Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 PM

138 posts, read 808,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I don't know where you are getting your numbers from, Youngstown has had the highest murder rate per capita in the US a number of times throughout the 90's. And pardon me if I'm wrong, but I believe their populations is more like 95K. But look up Youngstown and Gary Indiana, both old steel towns, both boasting the most murders per capita in the US many times through out the 90's and 2K's.

You really need to check your facts on Erie's murders too. I can name you two just within the past couple of months, that I believe were mentioned earlier in this thread.
Here look it up!!!! haha

Youngstown, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 07:23 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,699,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb69 View Post
You edited your post from last evening, you originally said it only had 56 thousand residents

Old 12-02-2008, 04:25 PM

55 posts, read 189,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb69 View Post
No I only mention the triple shooting because 1 murder in a city as large as erie is really great so I highly doubt theres a problem within the city.
I'm aware of what you said i'm just trying to point out theres no poor area in the city and i'm not trying to "diss" erie thats just real life.
I don't know where you're getting only 1 murder for Erie. I wish that was the case.

"no poor area in the city"?????? You have to be kidding. ERIE"S POVERTY RATE IS TWO TIMES THE NATIONAL AVERAGE.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:35 PM

55 posts, read 189,899 times
No one is trying to compare Erie and Youngstown. You, mrb69, are the only one who brought Youngstown into the discussion.

Yes, Youngstown's city population is smaller than Erie's, but its metro area population is more than double Erie's. The two cities were the same size in the 1960s, but Youngstown has lost more people than Erie has. Erie has lost around 60,000 people, while Youngstown has lost around 80,000.

Youngstown's much larger metro area is a major reason for the higher crime rate within its city limits.

You sound like a very young person, who really doesn't understand demographics and how statistical studies are composed.

Youngstown has a much higher crime rate than Erie. That's a fact, but that does not mean that Erie does not have violent crime or "ghetto" neighborhoods. Youngstown has nothing to do with this discussion.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
You edited your post from last evening, you originally said it only had 56 thousand residents
Haha no I didn't

Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
No one is trying to compare Erie and Youngstown. You, mrb69, are the only one who brought Youngstown into the discussion.

Yes, Youngstown's city population is smaller than Erie's, but its metro area population is more than double Erie's. The two cities were the same size in the 1960s, but Youngstown has lost more people than Erie has. Erie has lost around 60,000 people, while Youngstown has lost around 80,000.

Youngstown's much larger metro area is a major reason for the higher crime rate within its city limits.

You sound like a very young person, who really doesn't understand demographics and how statistical studies are composed.

Youngstown has a much higher crime rate than Erie. That's a fact, but that does not mean that Erie does not have violent crime or "ghetto" neighborhoods. Youngstown has nothing to do with this discussion.
Haha no scottrpriester compared Erie to Youngstown not me!

Erie does not have a ghetto......The west side is middle to upper-class and the east side is lower-middle to middle class. If you can show me pics of the "ghetto" areas you talk about maybe could help out your statement.

And you seem to be a man who can not read....maybe you and scottrpriester are the same person because I highly doubt there are more then 1 person who can't read in this group.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:29 PM

370 posts, read 1,015,819 times
Quote:
I don't know where you're getting only 1 murder for Erie. I wish that was the case.

"no poor area in the city"?????? You have to be kidding. ERIE"S POVERTY RATE IS TWO TIMES THE NATIONAL AVERAGE.

I think a "poor area" isn't only classified by 'I wonder how much these people make' but also classified as an area that you wouldn't enter after midnight, and would be nervous driving your car in.

There's no area like that in Erie that I've ever come into contact with.

If there's anywhere in Erie that you would consider a ghetto, please inform me so I can take a trip there this weekend and see what people in Erie consider a ghetto. I'd be extremely interested. Unless it's a trailer park or something

Old 12-03-2008, 10:10 AM

33 posts, read 328,287 times
haha this post just cracks me up. erie... ghetto... haha ha ha ha. i wouldn't even put erie close to being "ghetto". theres alot worse places out there than erie.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:32 PM

71 posts, read 302,625 times
Erie is like every other city... you have your good parts and your bad parts... As far as only 1 murder... Im pretty sure that is false this year.. I read that they are close to breaking the record for most murder's in the city within a year. Overall, Erie is a pretty safe city when it comes to crime... Their are alot of parts of Erie though that do look rundown...

Old 12-03-2008, 02:38 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Wesleyville, for the most part, is not ghetto. Certain blocks in Wesleyville are pretty run down, but it is not a high crime area. However, one of the highest crime areas in the city borders Wesleyville, so maybe that's what psulions2007 was thinking about.

It seems that many of the posters on here probably have never spent too much time within the city of Erie. By that I mean actually living in the city's neighborhoods, not just going downtown to go to the bars, ballgame, concert, or bayfront, and then driving back to the suburbs of Millcreek, Harborcreek, etc.

Overall, Erie is a relatively safe city, but it does have neighborhoods that would definitely be considered ghettoes (Lower East Side, Lower West Side, Parade St corridor, Buffalo Rd corridor containing numerous housing projects, eastside central city from E 14th to E 26th aka - "the Holly", former Little Italy area/West 18th St corridor... I could go on. Without question, there is a good bit of crime in these areas. People seem to think that because a city is smaller, that it does not have the same problems that bigger cities do. That just shows complete ignorance. Smaller cities have all of the same problems that larger cities do, just on a smaller scale due to a lower population.

Depending on what you consider ghetto, I would have to answer "yes and no" to your original question. Much of the city is very rundown and one has to realize that the city's poverty rate is around 20%... that's pretty "ghetto" in my book. The city has its moments (within the past 2 months there have been a few murders... including a 15 yr old boy and an 86 yr old woman and a number of shootings... in Erie's troubled neighborhoods), but the crime rate overall is not terrible.

It is funny to me when I read what some of these posters say, as if they really know the city's neighborhoods well. It's very easy to avoid seeing what Erie is really like if you live in/visit nicer parts of the city (Frontier area, Glenwood, South Erie, West Side, Upper East/West Sides, suburbs) and go to Presque Isle, the Millcreek Mall area, Bayfront, central Downtown. You'll never see the bad areas of town... you can do that in any city.

If any of you are really interested in actually learning about Erie, go volunteer at the JFK, Booker T Washington, or MLK centers, spend a little time in one of the inner city public schools, or better yet, how bout this: get out of your car and walk east for about 10 blocks over East 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th... really, see what you think.
Actually, now the poverty rate is at 24.6%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania