Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 07:56 AM

6 posts, read 47,849 times

Advertisements

I am looking for any information that will be useful to me when I arrive there at Fort Indiantown Gap. My husband has been active duty army for 14 years and we have recieved orders to move to Fort Indiantown Gap. We are from a big city called Tulsa, Oklahoma and have pretty much been city dwellers our entire military career. He has served in Iraq twice and we are looking for a bit of quite time. We have never been this far north and would like some insite on what to do and what not to do. What towns are close enough to post? What are the elementary schools like in the area? Do they have homes for rent there? Can't seem to find much online. What the weather is like? When does summer start and how hot does it actually get there? How much snow on an average does it get? Is it true that it is really lame there, but really nice if u like outdoorsy stuff, which I do? Thanks for any information that you can offer me.......

MJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 10:08 AM

164 posts, read 200,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstyjkt2002 View Post
I am looking for any information that will be useful to me when I arrive there at Fort Indiantown Gap. My husband has been active duty army for 14 years and we have recieved orders to move to Fort Indiantown Gap. We are from a big city called Tulsa, Oklahoma and have pretty much been city dwellers our entire military career. He has served in Iraq twice and we are looking for a bit of quite time. We have never been this far north and would like some insite on what to do and what not to do. What towns are close enough to post? What are the elementary schools like in the area? Do they have homes for rent there? Can't seem to find much online. What the weather is like? When does summer start and how hot does it actually get there? How much snow on an average does it get? Is it true that it is really lame there, but really nice if u like outdoorsy stuff, which I do? Thanks for any information that you can offer me.......

MJ
There is nothing out there

Stay away from the hunters

Lebanon, PA is the closest town

Average snowfall about 35-40 inches

Summers as hot as hell 80-90 most days

The place is really lame, boring as hell.

Nearest school a few miles away

Good luck finding housing, I didn't see no houses...

Old 02-21-2007, 05:57 PM

6 posts, read 46,511 times
Hey. My family received orders for there too! Where are you all going? We're in Missouri now and going to Ft. Indiantown Gap in about a month. I'm also looking for the best schools around the area. Have you had any luck??

Old 02-21-2007, 06:11 PM

Sorry, I meant to ask WHEN are you going?

Old 02-21-2007, 06:14 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Fort Indiantown Gap isn't quite as bleak as the other reply stated. You're only about 25 minutes or so from the Harrisburg area, which is our state capital. It's there that you'll find plenty of shopping, dining, nightlife, etc. The area is home to Memorial Lake State Park, and Hershey, home to a major amusement park and a chocolate factory, is only about 20 minutes or so away. The immediate area itself is very remote and "blech", but you're in close proximity to plenty of amenities! The Appalachian Trail also juts through the area for some great hiking!

Old 02-21-2007, 07:00 PM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:

MJ
I've never been to Indiantown Gap, but I did some research to answer a few of your questions.

The average highs are in the low and mid 80's for June, July, and August. January the coldest month, has a high temperatue average in the high 30's. Not really bad weather at all. All in all the climate won't be a drastic change from Tulsa...a little more snow in PA, slight cooler in PA, a little less wind, and a few more clouds. Check out the data on this website - very similar climate all in all.

Like the other poster said, if you like city life commute from nearby Harrisburg/Hershey and etc...

Don't let other posters put a fear of the area into you before you get the chance to see it for yourself.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:48 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,484 times
I lived in the area for about 30 years. It's a very rural area. If you love nature, you'll love it. The spring, summer and fall seasons are beautiful. The winter time is very stark, unless it snows, then it's kind of nice. It's great hunting, hiking, fishing in the lakes, streams and mountains

Old 02-22-2007, 05:02 AM

6 posts, read 47,849 times
Thanks for the information I got from everyone. My worst fears are coming true it seems. Oh well, I can make any where home. Been doing that as an army wife for as long as I can remember. Thanks again!

Old 02-24-2007, 02:42 AM

2 posts, read 12,548 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information I got from everyone. My worst fears are coming true it seems. Oh well, I can make any where home. Been doing that as an army wife for as long as I can remember. Thanks again!
Now, now.. don't worry! I saw your call for help so I decided to join this site just to offer my experiences.

I grew up near the area. My parents moved to a mountain village just outside the border of Indiantown Gap (referred to as "the Gap") when I graduated high school.

Indiantown Gap is rural, but like most people have replied, it is close to some great towns, like Hershey!

SCHOOLS:
The elementary school located just on the Gap's property line is Lickdale Elementary School and is within the Northern Lebanon School District. I'm not sure how it was in Tulsa, but in PA, children attend the elementary school closest to their homes, in most cases. If you will live on base, for example, your child(ren) would attend that school. Northern Lebanon S.D. is a great school system. My whole family attended and graduated there. Children living in Jonestown, Fredericksburg, North Lebanon, East Hanover, Ono, and parts of Lebanon (not within city limits) would attend this school district.

The address of F. Indiantown Gap is Annville, PA. Annville is a rural community just south of the Gap. The town of Annville is about 10 minutes by car. The school district for this town is Annville-Cleona S.D. I'm partial to this district because I graduated there. Children living in North or South Annville, the town of Annville, or the Borough of Cleona, would attend this district.

These two school districts are the closest to the Gap. They are both known for creating outstanding atheletes, artists, and musicians.

PLACES TO LIVE
I would recommend living in Annville or Cleona. I grew up with a few kids whose parents worked at the Gap. Hopefully now that you have some names of neighboring towns, you will be able to find some rental properties online. However I would never discredit other nearby towns. Overall you will find the area to be full of friendly people. I have brought friends from other countries and they loved the atmosphere of this area. It's full of German heritage and Pennsylvania Dutch influence.

CITY LIFE
Lebanon is the name of the county where the Gap is found. It's also the name of the city which is the county seat of Lebanon County. It's a small city with less than 15,000 people. I, too, consider myself somewhat of a city dweller. However Lebanon is not for me.

Harrisburg, the state capital, is just 30 minutes from the Gap. It has greatly improved over the years. The night life is fun, new restaurants pop up every month. There's a great park called City Island.. it's an island in the middle of the Susquehanna River, featuring a small baseball stadium, parks, concessions, and a great walk. I lived in Harrisburg for 9 years prior to moving to Florida. I really miss it. I'll surely return to live there again someday. You'll find a big difference in the diversity in Harrisburg. The city has just under 50,000 people within the limits, and more than 450,000 in the Greater Harrisburg area. Sadly though the school district has suffered and a result the control of the district was handed over to the mayor. Though it's making improvements, it may or may not be the best choice for school enrollment.

WEATHER
You will get all 4 seasons in this area. Spring is very pleasant and sometimes long overdue. Summers are not always hot and humid, but there is usually a streak of painfully humid, no-rain-in-sight heat. Autumn is beautiful and you will appreciate the areas around the Gap which falls within the Appalachian Trail. Winters are usually mild until suddenly-- it is cold. Snow accumulation has not been steady, but sometimes when it falls, it really falls.

WHAT TO DO OR NOT TO DO
Of course just like any area, chuches/synagogues and schools offer lots of social programs. People in the area love food. You will surely make lots of friends. Cental PA is a very patriotic part of the country.

Do visit Hershey, Lancaster (known for the Amish), the Pocono Mountains, and take advantage of being only 2 hours from Philadelphia and Baltimore.
Don't ask your grocer for beer or liquor. In PA, there are separate stores for that. Liquor stores are owned by the state. People will direct you to a "State Store."

I hope to see your worries change to ambition for your next move. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2007, 07:04 AM

Dear adamsouthfl:

Wow thats a lot of great info. My family is also in the military and getting ready to move to Ft. Indiantown Gap. Which of the little towns in the area are cute, quaint little towns with a little main street with shops and stores? I love that atmosphere and was wondering if any one of the towns were like this? I know it sounds weird but I've always wanted to live in a place like this with great schools but also would not be too far from good shopping and restaurants. I also have a daughter that will be attending high school in the fall and am looking for the absolute BEST High School to send her to. Thanks for any info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania