Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:49 AM

5 posts, read 11,347 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about Waterford Elementary or Fort LeBoeuf schools? Vs. Millcreek? Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustmight View Post
Can anyone tell me anything about Waterford Elementary or Fort LeBoeuf schools? Vs. Millcreek? Thank You
both are decent schools

Old 01-16-2010, 05:49 PM

392 posts, read 1,062,006 times
I would think Ft. LeBoeuf would have better schools, seeing as how there aren't as many students. However, Millcreek's schools are very well thought-of also.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:54 PM

10 posts, read 30,136 times
Would anyone please comment on options on good after school programs in city of Erie or Millcreek - onsite or off site, for 7th-8th graders? I'm looking for a safe place where children have time to work on their homework and participate in recreational sports and other activities. I plan for my move to Erie this summer and is not able to find this information online or by calling the school districts.

Thanks.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:27 PM

6 posts, read 9,348 times
To the original poster. I was born and raised in Erie and lived here until I was 18, moved to Pittsburgh to attend University and worked there after, and was lucky to spend the past 2 years of my life living and working in Marina Del Rey, CA in LA.

Coming back to Erie was a big wake up call for me. I'm not sure where in the west you're from, but Erie is a lot different than it is out West. There are positives and negatives.

You had asked about the weather. I hope you don't mind snow and not seeing the sun for 7 months out of the year. As others have mentioned, it would be best to stay in Erie and not commute from Edinboro because that's the snow belt and the drives would be dangerous and difficult. There are many potholes to test your suspension after a long winter so watch for those.

Traffic lights are more spaced out than out West so not as much stop and go and average car speed is higher. Some people have a tendency to tailgate and are not as respectful on the roads. Erie people are probably reading this thinking wait LA has more respectful drivers than in Erie? Yes they do! By a mile. In LA bicycles are everywhere and also motorcycles can split lanes so you don't have people whipping in and out of lanes for fear of hitting a biker or pedestrian. Some people in Erie drive like maniacs and whip in and out of lanes. But just some. It is what it is.

Millcreek public schools give other schools a run for their money because after all you don't have to pay for your child to go there. But if you insist on the best send your kids to Prep or Academy.

One last thing I'll mention that you'll probably notice upon arrival but will adjust to. People here keep to themselves a lot more than they do out west. Especially in LA. I think it has something to do with the sun and the weather. My buddy who lived in California his entire life came here and started making small talk randomly to people in the grocery store in line and asking how they were doing and being friendly. A lot of people looked at him like he was crazy. When we left he made a comment to me I'll never forget. "What's up with some of these people? It's like they have darkness in their eyes."

Old 05-27-2014, 01:37 PM

47 posts, read 197,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prep16505 View Post
To the original poster. I was born and raised in Erie and lived here until I was 18, moved to Pittsburgh to attend University and worked there after, and was lucky to spend the past 2 years of my life living and working in Marina Del Rey, CA in LA.

Coming back to Erie was a big wake up call for me. I'm not sure where in the west you're from, but Erie is a lot different than it is out West. There are positives and negatives.

You had asked about the weather. I hope you don't mind snow and not seeing the sun for 7 months out of the year. As others have mentioned, it would be best to stay in Erie and not commute from Edinboro because that's the snow belt and the drives would be dangerous and difficult. There are many potholes to test your suspension after a long winter so watch for those.

Traffic lights are more spaced out than out West so not as much stop and go and average car speed is higher. Some people have a tendency to tailgate and are not as respectful on the roads. Erie people are probably reading this thinking wait LA has more respectful drivers than in Erie? Yes they do! By a mile. In LA bicycles are everywhere and also motorcycles can split lanes so you don't have people whipping in and out of lanes for fear of hitting a biker or pedestrian. Some people in Erie drive like maniacs and whip in and out of lanes. But just some. It is what it is.

Millcreek public schools give other schools a run for their money because after all you don't have to pay for your child to go there. But if you insist on the best send your kids to Prep or Academy.

One last thing I'll mention that you'll probably notice upon arrival but will adjust to. People here keep to themselves a lot more than they do out west. Especially in LA. I think it has something to do with the sun and the weather. My buddy who lived in California his entire life came here and started making small talk randomly to people in the grocery store in line and asking how they were doing and being friendly. A lot of people looked at him like he was crazy. When we left he made a comment to me I'll never forget. "What's up with some of these people? It's like they have darkness in their eyes."
Thanks for the response. I'm the OP of this thread but we actually lived in Erie for just a year back in 2008/2009 and loved it. We hated to move but had to due to job circumstances. I would have to disagree with you though that Erie drivers are worse than LA/Cali drivers. I spent 35+ years of my life all over southern and northen California and I have not lived in a place with worse drivers. Road rage is rampant in Cali and didn't experience that at all in Erie.

We are currently living in Minnesota and love it here too (3 years). Would never move back to Cali and we do miss Erie and talk about the city often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania