Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Approve of the Creation of a New Sub-Forum For South Central Pennsylvania?
Yes (Why?) 60 86.96%
No (Why?) 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:42 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Hello again my fellow Pennsylvanians!

As we all eagerly anticipate the opportunity to get out and vote next week for the next leader of the free world I thought it would be a good idea to let you all practice by voting on as to whether or not you think we're nearing the time when the creation of a sub-forum for South Central Pennsylvania's eight most cohesive counties is warranted.

Here is a map, courtesy of PennDOT, of the area in question:

This region comprises eight counties and is home to the principal cities of Harrisburg, Hershey, Lebanon, Lancaster, York, Hanover, Gettysburg, Carlisle, and Chambersburg.

The population of this area continues to mushroom, as evidenced below, which indicates that relocation interest here remains steady:

Adams County
2000 Population: 91,292
2007 Population: 100,779
Change 2000-2007: +9,487
Cumberland County
2000 Population: 213,674
2007 Population: 228,019
Change 2000-2007: +14,345
Dauphin County
2000 Population: 251,798
2007 Population: 255,710
Change 2000-2007: +3,912
Franklin County
2000 Population: 129,313
2007 Population: 141,665
Change 2000-2007: +12,352
Lancaster County
2000 Population: 470,658
2007 Population: 498,465
Change 2000-2007: +27,807
Lebanon County
2000 Population: 120,327
2007 Population: 127,889
Change 2000-2007: +7,562
Perry County
2000 Population: 43,602
2007 Population: 45,163
Change 2000-2007: +1,561
York County
2000 Population: 381,751
2007 Population: 421,049
Change 2000-2007: +39,298

SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA
2000 Population: 1,702,415
2007 Population: 1,818,739
Change 2000-2007: +116,324

This area is growing as a relocation destination for many in search of inexpensive housing in a commutable range to Maryland. The state's capital city of Harrisburg continues to reinvent itself. If this sub-forum gets approved, I have already volunteered to compile a list of pertinent threads to be relocated into its jurisdictions from the regular PA forum and have nominated danwxman as moderator (if he should choose to accept, and if he should happen to be selected and approved by the powers-that-be).

What do others think? Yea or nay (and why?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 07:42 PM

149 posts, read 762,363 times
I agree. In fact, I never understood why it wasn't already a subforum. The area has quite a number of people as can be seen by this density map

But why only include those 8 counties, why not the 14 as listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Central_Pennsylvania

Old 10-28-2008, 08:31 AM

941 posts, read 3,911,021 times
I'm surprised Dauphin county was included. I always have viewed Harrisburg/Dauphin as Central Pennsylvania.

There may be a large number of residences in South-central PA, but it's still mergar when compared to the other areas of PA. York/Adams are considered bedroom communities of Baltimore, MD.

What's next, a sub-forum for North-central PA?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasape View Post
I agree. In fact, I never understood why it wasn't already a subforum. The area has quite a number of people as can be seen by this density map

But why only include those 8 counties, why not the 14 as listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Central_Pennsylvania
As a general rule of thumb the administrator doesn't like creating regional sub-forum as he feels as if it detracts from the whole essence of "City"-Data. After all, even though the majority of our nation now lives in the suburbs at one point cities were still important places in many people's eyes. It would be easier to "sell" this idea as an eight-county forum as opposed to a more massive 14-county one.

Also, I dispute a few of those counties. I think Northumberland County and Snyder County should both be included in the "Central Susquehanna Valley" area. Schuylkill County has always been considered part of either Northeastern Pennsylvania or the Coal Region. What do folks in Pottsville or McAdoo have in common with folks in Gettysburg, many, many miles away?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
I'm surprised Dauphin county was included. I always have viewed Harrisburg/Dauphin as Central Pennsylvania.

There may be a large number of residences in South-central PA, but it's still mergar when compared to the other areas of PA. York/Adams are considered bedroom communities of Baltimore, MD.

What's next, a sub-forum for North-central PA?
No. This is the last sub-forum I would propose for our state (at least for the long-distant future). Sub-forums are created based upon levels of activity. I pitched this idea in the past, and one or two people from Erie/NW PA flipped out on me for telling them that Erie/NW PA did NOT need its own sub-forum. They didn't seem to understand that when very, very few people are talking about Erie, then there's no reason to siphon its few threads out of the general state forum. On the contrary, the Harrisburg/Lancaster/York area and the areas along the U.S. Route 30, I-81, and I-83 corridors have been teeming with inquiries as of late.

The only dilemma I'm still having is what to do about Berks County/Reading. It doesn't belong with South Central PA. It doesn't belong with the Lehigh Valley. It doesn't belong with Philadelphia. It's surrounded by these three sub-forums but doesn't really claim allegiance to any. I suppose it would just have to stay independent as part of the general PA forum.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:07 AM

558 posts, read 1,835,292 times
Default Yes!!!

Born and raised in Lancaster County , I believe South Central PA is one of the best regions of the state. It offers so much (low cost of living, friendly people , low crime, great employment opportunities, excellent schools, state game lands, hunting, fishing, etc) to those looking for a decent place to relocate and raise a family.

It's a shame when the threads get buried in the general PA forum.

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 10-28-2008 at 10:23 AM..

Old 10-28-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
It's a shame when the threads get buried in the general PA forum.
This is why I'm making the proposal. It would be easier for those seeking advice about Harrisburg, Lancaster, and York to have this information available all in one spot, no?

Old 10-28-2008, 02:42 PM

941 posts, read 3,911,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
No. This is the last sub-forum I would propose for our state (at least for the long-distant future). Sub-forums are created based upon levels of activity. I pitched this idea in the past, and one or two people from Erie/NW PA flipped out on me for telling them that Erie/NW PA did NOT need its own sub-forum. They didn't seem to understand that when very, very few people are talking about Erie, then there's no reason to siphon its few threads out of the general state forum. On the contrary, the Harrisburg/Lancaster/York area and the areas along the U.S. Route 30, I-81, and I-83 corridors have been teeming with inquiries as of late.

The only dilemma I'm still having is what to do about Berks County/Reading. It doesn't belong with South Central PA. It doesn't belong with the Lehigh Valley. It doesn't belong with Philadelphia. It's surrounded by these three sub-forums but doesn't really claim allegiance to any. I suppose it would just have to stay independent as part of the general PA forum.
I've seen inquires about South-central PA, myself included, once a while; not as much as compared with the current sub-forums. York needs to rework itself. If it wasn't for the bedroom communities from Baltimore, and yes, from D.C. as well, south-central PA would be desolate like north-central PA.

Erie? Please. Erie is a bottomless pit...steel ain't comin' back to America anytime soon! I get this feeling Erie suburbs are a little better off than the city of Erie, but...Erie is still a depressed, ever-struggling county/area. Nobody wants to touch Erie. I haven't seen news about rescuing Erie..or eastern Ohio for that matter.

Oftentimes, Berks county gets included in the Philadelphia statistical reports. I suppose it's close enough to Philadelphia. But it's isolated enough to be its own metro area. Reading is just that. Reading area.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:37 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,619,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
I've seen inquires about South-central PA, myself included, once a while; not as much as compared with the current sub-forums. York needs to rework itself. If it wasn't for the bedroom communities from Baltimore, and yes, from D.C. as well, south-central PA would be desolate like north-central PA.

Erie? Please. Erie is a bottomless pit...steel ain't comin' back to America anytime soon! I get this feeling Erie suburbs are a little better off than the city of Erie, but...Erie is still a depressed, ever-struggling county/area. Nobody wants to touch Erie. I haven't seen news about rescuing Erie..or eastern Ohio for that matter.

Oftentimes, Berks county gets included in the Philadelphia statistical reports. I suppose it's close enough to Philadelphia. But it's isolated enough to be its own metro area. Reading is just that. Reading area.

Disagree completely. Lancaster, York, Harrisburg and the other towns in south central PA were all established around the same time as cities like Baltimore and DC and could CERTAINLY exist without the other. York only recently began to see a surge in commuters from Baltimore (who mainly reside in the southern part of the county, anyway). I think it is misleading and incorrect to say that south central PA would be desolate without cities in Maryland.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 8,985 times
Default Huntingdon Area

If you fold the map of PA in half with the fold running from north to south, my town, Mount Union, is pretty much, right on the center line. Being south of the center fold running east to west, I've always considered my area south central PA. But... we are not included in this forum. Where would I fit in here?
Rjenki961
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania