Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2006, 07:39 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee ramone View Post
ScrantonWilkesBarre, your'e young and naive.

Once the New Yawk City carpetbagers rive the property rates through the roofs, and local prices for daily goods follow suit as a result, and all local flavor has been chased out - you'll see them pick up the rugs, roll 'em up and head to the next spot.

RememberLong Island? New Jersey? The Pocconos? the lsit continues.

With the NY influx comes the crime, too, as Wilkes-Barre expereinces daily.

Mark my word, when you're older and have life experience you'll regret your naive optimism in lieu of cautious optimism.

NEPA isn't perfect, but New York is f'd up adn the state is the worse for it.
New Yorkers hardly have a monopoly on greed, arrogance & stupidity. Case in point a certain politician you referred to. I assure you property rates have skyrocketed in many parts of the US and across the world. My friend from Poland said it's up 30% there in the last year. I don't think it's all NYers. Skapegoating & demonizing (NANCY PALOSI WILL EAT YOUR CHILDREN AND FORCE YOU TO HAVE GAY SEX!!!) is not very productive. I hope that's the positive msg. of the election. It absolves you of all responsibility regarding the direction and condition of your community because it's somebody elses fault. Usually it's more productive to look closer to home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 12:10 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatPhotography View Post
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Now I am REALLY embarrassed ; I am originally from Lackawanna County.
Hmmmmm, Sullivan's within driving distance of the extended family AND I might be able to have my acreage. Thanks BKP and SWB (where's Salerno's picture )

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:11 AM..

Old 11-09-2006, 04:25 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Hmmmmm, Sullivan's within driving distance of the extended family AND I might be able to have my acreage. Thanks BKP and SWB (where's Salerno's picture )
OMG! I completely forgot about Salerno's (along with Amadeo's) on my Old Forge photo tour! Sorry! I guess I'm a bit biased; I still drool over Arcaro & Genell's pasta and Revello's white pizza, yet I've never eaten at Salerno's before! In any event, it's apparent that Old Forge has the highest concentration of Italian heritage in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre region. (Especially the Sicilian hotties that abound in town! GRROOWWWLLL!!! Paul's on the Prowl!)

Old 11-09-2006, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
By the way, Sullivan County is within reasonable distance to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre for infrequent trips; I was referring to people moving up here and then getting "shell-shocked" that there's no 24-hour "big-box" stores or coffee chains that charge $4.50 for a cup of java! That's where "BlackCat" and I differ; she doesn't realize that most of the "prospectors" moving to our quadrant of the state come from NYC/NJ the most heavily-urbanized region of the country! They may say that they can easily "sacrifice" urban amenities, but it's a totally different story once they arrive and take over! Just look at the controversy now in Stroud Township, Monroe County about the new Kohl's/Lowe's complex and the havoc it's creating---This is yet another blemish on Monroe County's reputation as a "hidden getaway", in my opinion. If you New Yorkers and New Jersians want to have Armani Exchange, Starbucks, Duane-Reeds, etc. on every corner, then STOP MOVING HERE! If you know that your family can't live without "being in the middle of the action", then stop moving and here in attempts to create a new "action center" in Monroe County!

BlackCat, it would be nice to hear that there are New Yorkers moving to Shunk and Lopez without shock, boredom, and misery, but I doubt that's really true, as we now see that happening in the Poconos (and soon Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, since we're the next in line to be devoured by BosWash!)

Old 11-09-2006, 05:20 PM

6 posts, read 33,877 times
I know several people that moved here from NYC after 9/11...

It's not the kind of place to live if you need to be busy every minute of every day.. If you need certain items to survive.. we either have it, or can get it.. There is only one 24 hour business, it's a gas station, the only one of three in the county with Diesel fuel.

If you need to commute from here, remember that in the winter it's a pain in the posterior to get south or north.. Redrock, Sonestown, Laddsburg Mtns. are unforgiving to travelers in any amount of snow.

No offense or rudeness intended toward SWB, but you make Sullivan Co. sound like a hell on earth. If you don't like wilderness or rural.. Visit here, buy a cabin here, spend your money here.. Just don't move here.

And my statistics come from the office of planning and federal data.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:53 PM

Quote:

It's not the kind of place to live if you need to be busy every minute of every day.. If you need certain items to survive.. we either have it, or can get it.. There is only one 24 hour business, it's a gas station, the only one of three in the county with Diesel fuel.

If you need to commute from here, remember that in the winter it's a pain in the posterior to get south or north.. Redrock, Sonestown, Laddsburg Mtns. are unforgiving to travelers in any amount of snow.

No offense or rudeness intended toward SWB, but you make Sullivan Co. sound like a hell on earth. If you don't like wilderness or rural.. Visit here, buy a cabin here, spend your money here.. Just don't move here.

Care to elaborate on how I told people that Sullivan County was "hell on earth?" Other than the tourist trap scenario comment, I don't see any other "bashing" of Sullivan County. By the way, it's nice to hear that those post-9/11 New Yorkers relocated to Sullivan County and were able to instantly adapt to such a slower pace of life---They must be a different, more relaxed breed than the WHINY ones moving to the Poconos! LOL!

Old 11-13-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
OMG! I completely forgot about Salerno's (along with Amadeo's) on my Old Forge photo tour! Sorry! I guess I'm a bit biased; I still drool over Arcaro & Genell's pasta and Revello's white pizza, yet I've never eaten at Salerno's before! In any event, it's apparent that Old Forge has the highest concentration of Italian heritage in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre region. (Especially the Sicilian hotties that abound in town! GRROOWWWLLL!!! Paul's on the Prowl!)
Goodness, dear, restrain yourself Try Salerno's white pie - to die for! When I come North for the flower business during Christmas - kinda like an itinerant laborer - that's the 2nd place I go (first is Mom's cooking).
I do not want to be near anyone - Sullivan County is looking better all the time. Y'all be sweet!

Old 11-13-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:

No, they all move to NC and complain that we're "backwards" and "unsofisticated" (spelling?), can't handle snow flurries, and whine about all that they left behind. My question: If you miss it so much, why are you still here? Go back if you're miserable.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:55 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miragenine View Post
We would like to relocate to PA. What would be the best town which is also reasonably affordable? And what would be the ultimate worst and areas to stay way away from?

Thanks!

I'd give a vote to my hometown...Scranton. All the conveniences of a city, but with a small town feel. Established, friendly neighborhoods. Neighborhood schools. Low crime compared to other cities its size in PA. Very low housing prices. Very nice homes can be had for less than $100,000. Sure, there are some bad neighborhoods to be avoided, but that's just about any town.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:33 AM

425 posts, read 1,570,334 times
Chester County Pa is lovely. Great Parks, shopping, dinning and job opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania