Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 12:48 PM

24 posts, read 201,389 times

Advertisements

While looking for the perfect place to move to from Florida (that heat!) We have checked out numerous cities: Chicago, Raleigh, Columbus- but my wife has family in Philly and I do love the landscape and proximity to DC, NY....
Everything that we look for in a place is right there, but we have one MAJOR concern. Are there any teaching jobs in the Philadelphia suburbs- Chester, Montgomery...Perhaps someone out there is a teacher and can help me.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2006, 06:35 PM

221 posts, read 994,193 times
Exclamation Perhaps Another Career????

I'm sorry to tell you that, unless you are a 22-yr-old local person who graduated from a local college magna *** laude- you are better off changing careers. Getting a teaching job in PA is very, very tough. If you are secondary math/science- you might stand a chance. If you are elementary- it is next to impossible. If you want to teach in Center City Philly- you might stand a chance. The nice, neat, inviting districts do NOT need teachers. And MANY will not hire the folks who have subbed in their districts- they just don't have a need for new hires. Seriously, not to be negative, but I cannot even begin to count the # of great teachers who have had to flee this state to find work elsewhere. Of course, it comes down to your own personal experiences, but, mine have shown me that new teachers are NOT needed in this state. Send me a message if you'd like, but I know from experience!

Last edited by Oldiebutgoodie26; 06-13-2006 at 06:40 PM..

Old 06-24-2006, 04:35 PM

23 posts, read 70,827 times
I used to teach in Philly...and left for another state. Philly does have a major need for teachers-even in elementary. However, since you would not have any senority, the only schools that you would get are the schools that you probably would not want. Schools with a high violence rate...perhaps unhelpful principals, located in an area of high crime...and the suburbs have so many applications for teachers that you would really need to SHINE (be bilingual,..have some special talent that all of the other teachers do not have...) sorry!

Old 06-25-2006, 03:55 PM

70 posts, read 128,337 times
I got a job teaching in a suburban/rural district in PA right out of school, but then:

1. I had a "prestigious" undergrad degree (not that it got me a job in my field!)

2. I had 38 post-grad credits

3. I am a HS math teacher

They did stick me with the "bad" kids but I found them much easier to teach and must less obnoxious than the supposed "honors" students.

Overall, it's pretty impossible to find a job teaching in the Philly suburbs but that's because the pay is very high ($95K a year in Chadds Ford!) and they get 500 applications for every position. The rest of the state, I'd say you have a chance - having a coaching background is a big plus.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:07 PM

24 posts, read 201,389 times
I was afraid of that. It was a nice idea though. Thanks.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:44 PM

12 posts, read 57,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldiebutgoodie26
I'm sorry to tell you that, unless you are a 22-yr-old local person who graduated from a local college magna *** laude- you are better off changing careers.
Even that won't help you. I have a 22yo who DID graduate magna and even he is having problems finding a job. His problem is that he is Music Ed. and there aren't many of those available in Eastern PA

Last edited by Yac; 07-18-2006 at 02:33 PM..

Old 07-18-2006, 04:46 PM

221 posts, read 994,193 times
Default Shame

...and that's a shame, b/c he's probably incredible at teaching music. I know, the couple of schools I've been at have had music teachers working for them for thiry-five years. It's a great gig- if you can get it. Sorry for your son and the kids he could be inspiring.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:25 PM

40 posts, read 225,978 times
PA is one of the highest paid states for teaching in the union. My parents are teachers and I was thinking about it too. I remember my advisor in education telling me that if you didn't atleast have a 3.7 GPA most schools (minus a city district) won't look at your resume. My dad had luck getting a job down in Maryland. It is an hour commute from Lancaster, but the pay is as good as it is up here.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:11 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I hate to continue on with the sourness, but things don't improve much as you head away from the suburbs of Philly and into the "boonies" of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre either. While our teachers are generally compensated between $50,000-$70,000, competition here is VERY fierce for positions. The only light at the end of the tunnel is that here in Northeastern Pennsylvania, most of my teachers in high school (I'm only 19 now) were already pushing 60, which means there may be a mass exodus of retirees and a huge glut of open positions in the next few years. There ARE opportunities at Pocono districts such as Pleasant Valley, Pocono Mountain, etc., but most of those don't pay as well as they do in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, and supposedly there is a "gang" problem in the high schools there, according to a few of my teachers who relocated to our area for a "safer" atmosphere. I wish your family the best of luck in your pursuit of greener and "cooler" pastures, but PA is just not ripe for employment in the educational field right now. ;o(

Old 07-22-2006, 05:06 PM

158 posts, read 814,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk1093
I got a job teaching in a suburban/rural district in PA right out of school, but then:

1. I had a "prestigious" undergrad degree (not that it got me a job in my field!)

2. I had 38 post-grad credits

3. I am a HS math teacher

They did stick me with the "bad" kids but I found them much easier to teach and must less obnoxious than the supposed "honors" students.

Overall, it's pretty impossible to find a job teaching in the Philly suburbs but that's because the pay is very high ($95K a year in Chadds Ford!) and they get 500 applications for every position. The rest of the state, I'd say you have a chance - having a coaching background is a big plus.
Um, I know teachers in the Chadds Ford SD and I don't know a single one that makes anything even close to $95,000/year. I know teachers at St. Joe's Prep and they don't make close to that.

I'm curious as to where you went to UG with a math degree...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania