through the roof. And you don't necessarily get that much in return for your tax dollar.

Also, regarding crime: On sperling's site that lists crime statistics, I have noticed a disparity in the sperling statistics vs. what people actually have to say about a place on this forum and others I've read. Sperling may have a place listed as a low crime statistic, but then I get word from someone who lives in a place or near it that crime is "terrible", things are "declining" and it's becoming "unlivable".

Now that would be helpful to me, but the info about the crime from both sources (people who live in a place and sperlings website) is also somewhat vague. Neither source (sperling or internet posters at large) actually tells you what kind of crime you are dealing with.

OK so I realize that everyone's perception of crime may be different. Some people think that a few occurrences of graffiti and one or two windows broken on a saturday night by a handful of kids constitutes a horrible crime epidemic. They may read in their local paper about a drug bust and read that one of the accomplices lived in their town. This may mean the beginning of the end in their mind.

However, coming from CA, my perspective is of course a little different (as probably would be someone from NY, Miami, Chicago, Phoenix, Flint, etc). My idea of a high crime rate is muggings at gunpoint/knifepoint, carjackings, burglaries, purse snatching, car breakins, drive by shootings, and crackhouses and/or prostitution on your same block (to name a few). You know, having to walk down the street with eyes in the back of your head. Hey, I'm used to sitting on the back porch during the summer and hearing the gunfire from the neighborhin ghetto. I helped a neighbor patch his roof from a stray bullet one time.

So...for me, anything less crime than what I've mentioned above is just pure gravy as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry I can't give you the full perspective you are asking for, but I hope this information helps you in your research, even if only a little. Best wishes to you!

Old 11-19-2006, 12:36 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,082,740 times
I have been researching Johnstown and they have alot of nice affordable homes. How does the crime compare to the national average? Are there any bad areas/neighboorhoods in Johnstown to worry about? Because if not, great! I can get a very cheap house there!

Old 11-19-2006, 04:47 AM

Is it true Johnstown has higher than national average crime? I found Franklin, PA which isnt far off(30 miles? 50 miles?) its a big town of 7000 with very low crime. What other good quiet towns do you know in PA?

Old 11-19-2006, 06:35 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,377 times
oil city,waterford,conneaut lake,saegertown,millvillage
millvillage and waterford are outside of erie. Conneaut lake and meadville are outside of meadville.

//www.city-data.com/city/Connea...nsylvania.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Waterf...nsylvania.html

Here you can check them out by population
//www.city-data.com/city/Pennsylvania.html

Old 11-19-2006, 10:08 AM

59 posts, read 311,939 times
In NW pennsylvania, I always enjoyed my drives through Cambridge Springs(halfway between Erie and Meadville). It's a quiet, rural town of about 3,000. It is home to FCI:Cambridge Springs, but by no means does that mean there is violent crime because of the prison, I believe its one of those "you're about to be released, so we're going to put you in this minimum security place in the middle of nowhere." The prison is on the site of the former college of the Polish National Alliance, Alliance college. There were some great times in the spa when that place was around...there are still profs and coaches and alums from the school in the area. Cambridge Springs Area school district is a fine district.If you are looking for private education, Villa Maria High, Mercyhurst Prep or Cathedral Prep( "The Prep.") are all located in Erie. I've never talked to anyone about French Creek Valley Christian in Saegertown, but I would assume its a good place...

Johnstown is a beautiful city, I always enjoyed my trips there, never any problems with the locals, very kind people, they value community and their kids above all else, perhaps because they see the children as the future of Johnstown. I think Johnstown has had some more trouble bouncing back because it was a one horse town for so many years. The city relied on their steel mills to employ probably 50% of the town, and now that there are a handful left, operating on a small scale, the town is now forced to diversify its economy and is slowly starting to do so, and is slowly, and painfully giving up the idea that, "OH the steel will call me back and things will be great again." It's a hard working city, where there are still a lot of blue collar workers, but its medical and government services are growing. I think they have some big downtown research complex planned for the next few years.

There are a bunch of tiny towns in the coal region which I fell in love with on my visits, such as Nanticoke, Mount Carmel, Shenandoah, Pottsville..All cool places. They're a bit depressed like Johnstown, see above, "the mines will reopen and we'll be set again." But they value community highly and children as well.

One last note: In I'd say 95% of pennsylvania, high school sports is huge. If you don't like going down to the football stadium on fridays in the fall or to the basketball gym during the winter, you can be set up for a very long life in these smaller towns. Johnstown has a little more to do, but high school sports are still #1 from what I've witnessed.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:21 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,377 times
Funny you say cambridge springs,that is the town I lived in. When the prison went in people were upset.
SCI Cambridge Springs (Crawford County), opened in 1992, was formerly the Polish National Alliance College before being purchased by the Commonwealth in 1990. The campus was converted into a minimum-security facility for women, the majority of whom are nearing their release from prison.

I like cambridge springs but my ex husband lives there so I will not.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
oil city,waterford,conneaut lake,saegertown,millvillage
millvillage and waterford are outside of erie. Conneaut lake and meadville are outside of meadville.

//www.city-data.com/city/Connea...nsylvania.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Waterf...nsylvania.html

Here you can check them out by population
//www.city-data.com/city/Pennsylvania.html

The prices in waterford are not good. Ill pass that. Conneaut lake is a little cheaper but I dont like the houses, they are simple and small. None of the cities you suggested interest me, the prices arent very good. Oil city and Franklin do have good prices and reasonably low crime, only problem is they get cold and snow alot! Johnstown is a nice city but I searched for crime and its elevated. Id rather live in Oil city or Franklin than Johnstown as safety comes first. Positive reputation for you for participation

In Cambridge Springs, why are houses so expensive for a small town? Houses are considerably cheaper in Oil city and its neighboor, Franklin(8 miles away)
Nanticoke isnt too bad, a little more expensive than the above two mentioned small cities though. Mount Carmel is reasonably priced but the houses are touching each other and are like townhouses. I want a detached house with some space! Johnstown has that! I dont care for sports but as long as theres shopping and nature stuff like fishing and hiking, im fine. Ill probably be inside on the computer all day anyway working on my business, posting here or playing a game

Anyone know of affordable towns/cities like Johnstown, Franklin and Oil city? By affordable, I mean houses priced between $10,000 for smaller ones to $50,000 for nice big ones. Let me show you what I mean.

http://homepics.realtor.com/image9/http/alleghenyvalley/listings/large/040/134298.jpg (broken link)

This house is $16,000 for 3 Bed, 1 Bath 1,846 Sq. Ft. and 0.17 Acres.
Why should I pay more? I see no problem with that house in Oil city. Ok so its in a small city of 11k with a depressed economy(doesnt matter for me) and it snows alot(prefer a slightly milder climate but if thats the only "problem" ill deal with it) Its a low crime area, right? The whole of Oil city is low crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania