Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 05:23 PM

138 posts, read 809,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Just to let people know....abandoned houses do not make a city dangerous.
Yes it does and it also makes the area look worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Actually, yes, that does really look like Erie:
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/DSC05545.jpg

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/DSC05546.jpg

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/DSC05568.jpg
two murders outside this club within the past 6 months

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/DSC05597.jpg

These photos are from a photo thread by Evergrey, and represent some of the condition of many of the city's neighborhoods. However, they defintiely do not represent Erie's worst areas.

Though I agree with the others that abandoned houses do not automatically equal ghetto. No one has ever tried tried to compare Erie with Philadelphia or other larger cities as far as the extent of "ghetto" neighborhoods go. Erie, as I've said numerous times in this very thread, overall is a relatively safe city, but does have areas that many would consider "ghetto".

But, mrb69, since the photos you posted are your idea of "ghetto" (as you specifically stated, "Here's a picture of a ghetto"), then I guess you just totally destroyed your entire argument. Good job.
One abandoned house is nothing compared to rows of houses abandoned just on one street in my city.

Wow you showed 3 pictures and a bar!!!!

Old 12-07-2008, 06:10 PM

55 posts, read 189,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb69 View Post
One abandoned house is nothing compared to rows of houses abandoned just on one street in my city.

Wow you showed 3 pictures and a bar!!!!
Please. You've completely lost the argument with this one. You killed yourself! You post photos which you claim represent a true ghetto, and then I post pictures which show the exact same thing Erie (even with such similar architectural styles that they could easily fit in either city!). The photos are of singular houses, yes, but you have no idea what the block is like. In fact, in most any city, when you have an abandoned house on a street, there are almost always others right next door, across the street, etc... I know that to be absolutely true in Erie.

This was never a city vs city argument. If your city is more "ghetto", good, congratulations. I'd rather not have that title.

Face it, you killed yourself. Too bad. Argument over. Enough with this stupid topic. You can write all the "haha"s and "wow"s and whatever else you want... but you completely killed your entire argument.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Please. You've completely lost the argument with this one. You killed yourself! You post photos which you claim represent a true ghetto, and then I post pictures which show the exact same thing Erie (even with such similar architectural styles that they could easily fit in either city!). The photos are of singular houses, yes, but you have no idea what the block is like. In fact, in most any city, when you have an abandoned house on a street, there are almost always others right next door, across the street, etc... I know that to be absolutely true in Erie.

This was never a city vs city argument. If your city is more "ghetto", good, congratulations. I'd rather not have that title.

Face it, you killed yourself. Too bad. Argument over. Enough with this stupid topic. You can write all the "haha"s and "wow"s and whatever else you want... but you completely killed your entire argument.

Wow you won!

I've walked down every single street you have mention that is so called bad and no way is close to being bad as buffalo and philly.

Dude all i'm going to say is a lower-middle class area isn't a poor area.

Theres no ghetto in Erie.

Theres no bad areas on the west side.

Two murders at a club is nothing.

When a city with over a 100k pop. only has 1 murder almost each year that doesn't make it crime filled.

Does Erie have the same mobs and gangs as Buffalo and Philly? NO!!!!

The only thing diffent between Erie and Philly is that Philly has a ghetto and crime.

I win!

No matter what you or I say THERES NO BAD AREA IN ERIE.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:10 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,219 times
Quote:
Yes it does and it also makes the area look worse.
Not at all. There are areas with abandoned houses in the suburbs and in rural areas. Would you say those are dangerous? No. There are whole neighborhoods that have been abandoned in Detroit that one would hardly call dangerous...there's just no one living there.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:19 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Scranton's population of 72,500 is half of its heyday population of 145,000. Does the fact that it is "half-abandoned" make it a dangerous place in which to reside? Considering it's one of the state's safest large cities I should think not.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Not at all. There are areas with abandoned houses in the suburbs and in rural areas. Would you say those are dangerous? No. There are whole neighborhoods that have been abandoned in Detroit that one would hardly call dangerous...there's just no one living there.

Yea but in the ghetto an abandoned house is a great spot for crime.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:53 AM

71 posts, read 302,713 times
Quote:
Yea but in the ghetto an abandoned house is a great spot for crime.
What... Great spot for crime... Yeah OK...

Old 12-08-2008, 06:55 AM

71 posts, read 302,713 times
I think these might people the same people on here that I argued with before... I was in another thread where they said shoes hanging on telephone wires meant that you were in a bad area/ghetto... ha ha...

Old 12-08-2008, 07:01 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
I was in another thread where they said shoes hanging on telephone wires meant that you were in a bad area/ghetto
Or you're in a neighborhood populated by college students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania