Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 08:12 PM

10 posts, read 40,928 times

Advertisements

Hi All!! I'm New To This Forum But I Am Having A House Built In Hawley Pa. I Am Both Excited And Nervous At The Same Time! I Don't Know How The Job Opportunities Are Out In Pa! So I'm A Little Worried That I Won't Be Able To Find Anything! I've Been Serching Now Even Though We Aren't Moving Till The End Of This Year! But I Work As A Real Estate Accountant And My Boyfriend Is A Gas Utility Worker. Any Ideas Of Good Places To Look For A Job? Also, If Anyone Knows Like Things To Do, Shopping, Dining..etc.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 09:36 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,023,003 times
No advice, but best of luck to you!

Old 02-21-2007, 11:23 PM

62 posts, read 329,266 times
I used to work in HR as a recruiter - that was before mommy hood took over - LOL.

I would suggest the best place to start looking is online...go to all the job boards(monster.com, careerbuilder.com, yahoo.com) and see what different employers in PA are advertising? You can find out local names of newspapers and go online (many have an online version) and you can search out local jobs that way as well. You can also go to a temp/perm hiring agency and let them know you are relocating to the area and looking to work asap when you get there. This way they know you are serious and they can start trying to set up interviews for you. Sometimes if you work in a specific industry see if there is some type of association that may be able to get you a job - since your BF is a gas utility worker, he should contact all the local gas companies and get his resume in there. And if you work in Real Estate, I am sure there is plenty of opportunities out there, as PA is a growing real estate market. I have had many friends who have relocated out of state and had to find work...the ball is in your court, you just have to work at finding the right job for you. Just go on as many interviews as you can get and surely something will fall into place. Good Luck.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:27 PM

Thank you for the info!!

Old 02-22-2007, 08:35 PM

487 posts, read 1,375,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FROM NYC TO PA!! View Post
Hi All!! I'm New To This Forum But I Am Having A House Built In Hawley Pa. I Am Both Excited And Nervous At The Same Time! I Don't Know How The Job Opportunities Are Out In Pa! So I'm A Little Worried That I Won't Be Able To Find Anything! I've Been Serching Now Even Though We Aren't Moving Till The End Of This Year! But I Work As A Real Estate Accountant And My Boyfriend Is A Gas Utility Worker. Any Ideas Of Good Places To Look For A Job? Also, If Anyone Knows Like Things To Do, Shopping, Dining..etc.

Thanks!!
Wow! I Don't Know! Job Hunting! Maybe Scranton! Good Luck!

Old 02-23-2007, 09:01 AM

94 posts, read 458,659 times
Just curious, why are you having a house build in an area you know nothing about? I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just wondering.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:32 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonchaser View Post
Just curious, why are you having a house build in an area you know nothing about? I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just wondering.

Possibly just to start a fresh life in a fresh environment. A lot of people from NYC/NJ have been doing that in recent years---just picking up and moving to the area cold turkey because they've come fed up with the problems they have faced in the city. While that may be great in most aspects, the "there aren't any jobs" comments start erupting left and right as these new residents realize that the Poconos isn't yet a "hotbed" for white-collar work. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre has a much better employment outlook, but you'd have a nearly hour-long commute each way.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:30 AM

My in-laws are moving there too!! Along with my Aunts and Uncles! When we went to visit our aunt and uncle we saw a lot for sale and it was a great price so we bought it! I've living in SI for all my life and its horrible here. It is way to crowded and for what i'm getting a 4 bedroom house in pa for i would only be able to get a condo here. I grew up in an apartment all my life and I don't want to raise my family in one! The traffic here is terrible. I already drive 45 minutes to get to work now so and hour isn't too bad. When we went into the town of honesdale to look around we walked into the shops and oh my goodness everyone was sooo friendly! even at one point when we were waiting to cross the street the cars actually stopped for us! Here you would get run over before someone would let you cross! The town of Hawley seemed like a nice quiet place and a great place to raise a family!

Old 02-25-2007, 09:12 AM

176 posts, read 647,733 times
Default Hawley/Honesdale

I have several friends in SI and visit there every so often. The difference between there and the Honesdale/ Hawley area is like night and day. Every square inch of SI seems to be developed and I understand what you mean about the traffic congestion, costs of living, etc. Honesdale will provide your basics for shopping, such as Walmart and Home Depot, and basic entertainment like movies and bowling...but you'll likely drive to the Scranton area for bigger events and activities. It's not a bad drive, though, on either rte 84 or business rte 6.
You also inquired about dining in your initial post: Elegante's,a nice Italian restaurant on Main St, has good food and is popular. For a nice and quiet lunch you should try Jennz' Place on Main St. Across the street from Jennz is Roman's cafe, which is more of a deli with delicious meats and Polish foods.
Let us know what other hobbies and interests you have. There are some nice hiking trails, waterfalls, etc nearby if you're into the outdoors. Of course the heart of the Poconos isn't far off, and there's lots to see and do there, but you'll want to avoid the place on weekends, or you'll feel like you're back on SI

Old 02-25-2007, 10:01 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FROM NYC TO PA!! View Post
My in-laws are moving there too!! Along with my Aunts and Uncles! When we went to visit our aunt and uncle we saw a lot for sale and it was a great price so we bought it! I've living in SI for all my life and its horrible here. It is way to crowded and for what i'm getting a 4 bedroom house in pa for i would only be able to get a condo here. I grew up in an apartment all my life and I don't want to raise my family in one! The traffic here is terrible. I already drive 45 minutes to get to work now so and hour isn't too bad. When we went into the town of honesdale to look around we walked into the shops and oh my goodness everyone was sooo friendly! even at one point when we were waiting to cross the street the cars actually stopped for us! Here you would get run over before someone would let you cross! The town of Hawley seemed like a nice quiet place and a great place to raise a family!
I've also been to Honesdale on a few occasions (never been to Hawley), and I'm constantly taken aback by how different and much more laid-back it is even than middle-paced SCRANTON, much less fast-paced Staten Island! The people up there stopped for me at crosswalks to let me cross, the historic architecture was very cute, and one person who inquired about my photo tour was very supportive, saying it was "nice to see the youth getting involved in helping the town." If I wasn't a "city boy" by nature, then Honesdale would be the perfect place for me to open up my own Accounting firm and raise my family. Hawley, from what I hear, is very nice as well---it's just smaller and a long drive from everything. I wish you the best of luck in your move! Just remember that you'll have a pretty good haul to get to and from work---either to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Monroe County (Tobyhanna Army Depot, Sanofi-Pasteur Pharmaceuticals, etc.), or to the Hudson Valley of NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania